What makes you keep going on SL and logging in almost everyday ?

IntrovertBV

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

SL is my escape from RL.  It is my chance to immerse myself in something without worrying about the cares of the world.  I spend most of my time alone, but do socialize a bit.  I'm quite introverted in RL, yet SL feels safer for communicating with others.  I spend my time in many different ways - doing hunts, shopping & playing Barbie Dress-Up, decorating my various homes.  Lately I've spent a bit of time playing with scripts -- avoided that like the plague when I started since it is too close to my RL work -- and I've also recently started playing with creating mesh.  I haven't done any building since mesh took over the world.  I'm starting out by converting some of my older prim builds into mesh and then examining the heck out of them in Blender, figuring out how to clean them up and make them better.  That, along with some very basic Blender tutorials, are slowly giving me a better understanding of that mesh stuff.  I'll never be a big mesh creator, but I do want to be able to dabble a bit here and there.

• Like 9

My need to explore and my need to create have always brought me back to sl. The creative part is severely limited now, more so in that what I do create will never see the light of day beyond wherever I build it, or some very specific purpose, but I do still enjoy it..until I get frustrated and pick my crap back up lmao (bit of a vicious cycle, lol). I love exploring sl, and I can do that all by myself, it's my favorite thing to do. Even after having been here all these years, I still haven't seen all of sl (not counting places I can't go, of course, I don't include those). I imagine I probably won't see all of it, or even most of it anytime soon, that's enough of a motivator :) 

I used to raise breedables....like, way more than any sane person should ever have, and that was also a good motivator for logging in, since I had to take care of them. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

SL is my escape from RL.  It is my chance to immerse myself in something without worrying about the cares of the world.  I spend most of my time alone, but do socialize a bit.  I'm quite introverted in RL, yet SL feels safer for communicating with others. 

LIttleMe could be my alt, but she isn't.  In fact, I have never met her except here in the forums. I retired to SL in 2007 and discovered that I can do anything I please here (as long as it isn't something nasty) and that I can be as sociable or non-sociable as I like.  There are enough things to do, places to explore, and ways to be creative that there's no reason to feel stuck with someone else's idea of what make SL fun.  LittleMe and I can spend hours scripting and dabbling with other ways to be creative all by ourselves without needing to deal with crowds of other people, or we can sit with a few friends and chat.  If we decide to head to a crowded venue, we can be as anonymous as we like -- an introvert's paradise.  As far as I am concerned, the biggest selling points for SL are:

1. I get to do things that I find interesting and can ignore the rest.

2. I don't have to tell anyone anything about myself unless I really want to, so I can be as anonymous as I wish.

3. I have an inexhaustible wealth of places to visit and activities to experience, and loads of potential friends.

4. I can leave at any time by simply clicking a little X in the upper right corner of my screen.

Oh yes, and I can fly.  😎

• Like 10

I'm just here for the lolz  And a twerking spider butt.

SpiderTwerking_Small-_4_.gif.136bf9b00e2

I mostly use SL as a radio while reading the forums.  That or playing dress up and taking pictures.
You can also add me to the LittleMe and Rolig sisterhood :)  I could write a sermon on why I hangout alone at the hangout but that's a whole 'nuther topic.

I like to help people when I can. Most of my "active" time in SL is spent in chat groups talking about BoM lately.

I do other things, of course, like hopping around to see live music events or wander at some sim I heard about but even then I tend to keep to myself. 
It keeps me from bringing home strays.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I came to Sl because in rl one of the parents had gone to heaven  My other Rl parent had go to heaven several years prior so now without them it was emotionally very hard. I had heard about sl and   it seemed like wow this could be like heaven where anthing is possible.

I learned little by  little step by step how to make items and as time went on   Sl was and is more of a blessing than an escape from pain or real life.   If you allow it ... you can make wonderful friends and find second life is a place of Joy and happiness and love ,,,, if that is what you chose ,,,,   

• Like 6

What makes me keep going on Second Life and logging in EVERYDAY? 

Habit. Pure and simple.

