FS Camera controls stopped working

Kia Kiyori

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1647 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Sitting still, messing about with BOM - but when I stood up to move, my camera controls were suddenly messed up.

The angle is suddenly down the middle of my back when I walk, where it used to be slightly above and behind the as I moved (did the obvious and consulted the FS wiki about camera controls before posting here).

Where I was able to left click and hold on my avi to move the camera around it, now it just zooms out, almost as if I'm using alt + left click with the angle still at mid-height. Makes it difficult to see where you're going. 

I hit all the 'D'efault buttons in Phototools just to make sure there wasn't a setting I'd left in place.

The camera controls don't work at all - can click on front, side, rear, object view and mouselook and not one of them functions as intended. Can't figure out what on earth happened while I was sitting still. It doesn't compute.

Have banged my head on the desk several times, then tried a restart. Nothing.

I'm betting it's something simple - usually is - but I'm out of ideas. Clearly I've done something without realizing it.

*Edit: forgot to mention that I did that DPI settings thing menioned here - it fixed nothing.

Edited by AnyaJurelle
additional info

8 answers to this question

44 minutes ago, AnyaJurelle said:

Sitting still, messing about with BOM - but when I stood up to move, my camera controls were suddenly messed up.

The angle is suddenly down the middle of my back when I walk, where it used to be slightly above and behind the as I moved (did the obvious and consulted the FS wiki about camera controls before posting here).

Where I was able to left click and hold on my avi to move the camera around it, now it just zooms out, almost as if I'm using alt + left click with the angle still at mid-height. Makes it difficult to see where you're going. 

I hit all the 'D'efault buttons in Phototools just to make sure there wasn't a setting I'd left in place.

The camera controls don't work at all - can click on front, side, rear, object view and mouselook and not one of them functions as intended. Can't figure out what on earth happened while I was sitting still. It doesn't compute.

Have banged my head on the desk several times, then tried a restart. Nothing.

I'm betting it's something simple - usually is - but I'm out of ideas. Clearly I've done something without realizing it.

*Edit: forgot to mention that I did that DPI settings thing menioned here - it fixed nothing.

Have you tried another viewer? Also, make sure you're not inside anything; TP to a sand box or something. Check also to be sure you aren't wearing any camera-changing attachments (A friend of mine makes those for vehicles, which is why I thought of it).

If it still happens in another viewer, then it's something with your Avatar or account (it's a setting at the LL end) - if it only happens in your everyday viewer, then it's a setting in that viewer.

Just now, Alyona Su said:

Have you tried another viewer? Also, make sure you're not inside anything; TP to a sand box or something. Check also to be sure you aren't wearing any camera-changing attachments (A friend of mine makes those for vehicles, which is why I thought of it).

If it still happens in another viewer, then it's something with your Avatar or account (it's a setting at the LL end) - if it only happens in your everyday viewer, then it's a setting in that viewer.

Oh mercy, but it seems worse with every step I follow - cleared the settings - because they don't' advise re-installing. It fixed exactly nothing.

But wait! There's more! Now my avi only moves backward in FS, not forward - but moves normally in LL's viewer.

Camera angle still messed up in LL viewer, so that problem's not entirely FS.

Something happened while I was sitting still with nose in inventory window. The only thing 'new-ish' I can think of is that I'm BOM from head to toe with the new Legacy body on.

Not wearing any attachments per se other than Stealthic hair and Legacy specific tank top, pants and sneakers; nothing fancy.

17 minutes ago, AnyaJurelle said:

Not wearing any attachments per se other than Stealthic hair and Legacy specific tank top, pants and sneakers; nothing fancy

I would strip completely back to the base: Remove *everything* that is removable: All attachments, all system clothing items (you cannot remove hair, shape or eyes) - all the way back down to the stripped-down plain system avatar. Then TP to an empty-as-possible location (If you are premium then the premium sandbox would be perfect, if not then any large swatch of abandoned mainland) - primarily to remove anything and everything from draw distance - maybe even set that down to 96 meters or something.

Then logout and *restart the computer* (just to make extra super duper sure there isn't anything the system itself is doing) :)

Then login to everyday viewer. If the affects are still there, then try the other viewer. If still there, then I would beg and plead that someone who knows this stuff, like @Whirly Fizzle throw-in their ideas (because they are geniuses, I only know enough to be dangerous!) . :)

OH, and if what I suggest (which is really just how I would go about it) doesn't work, then grab the information about your viewer from the about window and past that here. :)

13 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I would strip completely back to the base: Remove *everything* that is removable: All attachments, all system clothing items (you cannot remove hair, shape or eyes) - all the way back down to the stripped-down plain system avatar. Then TP to an empty-as-possible location (If you are premium then the premium sandbox would be perfect, if not then any large swatch of abandoned mainland) - primarily to remove anything and everything from draw distance - maybe even set that down to 96 meters or something.

Then logout and *restart the computer* (just to make extra super duper sure there isn't anything the system itself is doing) :)

Then login to everyday viewer. If the affects are still there, then try the other viewer. If still there, then I would beg and plead that someone who knows this stuff, like @Whirly Fizzle throw-in their ideas (because they are geniuses, I only know enough to be dangerous!) . :)

OH, and if what I suggest (which is really just how I would go about it) doesn't work, then grab the information about your viewer from the about window and past that here. :)

Thank you, Alonya - while that sounds like a lot of 'fun', I've already lost 3 hours that I didn't really have to waste in the first place, trying to fix this inexplicable mess - the thought of going somewhere butt nekked on the off chance of discovering something else, isn't really tickling my funny bone right at this moment

Perhaps once I've sorted out the mess that clearing FS settings left me with and after a break, I'll try that.

I can say, though, with certainty, that another little 'nasty' FS is doing is only allowing my avi to turn right, not left and certainly not to walk forward - all of which works just fine in the official viewer.

Don't go butt nekkid.  Go to Developer\Avatar\Character Tests\Test Female (Firestorm) or Develop\Avatar\Character Tests\Test Female (LL viewer).  If you don't see the Developer, or Develop, menu on your top menu bar, hit CTRL+ALT+D (to show the Advanced menu) and then CTRL+ALT+Q (to show the Develop menu).

Either way, it's not a huge chore, just a couple of mouse clicks.

A larger chore would be to reset everything to the default settings (Firestorm), then go through all your Preferences and set things up again the way you prefer.  Which you did, arrrrgh.

If you are reduced to that, you may as well do a complete clean re-install of both the Firestorm and the standard viewer (since both viewers are producing problems, of different sorts).

• Haha 1

lol Thank you for the advice, Lindal - I didn't go nakey - but went to a premium sandbox and a very patient FS support person hung in there with me via chat.

In the end, it appears that in 'Movement & View > Movement' the "Use AZERTY keyboard layout" was mysteriously ticked while I'd been innocently sitting still playing with BOM stuff in inventory. 

Gremlins! I keep telling people there be gremlins here! 

Edited by AnyaJurelle
Sorry Lindal - spelled your name with 2 'l's'
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 9:45 AM, AnyaJurelle said:

Gremlins! I keep telling people there be gremlins here! 

All electronic equipment is built with a Critical Job/Task detector. Whenever you have an important and/or urgent job the detector in whatever device you are using triggers and causes some kind of failure.

Ask anyone. The evidence is overwhelming.

36 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

All electronic equipment is built with a Critical Job/Task detector. Whenever you have an important and/or urgent job the detector in whatever device you are using triggers and causes some kind of failure.

Ask anyone. The evidence is overwhelming.

Yes...exactly (kind of almost nearly) what I said...Gremlins! ;)

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1647 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.