Deploy Plans for the week of 2019-10-14

Caleb Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1610 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server:
https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2019-10-03T01%3A12%3A11.531528.html

Second Life RCs:
https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2019-10-11T18%3A12%3A36.531693.html

On Region Restarts:

Regions will be restarted if they have been running for more than 10 days on Tuesday (Main Channel) and Wednesday (RCs) regardless of whether or not new code is being deployed, for the general health and well being of the Simulators. Nothing beats turning it off and then on again ... once in a while.

As always please plan events around these maintenance windows. However, if you are hosting an event on Tuesday or Wednesday when we're not deploying new code, you can restart your region ahead of time to avoid interruptions.

• Thanks 4

I don't understand how this works - when I click main channel get

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2019-10-03T01%3A12%3A11.531528.html

which shows nothing dated 10-14 but 2 dated 10-8 ??

when I click release I get

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2019-10-11T18%3A12%3A36.531693.html

which shows 2 versions dated 10-14?? Which is it?

Will the main channel roll new code this week or just 10 day restarts?

Can't we get   THIS WEEK - THIS VERSION 

THIS WEEK :  no version

• Like 2

Is there a way to tell which day the restart will be on a certain region, without the server name being different now?  It seems like estate regions are always main channel unless the owner opts in to a release candidate channel, so we can be fairly sure that estate regions will be on Tuesdays, but there doesn't seem to be a way to be completely sure without asking the owner.  How do we tell at all on mainland, when last week's release candidate is this week's main server?

Let's say we're working on something complicated tomorrow (Wednesday) morning in a region that's running version 2019-10-03T01:12:11.531528.  How do we tell if we're going to be interrupted by a restart at some point that morning with only 5 minutes notice, if it's on the release candidate channel, or if it's on main channel and just got that version yesterday?  It seems like we can only tell for sure on mainland regions where we already have a restart tracker that keeps track of the last server version.

For once (fanfare), @Miller Thor is correct! 

As far as the dates in the release notes are concerned they are misleading. Simply, they do not show the correct dates.

Given LL's recent record, I don't pay much attention to the dates on the Release Note page.  They'll get it sorted eventually, I hope.

2 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

@Caleb Linden

Is it an oversight that you stopped putting the RC channel names on the deploy threads since last week or is this a deliberate change done to make our lives harder again?  :P

I'm actually totally confused.

My home region (which used to be on SLS, and AFAIK hasn't been moved by request) is reporting release 2019-09-06T22:03:53.530715 - which I thought was the one pulled a couple of weeks back due to the whole scripting fubar situation.

However, the region our gallery space and bar is on, (and which is still SLS as far as I've aware) is reporting 2019-10-03T01:12:11.531528 (so apparently correct), as is my Linden Home region, which has also always been SLS ...

Edited to add: never mind... mis-read my own notes... see below!

Edited by Inara Pey
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Inara Pey said:

I'm actually totally confused.

My home region (which used to be on SLS, and AFAIK hasn't been moved by request) is reporting release 2019-09-06T22:03:53.530715 - which I thought was the one pulled a couple of weeks back due to the whole scripting fubar situation.

However, the region our gallery space and bar is on, (and which is still SLS as far as I've aware) is reporting 2019-10-03T01:12:11.531528 (so apparently correct), as is my Linden Home region, which has also always been SLS ...

Main channel was still on 2019-09-06T22:03:53.530715 until this morning when it got 2019-10-03T01:12:11.531528.  Maybe your home wasn't restarted yet?

14 minutes ago, Sayrah Parx said:

Main channel was still on 2019-09-06T22:03:53.530715 until this morning when it got 2019-10-03T01:12:11.531528.  Maybe your home wasn't restarted yet?

Actually, my bad on this - mis-read my own notes! 715 was actually the release the script fubar was rolled back *to*. So I'll go sit in the corner with a pointy hat on for the rest of the day :)

Edited by Inara Pey

11 hours ago, Cam Mode said:

I don't understand how this works - when I click main channel get

which shows nothing dated 10-14 but 2 dated 10-8 ??

when I click release I get

which shows 2 versions dated 10-14?? Which is it?

Will the main channel roll new code this week or just 10 day restarts?

Can't we get   THIS WEEK - THIS VERSION 

THIS WEEK :  no version

It's confusing, but from what I've tracked, it appears that the deployment dates on the new pages only refer to the *original* date a deployment was made, and which is *not* updated when the release rolls to SLS. Thus, 2019-10-03T01:12:11.531528 will show Tuesday Oct 8th, because that was the date on which it was originally deployed to an RC.

(And yes, I'm aware the 693 notes refer to Monday 14th - I assume that's just a mis-type in the release notes.)

Edited by Inara Pey

@Inara Pey: 715 was the version running on Main Server for the past week.

Your assessment, if correct will make correct reporting and assessment of server versions a lot more confusing.  I really hope that is NOT the case.  We really should be able to see the date on which a version previously released on an RC channel is promoted to Main.

As an aside, my home, on Main for the last few years, has not yet rolled either, so, like you, I am waiting a little anxiously, since it has always previously rolled by now.

ETA: My home has just rolled, so we're still on Main, so I'd guess you are also, Inara.

Edited by Aishagain
Further info

Last Week:

Second Life Server:
(No roll)

Second Life RCs:
https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2019-10-03T01%3A23%3A43.531529.html

531528 was on RC-Magnum last Week and this Week it got released on Mainchanel.

This Week https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2019-10-11T18%3A12%3A36.531693.html comes on all Second Life RC-Regions so it can be released on Mainchanel next Week if there are no Bugs.

