AMD RX550 vs. Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is anyone running SL using an AMD RD550 (specifically the XFX 4GB model)? I'm trying to get one to work in an Optiplex 3020 (i5-4570) and it stutters to the point it's unusable. Draw distance 128, shadows off, LOD 2.0. and any setting for physics and AA 2x, 4x and 8x. SL is perfectly happy with an Nvidia GT 1030 in the same computer. I'd like to get the RX550 working at least as well so I can keep the 1030 in another computer that isn't compatible with the AMD.

Did you fully remove all drivers left over from the 1030 before installing the drivers for the RX 550? Some older applications will try and use parts of an old driver even if the hardware isn’t there. Though most often that would lead to things just not loading graphically rather than stuttering.

I ran SL on a 560 with no issues, the 550 is far from high end but it should handle SL without issue.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Thanks, I deleted the Nvidia drivers, but I think the problem comes down to running two displays. It ran fine on one, but the second, whether it was running off the AMD card or the Intel graphics stuttered badly. SL on Eyefinity is pretty badass though.

Yeah that would probably do it, multi monitor is still weird sometimes for no reason on Windows.

I guess the best thing to check for in that case is mismatch refresh rates. Even a tiny difference like 59hz vs 60hz on each monitor can cause a gpu to crap the bed. They really do not like mixing refresh rates, sometimes it can cause resources to lock up or it’ll just cause the card to run at 100% the whole time. 
If it’s two different monitors they may be running at a 1, .1 or even .01 hertz difference and could cause that issue. Multiple display output types can do the same, mixing HDMI, Displayport or DVI.

Most of this is an issue with the drivers and windows, those kind of issues are almost nonexistent on Linux for some reason, and workstation equivalent Radeon pro cards with the pro drivers don’t usually have those problems.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.