Scripts to read for Practice

MarlahSimon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1655 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Where can I go in SL that I can take a look at random scripts from simple to complex to just read through? I know usually you sort of can by checking for the script but sometimes the information is private. 

I just want to revie the scripts for different things like HUDS or mesh parts etc....

Typically you can't.

If everybody was able to just take a peek at the code of a real product, they could find away to exploit whatever bug there might be, and break the product for others or worse.

If you're looking for generalized examples, I'm not sure which in-world locations to suggest, but there's plenty of code here and in the LSL Library.

• Like 2

For a lot of basic operations, just stroll through the LSL wiki's FUNCTIONS pages, looking at examples.  Many of those are also listed among others on the EXAMPLES site. You can also look in the wiki's Library for more complex sample scripts.  Most of the examples that you find in those places were written by competent scripters who have a feel for good practice,  The same cannot be said for a lot of other scripts that you find in freebie libraries in world or on the web. 

As you have noticed, most specialized scripts for the sorts of operations that you might really want to copy modify are no-mod, for good reason.  They were written for very specific applications, they took some skilled scripter a lot of time to polish, and they were written for a price.  If you have enough experience to write scripts of that complexity, you probably don't need more than an occasional basic example of some odd function to remind you of a detail here or there.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

For a lot of basic operations, just stroll through the LSL wiki's FUNCTIONS pages, looking at examples.  Many of those are also listed among others on the EXAMPLES site. You can also look in the wiki's Library for more complex sample scripts.  Most of the examples that you find in those places were written by competent scripters who have a feel for good practice,  The same cannot be said for a lot of other scripts that you find in freebie libraries in world or on the web. 

As you have noticed, most specialized scripts for the sorts of operations that you might really want to copy modify are no-mod, for good reason.  They were written for very specific applications, they took some skilled scripter a lot of time to polish, and they were written for a price.  If you have enough experience to write scripts of that complexity, you probably don't need more than an occasional basic example of some odd function to remind you of a detail here or there.

Ah yes thank you, this is precisely what I was needing. Thank you 

7 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yes. The other caution I'd raise is that "good LSL" has changed quite a lot over the years as new features are added, so some older scripts that were good examples in their time will still work but just aren't the way to do it now.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1655 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.