is SL going to die ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 328 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, raa21 said:

i was a custom tattoo artist..... FYI....need more proof ? 

Did you honestly think people would buy custom tattoos from someone who wasn't active in SL for 5 months? 

FYI, i make them as well.. Know how i keep making sales? I didn't take a 5 month break. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are way too late. SL died the moment it existed, according to people writing "SL IS DEAD!!!!" threads.

If your whole experience with SL has been social islands might be time to try something new.

If SL dies, somebody will just Necro it back again, and you'll get the usual screamers about necro-gaming versus it's not a game versus it's dead Dave versus no it isn't it's just tired out after a lo

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Did you honestly think people would buy custom tattoos from someone who wasn't active in SL for 5 months? 

FYI, i make them as well.. Know how i keep making sales? I didn't take a 5 month break. 

I do not live in SL... I had to take a break .... something called RL life ... and yes people message me about the tattoo and i replied them..... and again yes people waited ... how much do you make without taking the break ? 

Edited by raa21
12 hours ago, LucianoLamento said:

Its going to die due to LL Neglect! Period! SANSAR is taking preference - which is draining the cash-cow SL - which is lagging users to death!  NO HOPE REALLY! 

Sansar? You mean that thing with under 100 daily users? That thing that's almost entirely non-interactive? That thing which is not and was never marketed at SL users at all?

Sansar will not kill Second Life. Second Life already strangled Sansar at birth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Matty Luminos said:

Sansar? You mean that thing with under 100 daily users? That thing that's almost entirely non-interactive? That thing which is not and was never marketed at SL users at all?

Sansar will not kill Second Life. Second Life Linden Lab already strangled Sansar at birth.

ftfy&m

Thing is Sansar was not ready for prime time when LL opened it to the public. The same mistake LL made in 2003 with SL. SL never made it out of the beta stage, neither will Sansar.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2
On 10/22/2019 at 12:20 PM, Selene Gregoire said:

ftfy&m

Thing is Sansar was not ready for prime time when LL opened it to the public. The same mistake LL made in 2003 with SL. SL never made it out of the beta stage, neither will Sansar.

Now this is interesting to say. Could you maybe share more insights on what you mean?

15 minutes ago, DiscoverMain said:

Now this is interesting to say. Could you maybe share more insights on what you mean?

I meant exactly what I posted. Neither one had reached the gamma stage when released to the general public.

Gamma Testing:

Gamma Testing is done when software is ready for release with specified requirements, this testing done directly by skipping all the in-house testing activities. The software is almost ready for final release. No feature development or enhancement of the software is undertaken and tightly scoped bug fixes are the only code.

Gamma check is performed when the application is ready for release to the specified requirements and this check is performed directly without going through all the testing activities at home.

Gamma testing is the third level of testing, generally for safety. Unfortunately, Gamma testing is becoming a thing of the past, killed off by decreased time cycles, competitive pressure, and the myopic focus on quarterly profits.

https://www.360logica.com/blog/what-are-alpha-beta-and-gamma-testing/

(Soft reminder when it comes to age demographics that the millennial  generation is commonly agreed to be from 1981 to 1996 so there's allot of millenials who are already here and in their 30's)

Second life has been called dying since well. when I first joined. Will it eventually die off? of course. nothing lasts forever. But for it's age it sure as hells doesn't seem to be slowing down any time soon. I mean just look at the  things The lab has  implemented just in the past few years alone. Why would they continue to invest resources into something "dying.  No capitalist-leaning company would do that. The population  has been very steady. creators have been pumping  item after item. Bellarisa  is very populous.   Which means there's enough premium users around to make an active community that actually entices non premium users to visit and attend events at the region. 

As for how it could attract younger, Well.  put aside any stereotypes about the younger generations for a moment and instead focus on UI-enhancements and  SL could very well prove be pretty attractive to them. People here have been grumbling about   the user interface and  accessibility.  So imagine how much daunting/outdated it must be to those not already onboard.

The reality is the population of Second Life is dying if we compare it to what it once was. That being said and speaking from my personal experience with Star Wars Galaxies the die hard fans and user base of Second Life won't be going any where anytime soon. It still has a dedicate player base. So that alone will keep an mmo up and running for many years to come now. Only two things will kill SL and that is if LL really makes some serious bad business decisions regarding it or they wake up one day and someone in charge decides they are not generating enough cash flow out of this cash cow anymore to make maintaining it worth it and up and decide to pull the plug and close up shop. Which if and when the day and time that happens people have one of three choices after the big hurt wears off. They can move to another grid, find another VR mmo to join, or end their online VR journey once the doors close shut. My advice is to enjoy the ride while you can and build as many memories as you can. Worry about about all that other nonsense if the time comes that it ever happens. ;)

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Velk Kerang said:

The reality is the population of Second Life is dying if we compare it to what it once was. That being said and speaking from my personal experience with Star Wars Galaxies the die hard fans and user base of Second Life won't be going any where anytime soon. It still has a dedicate player base. So that alone will keep an mmo up and running for many years to come now. Only two things will kill SL and that is if LL really makes some serious bad business decisions regarding it or they wake up one day and someone in charge decides they are not generating enough cash flow out of this cash cow anymore to make maintaining it worth it and up and decide to pull the plug and close up shop. Which if and when the day and time that happens people have one of three choices after the big hurt wears off. They can move to another grid, find another VR mmo to join, or end their online VR journey once the doors close shut. My advice is to enjoy the ride while you can and build as many memories as you can. Worry about about all that other nonsense if the time comes that it ever happens. ;)

Well said!

