Floating Attachment Direction

DelciaWarre

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm attempting to make some floating wings but having an issue with the direction that they move. 

I've tried exporting it with the Z axis up and the X axis up but both ways seem to still cause the object to float in and out instead of up and down.

It is unrigged but attached to the spine. Below is a GIF showing the movement + the script I'm using

https://i.gyazo.com/9dafdef810e30e39344294bd98afd94f.mp4

Your object's Z axis in that image is evidently horizontal.  When your script tells it to move meters*upDown along the Z axis, therefore, it moves the wings horizontally.  If you want them to move vertically, you'll have to make meters*upDown either the X component or the Y component of your script's movement vector instead of the Z component, where it is now.

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Your object's Z axis in that image is evidently horizontal.  When your script tells it to move meters*upDown along the Z axis, therefore, it moves the wings horizontally.  If you want them to move vertically, you'll have to make meters*upDown either the X component or the Y component of your script's movement vector instead of the Z component, where it is now.

I see the meters*updown part but I'm not sure what exactly I would put to tell it do move differently. I believe in the past I had a similar issue with something else and couldn't figure out exactly what I put without getting an error.

Just take a look.  You have written

< 0, 0, meters*upDown >

Since your object's Z axis is horizontal, making meters*upDown the Z component of that vector tells it to move horizontally.  If your object's Y axis is pointing vertically, move the object along Y instead:

< 0, meters*upDown, 0 >

Or if the X axis is the one that's vertical, 

< meters*upDown, 0, 0 >

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Just take a look.  You have written

< 0, 0, meters*upDown >

Since your object's Z axis is horizontal, making meters*upDown the Z component of that vector tells it to move horizontally.  If your object's Y axis is pointing vertically, move the object along Y instead:

< 0, meters*upDown, 0 >

Or if the X axis is the one that's vertical, 

< meters*upDown, 0, 0 >

That fixed it, thank you so much!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.