How “viewer adept” are you?

cheesecurd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

29 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's one of those heavily researched questions.  If I read the current literature correctly, you are at least partly right.  There probably is a genetic component.  Of course, in your case, you also had the advantage of growing up among talented artists who encouraged you, showed you how to polish your latent skills, and were there to commiserate when things went wrong.   So it's a little of both genetics and the home environment.  In my case, I grew up with a father and sister who were very talented artists and a mother who was not, and nobody with a particular interest in math or the sciences.  What this tells us, of course, is that (1) the influences of genetics and environment are hard to untangle and (2) you really can't reach much of a conclusion by looking at just two cases.

Well yes I'm sure nurture plays a part too, but I was nurtured in music as well as art, and that was a massive flop.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Matty Luminos said:

Well yes I'm sure nurture plays a part too, but I was nurtured in music as well as art, and that was a massive flop.

What matters is, you are not a flop. You are a talented person. Work with what you have, build on it and you'll be amazed at what you can achieve. 

You'll soon be getting something you can tinker with. I'm working on getting it boxed right now. Don't worry about breaking anything. In fact, I want you to break it!  You'll understand when you read the notecard. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not everyone is suited to be a programmer and write code. There are also many many code languages and stuff.

I have considerable IT experience but couldn't be bothered coding. If I have to write a plug in for an e-commerce website for example I can figure it out but I much prefer graphics, animations, video, 3d mesh and that sort of thing.

Notice there is nothing but encouraging comments from people which shows you how hard and confusing coding can be. SL, for me, has always been a learning experience and I find it compliments my skill-set and provides good examples applicable to the web in general. Enjoy your learning experience and most importantly, have fun! 8^) 

• Like 1

If it makes you feel any better..

I'm supposed to be working on a new app, and instead I've been online half the day, posting memes, reading the forums and playing bricks and balls on my phone. Even if we have the skills we probably don't always (mostly?) use them to the best of our (their?) ability

LMAO

Yeah, sometimes my brain just says "not today satan, not today, I'm in control and we're going to do random ***** I like"

Maybe tomorrow I'll do what I'm supposed to (probably not)

• Like 1

I am so afraid of scripts, I think I was 7 years in SL before I dared to edit an AO. Everything with scripts is scary.

Well, I could edit an AO, and then Firestorm came with its built in AO.I thought it would be complicated, but it was only drag and drop in animations.

I get confused when I'm in the official viewer. Why don't I move right? Then I search for an old AO. Then I try to do all the things I do in Firestorm, but can't. I don't even know how to mute group chat, so I am bombarded with that from all the noisy groups I have blocked the chat on in Firestorm.

I can manage in the old school version of the viewer. (Version 1) But only barely.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

@Whirly Fizzle is a guru, tho.  Nothing gets past her.

Yes, she is, but, even she will tell you she doesn't know everything there is to know about SL. That's one reason why the support team does have some direct communication with the devs. Who in turn have some direct communication with LL devs. So, questions can usually be answered, just not always quickly.

The fun part is when you ask a question and not even the Lindens know the answer.

If you go digging around in the names listed as part of the team (both past and present) in the FS viewer, you'll see my name listed. I worked with Whirlz for more than 5 years. Poor thing. I probably drove her nuts with my questions and rock diving. :D

/me dives back under her rock, leaving a cuppa behind for Whirlz. 

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.