decent free photo editor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 hours ago, CollidingNeurons said:

maybe someone can answer this for me, i am a self admitted newbie to this but can you see what editor you used on a picture if you inspect and view source and if so where might i look?

All images (any file, actually) contain meta data and if an image passes through an image editor, the name of that app is almost always put into that data. That data is always there unless the user or hosting service strips that data. However, Flickr keeps the EXIF portion of that data. To see the EXIF, view any image, then click the EXIF link to see it. Though the image editor and other meta data (often stripped by online services) can be viewed in any higher-end image editor such as Affinity Photo or Photoshop (I don't know about Gimp) - and there are many "Meta Data" editors and viewers you can find for Windows or Mac, many are free. In order to see that metadata, you must download the image to your computer as they work on local files.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 6:43 AM, Alyona Su said:

All images (any file, actually) contain meta data and if an image passes through an image editor, the name of that app is almost always put into that data. That data is always there unless the user or hosting service strips that data. However, Flickr keeps the EXIF portion of that data. To see the EXIF, view any image, then click the EXIF link to see it. Though the image editor and other meta data (often stripped by online services) can be viewed in any higher-end image editor such as Affinity Photo or Photoshop (I don't know about Gimp) - and there are many "Meta Data" editors and viewers you can find for Windows or Mac, many are free. In order to see that metadata, you must download the image to your computer as they work on local files.

thank you, havent had time to do this yet but this info seems very helpful

Edited by CollidingNeurons

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Vega Firelyte said:

I personally have never used this one but I will check it out.  I'm always on the lookout for good software that won't cost an arm or a leg.

Its great software with a lot of adjustable filters and adjustments. Happy to help if you need it.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.