The Timestamps shows that Time when the Version was done local and went into the first Testing on SL-Betagrid before it comes on the RC-Chanel. 

For normal User the Timestamps are not important cause they are only important for the  Defs working on it.

Important to knwo for normal User is only the last number. In that case 531693 for the RCs this Week.

Edited by Miller Thor

@Miller Thor: I may be thick, but how do you KNOW 531528 WAS rolled to Magnum, since it doesn't exist as such, any more?

Knowing the date of first testing and Aditi is of little or no use, in my opinion. SL is run on Agni.

Edited by Aishagain

39 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

I may be thick, but how do you KNOW 531528 WAS rolled to Magnum, since it doesn't exist as such, any more?

I know that our 2 Regions are both on RC-Magnum so it was smple to find out witch Version we got. 😉

Even if the server information is no longer officially displayed, nothing has changed in the server version on which the region is located. It is simply no longer displayed, but generally only displayed as an SL server.

@Whirly Fizzle I'll even give you it right. It used to be easier for the simple user, but once you realize that only the last sequence of numbers, which is already familiar, is relevant then you also drive well with the new system.

39 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

Knowing the date of first testing and Aditi is of little or no use, in my opinion. SL is run on Agni.

As I said. The timestamps have only relevance for the defs. For laymen, the last sequence of numbers counts entirely. For more informations About the ISO-Timestamps read https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/version_numbering.html .

Edited by Miller Thor

37 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

@Inara Pey: 715 was the version running on Main Server for the past week.

Your assessment, if correct will make correct reporting and assessment of server versions a lot more confusing.  I really hope that is NOT the case.  We really should be able to see the date on which a version previously released on an RC channel is promoted to Main.

As an aside, my home, on Main for the last few years, has not yet rolled either, so, like you, I am waiting a little anxiously, since it has always previously rolled by now.

ETA: My home has just rolled, so we're still on Main, so I'd guess you are also, Inara.

Yeah. Home just rolled. I was additionally confused as we have a gallery space on the local cluster of region, and that and the home region used to roll pretty much simultaneously - we couldn't simply jump to the gallery to avoid the home roll or vice versa.

Well, if this screed of confused and anxious posts isn't enough to show the LL Operations Team that these revised nomenclatures are a BAD MOVE,  I cannot imagine anything persuading them to revert to a more comprehensible system.

This was supposed to help make reporting less vague?   On the evidence above I'd say "Bin it Oz, it's not going to fly".

Edited by Aishagain
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

Well, if this screed of confused and anxious posts isn't enough to show the LL Operations Team that these revised nomenclatures are a BAD MOVE,  I cannot imagine anything persuading them to revert to a more comprehensible system.

This was supposed to help make reporting less vague?   On the evidence above I'd say "Bin it Oz, it's not going to fly".

Considering I've recently written an entire piece on both of the release processes, viewer and simulator, I'm more than a little embarrassed about getting my version numbers muddled up above!

• Like 3

Whomever was put in charge of this "system" hit their Peter Principle level IMO.

Just don't go work for a birth control pill company. Take Day 1 unless you need day 31 still, in which case, if it February- take  day 12 but relabel wheel 11. Skip 17 and then take 29(which is labeled WE WON'T TELL YOU) And please notice sponsors ads for diapers and prams-- you'll be buying them soon !

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Miller Thor said:

If there were different versions for one or more RC versions, Caleb would have written it for sure.

That is some pretty serious optimism... especially since I have seen Caleb totally forget the Deploys post. Generally he is pretty good. But not "for sure" good.

It is harder for us to know what is where. I agree with Whirly on that point and I too prefer the older system. But, no one here is offering a solution for the problem the Lindens were solving... or tying to solve. Until we do that we aren't likely to get much sympathy from the Lindens.

Figuring what is where isn't that hard. TP to the Blue Steel, Le Tigre, or Magnum sandboxes and check the version numbers. Tedious, but doable.

@Nalates Urriah: Noble sentiment and valid up to a point, but my take is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  And really the previous set up WASN'T broken.  But more....this Release Notes set up that has been introduced would not be so bad if the Lindens would only ensure that the Release dates were correct as Cam suggested for the roll onto each channel, ie Main or RC!  I tend to think there are more aspects to these changes than meet our eyes presently (notwithstanding paranoia).

As an aside, how much longer are BlueSteel, LeTigre and Magnum sandboxes going to be so-named?  Their respective channels officially no longer exist!  Are older LMs still going to be valid, I wonder, because I have to assume that Search by such names will not be valid for long.

It's like so many things the Lindens do, the idea and principle is good but the application doesn't quite work.  It's not WHAT they do but the WAY they do it!

8 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

That is some pretty serious optimism... especially since I have seen Caleb totally forget the Deploys post. Generally he is pretty good. But not "for sure" good.

It is harder for us to know what is where. I agree with Whirly on that point and I too prefer the older system. But, no one here is offering a solution for the problem the Lindens were solving... or tying to solve. Until we do that we aren't likely to get much sympathy from the Lindens.

Figuring what is where isn't that hard. TP to the Blue Steel, Le Tigre, or Magnum sandboxes and check the version numbers. Tedious, but doable.

I'm sorry having to write this... But the thing is, I pay the Lindens, and the service isn't exactly cheap for my finances. It's not my job to find solutions for their problems or any SL problems.

They won't be offering much sympathy? Oh well, it's reciprocal.

Edited by MBeatrix

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1610 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.