• Thanks 1

Yes sl is dying and is going to die much faster then i have thought sadly.  Anyone that says its not must not get around much. Have you seen shopping events lately ?  They are getting smaller and smaller every time. Been to RP communities recently ? Most are run by bots instead of real people to look busy. Have you seen the family RP community ?  Its nearly gone. most the sims that left are ghost towns. Child avatar world has nearly been wiped from existence. only a handful of places left for them. Then the adult sex world, Have you been out looking to hook up lately ? trying searching for sex or something, nearly all results bring to AFK (AKA bots) sex places. Finding a real person has become a challenge for that.  I remember just a few years ago stopping at a place like Truth for hair having to fight though the lag an crowd of at least 25 - 30 or more avatars on the sim, last time i was there was only 8 avatars there. Don let the number you see of avatars in world fool you. over half that number is bots.  So yes SL is dying. I think part of the reason is price. The cost to make a nice avatar as increased a lot. i remember back in like 2010 the cost to make a nice avatar was about 3k - 5k L$ an that was for some the best stuff. Now days to make a nice avatar you goin to spend at least 10 - 15K L$  which is a lot for some people, especially a new person. Someone new comes to Sl an see they have to drop $50 USD just to get the L$ to have decent avatar they will most likely leave. an remember this just the avatar didnt even get to other stuff yet. Then there is the fact that the new younger generation does not use a PC as much as the last generation. most older teens an young adults are using smart phone, tablets, an xbox's for there internet an gaming needs which cant run sl . so not many new people coming to replace the ones that are leaving. I have been in second life since 2006. I still love it. its sad watching it die so fast over the past few years.

• Haha 3
53 minutes ago, Kei Niosaki said:

Yes sl is dying and is going to die much faster then i have thought sadly.  Anyone that says its not must not get around much. Have you seen shopping events lately ?  They are getting smaller and smaller every time. Been to RP communities recently ? Most are run by bots instead of real people to look busy. Have you seen the family RP community ?  Its nearly gone. most the sims that left are ghost towns. Child avatar world has nearly been wiped from existence. only a handful of places left for them. Then the adult sex world, Have you been out looking to hook up lately ? trying searching for sex or something, nearly all results bring to AFK (AKA bots) sex places. Finding a real person has become a challenge for that.  I remember just a few years ago stopping at a place like Truth for hair having to fight though the lag an crowd of at least 25 - 30 or more avatars on the sim, last time i was there was only 8 avatars there. Don let the number you see of avatars in world fool you. over half that number is bots.  So yes SL is dying. I think part of the reason is price. The cost to make a nice avatar as increased a lot. i remember back in like 2010 the cost to make a nice avatar was about 3k - 5k L$ an that was for some the best stuff. Now days to make a nice avatar you goin to spend at least 10 - 15K L$  which is a lot for some people, especially a new person. Someone new comes to Sl an see they have to drop $50 USD just to get the L$ to have decent avatar they will most likely leave. an remember this just the avatar didnt even get to other stuff yet. Then there is the fact that the new younger generation does not use a PC as much as the last generation. most older teens an young adults are using smart phone, tablets, an xbox's for there internet an gaming needs which cant run sl . so not many new people coming to replace the ones that are leaving. I have been in second life since 2006. I still love it. its sad watching it die so fast over the past few years.

Non-paragraph walls--text expedite its death. As for the cost of things, nothing says you have to mesh yourself out. As for finding live people who are awake: start looking in the right places. As for "death" of SL, that is relative. SL "Died" back in 2007 when Linden Lab started making rules (their hand was forced into that). Then it started dying when the Estate Land Barons started saturating the grid. Then it also started dying when mesh was allowed.

Fact: All online services begin dying the day after they open, some take longer than others (MySpace, anyone?) - SL is dying, but it will be a very long time before it's actually dead.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

@Kei Niosaki

Shopping events are businesses set up for the shopping event organizer to make a lot of money, every single brand you see in the event has paid a lot of money to be there.  There are so many events now, creators need to choose carefully what events to join.  Also a creator who joins a lot of events ends up working only for events and tends to have no time to make new releases for the main store.  Causing the creator feel over worked burned out and broke (before they even sold a single item).  I'm not really surprised less creators are joining events.  Try visiting your favorite designers physical store so they have a reason to keep paying rent.  If they don't have one any more you can probably blame events and the marketplace.

The art of SL shop keeping is dying.

Maybe events are dying.

Truth has stopped making new releases, and stopped giving group gifts, due to RL work & and a lot of people are upset with him ... this could cause his store to be more quiet.

I have been to more then one busy hair stores lately to pick up a new release hair at promo prices.  That's the thing with SL store you constantly need to create new releases and make promos to keep the customers interest up ...

