is SL going to die ?

raa21

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1640 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

yes.thumb.jpg.f3430157416e68b4c8a46c81b7b2ebfd.jpg

Second Life is dying and so are it's users. Eventually it will fade away and something else will take it's place but that won't be the end. This crew at Linden Lab get to work every day on something they love so, I'm sure they'll keep it going for as long as possible and then it spawn into something else. So what if it's dying, it's not like it's going to be tomorrow or next week and even if it were what could you do about it? Sitting here in the forums worrying about it won't do anything to keep it going. I really don't see the point in bring this up over and over again.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Aemeth Lysette said:

We have fashion and minigames now. I think more minigames to keep new users busy while they settle in to their individual pursuits would be good. More stuff like Madpea but for Premium members, things like that.. wouldn't be so bad.

Nowhere did I say "just" fashion and minigames.

13 hours ago, Aemeth Lysette said:

We really just need fashion and a bevvy of minigames here, and we'd be set with an audience for quite a while.

It seemed like it to me.

• Haha 1

Well I loved my sculpties
But it died
And my flex hair
Then it died
I'm searching for
Something which can't
Be found but I'm hoping
I still dream Ruth
Though she died
Everything dies
My Kitty Kat so sick
She might die
Though my favorite sim is still here
it will die
Still looking for someone
Who was around
Updating their viewer
Now I am out of Lindens
Wish I'd die
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:
Well I loved my sculpties
But it died
And my flex hair
Then it died
I'm searching for
Something which can't
Be found but I'm hoping
I still dream Ruth
Though she died
Everything dies
My Kitty Kat so sick
She might die
Though my favorite sim is still here
it will die
Still looking for someone
Who was around
Updating their viewer
Now I am out of Lindens
Wish I'd die

You rarely hear cuts from Type O's later catalogue around these parts. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

It seemed like it to me.

I do get you probably thought I meant one thing when I didn't, but that's alright. Water under the bridge. My point was that it wasn't what I meant, but that those two things should be included and plentiful to keep folks happy here.

• Like 2

On 10/14/2019 at 1:29 AM, raa21 said:

so i have been gone for like 5 months and many things changed 

Many socials islands are closed or others are dead,
Many people got banned from social islands My old friends are gone because of this decision

I used to run a store and was making around 20k lindens per months and now not many people buying.
Even my landord sold all of his land. 

I guess they are promoting Sansar more and more....not sure but SL used to be a very coool....
User activity is decreasing... SL needs more social placed where people can meet and greet 

I guess they are going to close (or merge) SL and will promote Sansar.. not sure

Share your thoughts....... 

You may have got an overly "what's on the label" idea of Sansar there!

The reality is we haven't found much use for it.

Sure there is worryingly "stepford wives" levels of enthusiasm from those who stand to gain from it (Bloggers, influencers & such) but for your average resident it's a new rendering engine (one of the best really) with very little content.

Que the excuses about content will come, but it's recognised as harder to produce than in SL.

I get it...tech trends are hard to predict...and there was SO much fear of missing out drummed up by VR pundits and if you're gonna make a VR platform you need to go all-in.

Linden Labs were lucky they had SL to fall back on for funding...but residents are tired of subsidising a mistake nobody wants to admit!

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

thats not the message i read at the Sansar thread .. 7000 unique visitors at one experience and 1000 in one day and earnings of 10K .. and thats just one creator there.

Must say... i been in Sansar past week for 5 minutes, since over a year... it will take about the same time to have a look again, nothing there attrackts me.

Not sure where the Sansar thread is; maybe there's been a sudden turn-around in the past couple months. I suppose I should pop in again although it's difficult to work up much enthusiasm for downloading it. Everybody else always enthuses about how great the graphics are (if only there were any people around) but even the supposedly wondrous graphics don't do anything special for me. I mention "the past couple months" because the statistics I'd been watching are stuck somewhere in August -- evidently the API broke and I guess nobody could be bothered to investigate. It's kinda too bad because those were supposed to have been the all-inclusive numbers, not just the Steam entry statistics (which don't really look any better than before).

1 hour ago, AlexandriaBrangwin said:

Linden Labs were lucky they had SL to fall back on for funding...but residents are tired of subsidising a mistake nobody wants to admit!

