FIRESTORM VR FUNCTIONALITY

CrowleyCorp

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

The health problems, which are very real-and as VR take s a stronger hold we'll see more and more of them creep up over the next ten years or so, associated with VR are really difficult to overcome (it's why nearly all VR tech comes with warnings,

You mean the nausea and possible seizures for those who are prone to them?  Are there more?

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

You mean the nausea and possible seizures for those who are prone to them?  Are there more?

Migraines, headaches, blood pressure problems, visual impairments, dizziness, seizures in people who aren't prone to them, light sensitivity, stroke(yep, totally not kidding), not to mention the physical side effects of going from vr back to reality which can cause people to trip, fall, etc..

Not all are as common as others, but, they're all very real possibilities and way more common than some realize. It's actually somewhat ironic since some of these issues are treated by...VR, AR and AI, lol. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Tari Landar said:

Migraines, headaches, blood pressure problems, visual impairments, dizziness, seizures in people who aren't prone to them, light sensitivity, stroke(yep, totally not kidding), not to mention the physical side effects of going from vr back to reality which can cause people to trip, fall, etc..

Not all are as common as others, but, they're all very real possibilities and way more common than some realize. It's actually somewhat ironic since some of these issues are treated by...VR, AR and AI, lol. 

Wow...never experienced any of that.  But then I never use VR for long periods because it's extremely intense and so would take up too much energy I need for other parts of the day.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with giving up and everything to do with the technical limitations of the software itself.

Second Life was not built with VR in mind whatsoever, each update up to a certain point came in before VR was even a proper thing and by the time VR became The Next Big Fad (and a fad it is) ... it was far, far too late to alter the code base to allow for such functionality to be anythig more than a headache or gimmick.

That's the reality and history of the failed Second Life VR attaempts.

Oh yes and who the heck cares what a subsection of teenagers view as a Big Thing? They're flighty and easily manipulated by manufactured trends and such.

• Like 2

Firestorm with VR support? WOULD LOVE TO! I mean it.. I really would! But one small problem.

For us to do so, would require that each of our developers working on it, own a VR headset. And not just one, but one of each brand most likely. We'd also have to purchase headsets for a few of our testers and QA, and of course at least a handful for our key support people.

If I had to hazard a guess... maybe ~20 headsets should do it. Unfortunately, we don't have that kind of money. Not to mention, we are very heavily taxed right now in development areas. Really short handed these days, as there are fewer and fewer developers around SL now.

There was an attempt at FS VR support a while back, can't remember who it was that worked on it now, but it got abandoned. And I heard recently someone else is trying their hand at it. I genuinely wish them luck and hope something comes from it. But unfortunately, it can't be us.

• Like 3

I admire your determination CC. I am in the same boat. I don't expect VR to ever work well in SL, but having experienced it briefly, once, using CtrlAltStudio on the first Rift and an underpowered laptop, I want to do it again! It was amazing to actually be inside my own creations. I wonder how hard it might be to make a VR-only SL viewer, with most of the functionality stripped out so that we could at least go in and have a look around in VR. I doubt it's something anyone would want to spend hours at a time doing, but still exciting to be able to do sometimes, if you have the necessary hardware anyway - which an increasing number of people do.

The Firestorm VR viewer you linked to apparently works for some, although not for me - yet. I have the wrong kind of cpu, but there should be a fix for that soon.

Edited by Bernard Herzog
typo

On 10/15/2019 at 7:31 PM, CrowleyCorp said:

I know the official excuse, "the frame rate is not high enough in Second Life for VR" but it's not valid.  Anybody with a good enough computer to handle VR to begin with means it is good enough to run SL in decent frames, and even if it didn't, low frames does not stop VR from functioning it would merely be a bit choppy.  (if we didn't do things because they were choppy then most of us wouldn't even play Second Life would we)

You must not have a very good PC or VR. No matter how good your PC is, SL won't run well in a lot of circumstances.

VR also REQUIRES a smooth framerate, I'm talking up to 90 FPS per eye. If you're double digits below that, especially below 50-60, nausea will follow. 30 FPS will physically bring me to my knees.

On 10/15/2019 at 8:50 PM, Luna Bliss said:

On 10/15/2019 at 8:55 PM, Tari Landar said:

not to mention the physical side effects of going from vr back to reality which can cause people to trip, fall, etc..

You forgot the physical strain of just doing the motions. There have been a couple times I've rendered my arms and/or shoulders almost unusable for a couple days after a long session of Beat Saber. 😥 There's also a couple positions my other arm just doesn't like and causes "popping" or pain.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:
On 10/15/2019 at 12:50 PM, Luna Bliss said:

On 10/15/2019 at 12:55 PM, Tari Landar said:

not to mention the physical side effects of going from vr back to reality which can cause people to trip, fall, etc..

You forgot the physical strain of just doing the motions. There have been a couple times I've rendered my arms and/or shoulders almost unusable for a couple days after a long session of Beat Saber. 😥 There's also a couple positions my other arm just doesn't like and causes "popping" or pain.

Indeed...some of these games can cause someone to exercise waaaay more than they're used to.  Good not to be so sedentary but I have to be careful not to overdo it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.