Although making promos does not feel as effective as it did this time last year.  Sending notices in fashion groups does not cause the same traffic it once did.

Perhaps inworld groups are dying (however the SL Community on Flickr is growing and thriving) (& Facebook & Discord and who knows were else?)

As for SL's adult night life i have to agree some of the busiest adult venues feel more quiet, i was putting it down to summer time and Halloween (it happens every year) and just hoping that it comes right.  Also finding other communities (non adult) in SL to absorb yourself in until SL's adult night life reawakens is a great distraction and you never know who you could meet.  For eg. fishing, gardening, breedables the list goes on.  Also i have to agree with @Alyona Su  about looking in the right places because upon venturing out from my usual SL's adult night life haunts i have found a couple a busy places were it easy to find an actual non AFK person to hook up with.

Perhaps SL's Adult Sex World is dying.

I also remember when SL was dying because of Adult Land, TO's changes, RL recession and many other reasons in the last 12 years, and what do you know its still here.  It just takes time for SL residents to accept something and adjust then put there minds to creating a world that works within the new rules.  I have always thought complaining about change in virtual reality is kind of stupid because it is a new frontier it is uncharted waters.   Unexpected things happen and bring about change and even if the change effects me negatively i have to hope it affects the future SL community positively.  Change causes things to evolve and grow they adapt that doesn't always mean they always die they just change.

Is SL dying ... we all are, its just part of life.  Just because some parts of SL die or change doesn't mean all of SL is dying it is just changing.

note: sorry about my spelling and my grammar neither are my forte!

Edited by JUSTUS Palianta

Don't fear that Sansar will replace SL. Look at its attendance figures:

https://steamcharts.com/app/586110

Average attendance still static at about 20?  While SL is around 30-40 THOUSAND ?

Sansar is already dead, though refusing, for a little longer, to lie down. Forget it.

The only fear is that the time and money wasted on it will damage LInden Labs viability.

Maybe management has already accepted that Sansar is doomed, and that is why, thankfully, we see a sudden spurt of activity in enhancing SL.

On 10/27/2019 at 9:20 AM, Erwin Solo said:

Well said!

Thanks mate. :)

22 hours ago, Cheyenne Marquez said:

I and the majority of gamers on Steam I feel safe in saying would seriously not ever endorse Second Life on Steam in all honesty. I could list a buffet of reasons on why this is a very bad idea. I'll stick personally to my primary main reason on why I am personally against this. It will open the door to increasing the chances for underage kids to come on to the grid. Steam is a GAMERS platform and before anyone comes at me with well Steam now has adult games on it let me educate you now that there is a BIG difference and I mean a HUGE difference in sneaking a look at a dirty movie or a dirty video game vs being exposed and open to other adults engaging in adult activities. Anyone who actually thinks this is a good idea I'd have to seriously question their morals. 🙄

19 hours ago, Chalky White said:

Don't fear that Sansar will replace SL. Look at its attendance figures:

https://steamcharts.com/app/586110

Average attendance still static at about 20?  While SL is around 30-40 THOUSAND ?

Sansar is already dead, though refusing, for a little longer, to lie down. Forget it.

The only fear is that the time and money wasted on it will damage LInden Labs viability.

Maybe management has already accepted that Sansar is doomed, and that is why, thankfully, we see a sudden spurt of activity in enhancing SL.

Most people do not have a gaming rig and right out the gate going by minimum requirements Sansar requires at least a 4 gig video card to run. This alone killed it before we even touch the game mechanics of it mate. I literally laughed when I seen it on Steam because anyone who has gamed hard core before knows gamers are ruthless in their reviews. lol :D

21 hours ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

Perhaps SL's Adult Sex World is dying.

I think this as with anything varies. While I have not exactly hit those type of sims much myself I have noticed an increase in discussion groups and things like that as of lately. The other thing I want to point out also is that if sex is their main reason for playing then they may have gravitated to other platforms geared more towards that such as Red Light Center or 3DXChat. I am sure for a lot of reasons even such as they don't have to deal with as much lag if any at all or they have the I just want to get in, get off, and get out mentality. lol I am sure those platforms save a lot of time and energy on that front as well too. lol :D

23 hours ago, Kei Niosaki said:

Child avatar world has nearly been wiped from existence. only a handful of places left for them.

I think on this point it depends on who you ask. As a parent in SL and someone who does the family RP thing on here I can say it has become harder to a degree. Yes you are right about that part. A lot of that also has to do with the HKE school closing down and possibly even the neighborhood sim if I recall correctly. That being said there are still schools out there and there are still activities and functions to do. I mean just last night I logged in and we took our kids to Halloween Town and while it may not have been crowded more then likely due to grid issues SL had yesterday we still ran in to a fairly decent amount of people attending that sim. The RP sims on here in general have always had their ups and downs. My last thoughts are towards the SL parents on here. If your kids are having a poopie experience on SL then you need to ask yourselves what can I do better in order to enhance their experience on SL? If you can't put in work there then you got no business being a parent on here in the first place. ;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 328 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.