That cross-subsidy was to be expected at first but there needs to be an actual customer base by now or it's high time to pull the plug. I get the feeling that the whole VR industry is based on the sunk cost fallacy leavened by an eternal spring of hope for consumer adoption of the next big hardware announcement, always just around the corner.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

Not sure where the Sansar thread is; maybe there's been a sudden turn-around in the past couple months. I suppose I should pop in again although it's difficult to work up much enthusiasm for downloading it. Everybody else always enthuses about how great the graphics are (if only there were any people around) but even the supposedly wondrous graphics don't do anything special for me. I mention "the past couple months" because the statistics I'd been watching are stuck somewhere in August -- evidently the API broke and I guess nobody could be bothered to investigate. It's kinda too bad because those were supposed to have been the all-inclusive numbers, not just the Steam entry statistics (which don't really look any better than before).

That cross-subsidy was to be expected at first but there needs to be an actual customer base by now or it's high time to pull the plug. I get the feeling that the whole VR industry is based on the sunk cost fallacy leavened by an eternal spring of hope for consumer adoption of the next big hardware announcement, always just around the corner.

Oh did you hear the Occulus blah de blah is coming out in fnar whoop de do?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Ebbe Linden needs to allow for script feature advancement/evolution as it has stagnated since the end of 2013.

I want to see more game making features in SL. Back-end work seems to have been consuming a majority of developer's time for the past few years now.

With Linden Lab removing region owners access to functions like 'disable scripts in object', shutting off voice and other abilities at social areas such as safe hubs, refusal to live up to their promise of VR support for Second Life, and massive drop in region performance since "improving" the grid by moving servers to the cloud to save money, it would seem they have no interest in keeping Second Life alive.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

"... But you know what? I didn't die. I landed on an internet doomsayer and it died. But this time around it was different. This time I did want a pickle. It's in Bellisaria."

(Apologies to Arlo)

I don't want a pickle.

Just wanna ride on my motor-sickle

And I don't wanna die...

Just wanna ride on my motor-sigh.

~The Motorcycle Song, Arlo Guthrie, Alice's Restaurant Massacre

2 hours ago, CrowleyCorp said:

With Linden Lab removing region owners access to functions like 'disable scripts in object', shutting off voice and other abilities at social areas such as safe hubs, refusal to live up to their promise of VR support for Second Life, and massive drop in region performance since "improving" the grid by moving servers to the cloud to save money, it would seem they have ABSOLUTE interest in keeping Second Life alive.

I fixed that for you. You're welcome.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CrowleyCorp said:

With Linden Lab removing region owners access to functions like 'disable scripts in object', shutting off voice and other abilities at social areas such as safe hubs, refusal to live up to their promise of VR support for Second Life, and massive drop in region performance since "improving" the grid by moving servers to the cloud to save money, it would seem they have no interest in keeping Second Life alive.

Voice and whatever else was shut down at safe hubs because the people there abused it. If a toddler hits someone with a toy you take the toy away. LL never promised VR support for SL; they tested it and decided it wouldn't work well with SL. Some things have been moved to the cloud but so far there's no word that they've moved the simulator servers to the cloud.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

can't possibly be my fault .. blame LL . . .

I do actually think newcomers have the right to blame LL.

The OP mentioned making money from MP. That misconception is definitely LL's fault. It's right on the splash page of the web site:

image.png.b12767e0b47781efc7cb5f886eb69fa2.png

This is a blatant lie and LL should know it. There is no realistic way for a newcomer to make any profit worth mentioning from SL.

You don't believe me? Very well, tell who made it then? Among the people who joined SL - say the last eight years? I'd be very surprised if there aren't any at all - no rule without exception - but there aren't many and this is actually the third time I ask the same question here and I've also asked it once at the other forum. So far nobody's managed to come up with a single example. It is possible to make a good secondary income and even a living from SL, yes, but only if you joined early enough to establish your business here during the hype days.

So I do actually believe it's fair to blame LL. Because it is Linden Lab that create those overblown expectations by making promises they can't keep. The "make money" bluff is just one example of this. Another one is of course that free fantasy minimum hardware requirements list. Anybody who happene to read that and believe it reflects the actual performance you can expect in SL certainly has a right to complain and feel cheated. And then there is... oh never mind, the list goes on and on.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1640 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.