Low Fps almost everywhere

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am begging the Lindens to create a new second life with rules to keep lag down and to keep things looking nice...The two main rules should be no temp rez items and nothing below 500 meters in the sky...i have tried to buy land on the mainland but the lag is so bad everywhere there is nothing to buy...i have seen many fps levels below 8.0

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, MarinaCatalina said:

I am begging the Lindens to create a new second life with rules to keep lag down and to keep things looking nice...The two main rules should be no temp rez items and nothing below 500 meters in the sky...i have tried to buy land on the mainland but the lag is so bad everywhere there is nothing to buy...i have seen many fps levels below 8.0

Maybe getting a place in Bellisseria would work for you.  It at least satisfies your concerns noted here. Much of the lag is due however to USERS, not Linden Lab and there is no way they are going to police all of mainland. Mainland IS "mainland"  -- free and open with very few rules --- as it has always been.  

I have places on mainland and they work well with 50fps on a three year old computer.  So there are MANY things involved in "lag". 

47 minutes ago, MarinaCatalina said:

Maybe instead of begging LL do something it isn't going to do (and likely can't do since it isn't just mainland that is involved) you could try some troubleshooting that can help you to reduce the lag you experience.

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_lag_troubleshooting

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MarinaCatalina said:

I am begging the Lindens to create a new second life with rules to keep lag down and to keep things looking nice...The two main rules should be no temp rez items and nothing below 500 meters in the sky..

Doing both of those things would still not ensure that you get good FPS.  There are so many things that play in to that, most especially the fact that everything in SL is user created and much of it is not created well. 

• Like 2

You could blame on the creator who made a mesh with million of vertex and 1024x1024 texture, also Linden Lab as well for not restrict the limit amount of vertex you can upload as well.

Example of the amount of the vertex of the bag some creator made:

7i4567uj3e.thumb.jpg.0dae392041d79d8221ef609d2249f9de.jpg

Maybe this is why i prefer alone at my parcel because I hate the lag outside...

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

as a rule of thumb,  since it's mainland you are connecting to all those sims, if you can see into the next sim you are also downloading that sims items too,  if you can just see forever, you are seeing those items too, means downloading, which means bottlenecking the hardware/viewer.    I have a RIG built for it all, my draw is 32m  with no shadows and you know what, even if I get 40+ people there I maintain 30+ fps easily.  

Hmm?  Wouldn't it be nice if we could measure FPS and set Draw Distance by script?  Then we could automatically adjust draw distance to 32 when near one of those monstrosities.  Now that's something we could ask Lagging Lab for, soon.

6 hours ago, MarinaCatalina said:

keep lag down and to keep things looking nice [...] i have tried to buy land on the mainland

Ah, there is the answer to your two first problems: Buy land on an island region instead.

6 hours ago, MarinaCatalina said:

i have seen many fps levels below 8.0

This third problem too can be solved by adjusting your graphics settings and by using a faster computer.

All of the above solutions are way more practical and feasable than begging LL to build an entirely new SL. :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, MarinaCatalina said:

And yet I am on mainland right now, at ground level, and my FPS in "High" settings is around 50. At "Mid" settings it goes up to about 65. (Oddly at "Low" settings it drops back to 50, I have no idea why).

In order for us to understand the cause of your lag, please go to "Help" and "About" in your viewer, then copy the contents of that window and paste them here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, anna2358 said:

Hmm?  Wouldn't it be nice if we could measure FPS and set Draw Distance by script?  Then we could automatically adjust draw distance to 32 when near one of those monstrosities.  Now that's something we could ask Lagging Lab for, soon.

Or have a complexity threshold above which objects don’t get rendered.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, anna2358 said:

Already been done. It's been in the FS viewer for years.

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_progressive_draw_distance

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:
10 hours ago, anna2358 said:

Already been done. It's been in the FS viewer for years.

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_progressive_draw_distance

This will start with a lower draw distance when you TP somewhere and step increase it to your graphics setting value, but it won't adjust it based on your FPS, which is what it sounds like she was suggesting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This will start with a lower draw distance when you TP somewhere and step increase it to your graphics setting value, but it won't adjust it based on your FPS, which is what it sounds like she was suggesting.

PDD is as close as anyone is going to get to that. FPS fluctuates too much to be any kind of stable base.

