What makes you keep going on SL and logging in almost everyday ?

IntrovertBV

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

OCD

Edit - Seriously: I can't bring myself to let go of Greater Coniston and I can't bring myself to disappoint the few people who have supported an encouraged me.

Right now I'm trying to raise enough L$ to save my work. That means listing stuff on MP which again means facing the UI FROM HELL - the online listing form over and over and over again. I can do it! I can do it for Coniston!

And that's what I have been doing the last week - full time - and I think I can see a slight improvement in sales already. This is not commercial I can't imagine I'll ever get to the point where I'll make any money from SL, I can't even imagine I'll ever manage to recover any of the thousands of dollars I've wasted on it these last six years. But if I can get to the break even point at least - if I can stop the tier from hemhorraging what's left of my RL economy - I can afford to keep it running and then I can tell myself it wasn't all a waste of time and money.

Oh well, who am I fooling? I suppose the true answer is that I'm addicted. At least it's not nearly as unhealthy as some other drugs...

I certainly hope you've had some fun with it as well.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IntrovertBV said:

But for sure, every investment & hard work pays off at the end.. Maybe, because we are good at it, we keep going..

Oh, I'm still building. 3D modelling and virtual landscaping are tremendously satisfying hobbies.

But I don't do it in or for SL anymore unless there is for some special reason (like my current Save Coniston project). Why should I?

2 hours ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

I certainly hope you've had some fun with it as well.

As I mentioned, right now I'm at the start of an MP listing marathon and it's really, really hard to see anything positive under such grimm conditions.

But since you ask, I had lots of lovely experiences the first two years. Then I got involved in the BIMMU (Big Informal Mesh Mess Untangling) project. I know I've complained a lot about how LL bodged the mesh implementation but at least they made it a substantal intellectual challenge trying to figure it out. It was frustrating, yes, but also really interesting. And now that it is more or less over, I can claim that I can make better LoD and physics models for SL than anybody else in the whole wide world can. It's a totally useless skill but it's mine and mine alone and nobody can take it away from me.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've been in SL for... what, 8.5 years now? So... what keeps me coming back, again and again? I started out of curiosity - what is this Second Life thing I kept hearing about? My first year or so was terrible, from a technical standpoint - DSL internet, crappy modem and an antiquated computer made my newbie days sheer hell - I shudder when I think about it! And yet, somehow, I persevered. I kept coming back. I made some friends. I immersed myself in building and SL photography. I discovered travel on roads, waterways and in the air. Then, quite by accident, I ended up renting a parcel close to Blake Sea (a friend got the parcel first, then quickly abandoned it for another (and another, and another, but that's a different story), and I took over the rent), then a couple years later I rented another parcel south of the first in the same sim (because I got tired of seeing one ugly house after another go up as the tenants turned over) and terraformed it into a nature preserve (still in the making 5 years later), and before I knew it, I put down deep roots in this virtual world. I can't imagine abandoning it now. Like some of the posters here, I'm pretty introverted and spend most of my SL time by myself. But I cherish the few good SL friends I made over the years. So, I'm sticking with SL for as long as it will last - I hope for a good while.

• Like 1

I just like to shop a lot and take the edge off the real world..

It helps to push all the crazy out of my head that I take home from work every day..

It really does work..

Then once i log out ,which may only be 20 minutes to an hour later..I'm all ready to go for the rest of the day.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.