Personally, I leave my DD set at 64 and lower and raise it as needed. But that setting also depends on other viewer graphic settings. I rarely max any of those out, even when the computer I am using can handle it. I'm just not going to push my pcs that hard. It's one of the reasons I so rarely have any issues and why my pcs last longer.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Personally, I leave my DD set at 64 and lower and raise it as needed. 

Thanks, I didn't know much about this.  I just lowered mine to 64 for one of my rentals which is kind of large and it rezs the whole thing.  That's good to know.  I can let my friends know this too when they visit me that you can see everything at 64 DD.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

O.O

I guess we all optimize differently.  My DD is set to 200 and avatar complexity is about 120K.  If my CPU fan ever kicks into a higher speed I drop the Draw Distance down to 100 and it cools right down. 

Note that my graphics card is not a high end gaming card.

ASUS M51BC Series
Windows 10 Home 64bit
AMD FX(tm)-8300 Eight-Core Processor, 3.3 GHz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
RAM 24 GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 OC 2GB

https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/CERBERUS-GTX1050-O2G/

https://www.pcgamer.com/geforce-gtx-1050-review/

I keep my av complexity well below 100k. Usually under 50k.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 6:37 AM, elixdude said:

You could blame on the creator who made a mesh with million of vertex and 1024x1024 texture, also Linden Lab as well for not restrict the limit amount of vertex you can upload as well.

Firstly LL do have a limit on the number of a triangles a mesh can have before it can be uploaded and as for the 1024 textures, they can't be expected to hold back progress because some people don't use decent machines to access Second Life. If anything, what they should be doing is raising the minimum system requirements to access Second Life, it would avoid a lot of unreasonable expectations from those expecting a Ferrari experience whilst driving a Ford.

• Like 1

I'm having to borrow my son's computer when he's not on it for now.  (I had a macbook pro but had to sell it in March cause sometimes life sucks)- 

But I think his computer is pretty beefy and SL can still lag on it- but if I'm alone on my platform I run in the 180s-200s on fps.  

I rarely do not check "show friends only" in public- if I plow over someone (I watch my radar) I send apologies.

I got on my clunker dell laptop that won't charge and only run off battery Friday and I got around 30 fps on same settings- even on the newest FS.  

Plugging into the Ethernet on both doesn't seem to matter.  

Lots of variables go into your lag- from hardware to what's around you and your viewer settings to other avis.

capture2.JPG

capture3.JPG

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko

On 10/12/2019 at 5:11 AM, MarinaCatalina said:

LL does not care!  Asking or complaining here only have the USUAL TROLLS attacking you and you will get now-where. Really tragic - the inevitable death of SL is coming.  You are lucky to get 8.0 - some of us are as low as 4 and 5! Anyway - you are probably not inside the US - which makes things even harder. 

If you're getting single digit frame rates everywhere, the problem isn't Linden Lab letting people put things in SL, its your computer. It's either broken, overrun by malware or just not up to the job. You can do something about those problems. And no, this does not mean buying a $3,000 gaming desktop. Remove malware, de-crap your Windows, install an SSD or a new graphics card. 

Don't expect Linden Lab to tear down SL and rebuild it for people with broken or completely inadequate computers.

• Like 2

It's so very true that user created content has a huge effect on viewer performance.  While standing on the balcony of my apartment tower in Masocado, if I face out to sea, where there is practically nothing, my fps goes up to 30-40.  If I turn around and face the building (and the other structures behind it in the region, and the region beyond), my fps drops by 50%.

You can get away from this by living in a skybox above 1,000m, where nothing on the ground gets rendered.  My fps in my skybox (still in Masocado) is at least 60, and sometimes as high as 90.  But, if we all lived in skyboxes all the time, SL would essentially become IMVU, with its "rooms".

• Like 1

At home (on a private island) using Ultra settings at 256m DD, and depending on where I look, I get between 60-120 fps at ground level. Hop over to my house in Bellisseria and it's between 23 and 55 - each time with just one other avatar in the region.  With 3 or 4 other people at home the fps doesn't drop much, if at all, because they are intelligent.  If I arrive in Bell'a when there are 3 or 4 other people it can drop to hearty soup levels (I am a spoon and can barely move).  L'enfer c'est les autres.

p.s. my pooter is 4 years old

Edited by Garnet Psaltery

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.