The detailed version is that I love building something from nothing and seeing others appreciate it with little to no qualifications needed as one would in the real world. I love spending time with Riley my virtual fake baby and just last night found simple enjoyment in watching her sleep. I love the challenge of thinking up something, as in wanting to make an object levitate or talk or such and then making it happen. I love buying clothes and hair and creating outfits and having makeovers that require minimal effort or RL funds. I love taking photos and feeling the pride of getting it just right, or as close to the vision that I had in mind. I love exploring lands that are so detailed and thoughtfully constructed that it takes me away from the real world for a while. I love catching up with friends even though a good majority of them have moved on over recent years. I love the notion that by some small positive act I can make a difference in someone's day in ways I simply can't do in real life to the same degree. I love the possibilities here and always scratch my head in wonder at those who claim to be bored. There is always so much to do, so much to see, so much to learn that I've come to the conclusion that boredom is a choice. And I choose not to be, even if at times I simply want to be lazy.

14 hours ago, IntrovertBV said:

Wondering about the reasons that could make one interact better with SL world and feel the belonging to this open world...🙄🤨

Make one interact? There's your problem right there. You can't make someone interact if they don't want to, at least not without facing some sort of resistance. Belonging comes from immersion and contribution. Get involved in something. Find an interest and pursue that. It will introduce you to concepts and people that will help give your virtual time some meaning if not a reason to keep logging in. Waiting for someone to rescue you will only leave you frustrated and feeling isolated and alone. The world is big because it's built by other users just like you. They contribute; you can too. Just explore and see if you can find something you really like and want to do better and take it from there. Join groups, ask questions, get out of your virtual house (if you have one) and get proactive.

It also probably helps that I am in RL a private person. I am happiest in my own company and don't need others for entertainment. That carries over to my virtual life too. If anything I shy away from those who do need continual entertainment or just need to be around people in general because that's not me. I need my alone time even if I log into a virtual world amidst thousands of others to do so. SL is my escape from RL. I don't enjoy clubbing or bars in RL either so I don't enjoy it much in SL. In my experience the times I've tried it has usually ended the same way being hit on by others who think I am there for a hook-up. I don't communicate much either, something those on my friend's list will already be aware of, unless I really have something to say. It's not that I'm ignorant but I am usually caught up inside my own head trying to build or create or solve a problem on a whim just because I can. SL is easy for me because I don't need to do much to feel connected. I am connected just by logging in. As to what extent I connect with others depends on my mood at the time. SL is full of people regardless the time zone so there is always the possibility of talking to someone if the urge is there... it just rarely happens to be in my case at least. ;) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, IntrovertBV said:

I only got 5,000 L$. So poor, lol

Just a matter of perspective.
The first ten years i spent virtually nothing, because i just was focused on building things and hanging out with friends.
2 years ago, when everyone else was already covered in mesh, i made the mesh upgrade for myself and got my first home, too.
But,  despite the fact im shoveling even more RL coins into SL these days, i cant say im happier than in my first days.

Edited by Resi Pfeffer
typo
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Just a matter of perspective.
The first ten years i spent virtually nothing, because i just was focused on building things and hanging out with friends.
2 years ago, when everyone else was already covered in mesh, i made the mesh upgrade for myself and got my first home, too.
But,  despite the fact im shoveling even more RL coins into SL these days, i cant say im happier than in my first days.

It's all right.. Building stuff inworld was the best thing for me before I discover the difference between what's built inworld and the other built in a 3D platform like blender.. 

Also, that's another reason why I haven't upgraded to premium yet. I see no mutual benefit from it at least because I'm not a designer or a creator yet.. 

What I already can do is just for fun.. 

And I believe that anyone can do it and create their own stuff only if SL policies were less restrictive, but on the other hand, it's better that way.. It's something controversial anyway... 

• Like 1

Second Life is my social platform. It is an extension of my real life. I love spending time with my husband and daughter, our cats, my sisters, nieces and friends. I love to explore. Whether it is sailing, bike riding, horse back riding, swishing my tail under water or flying around as a petite fairy, exploring is such a wonderful part of sl because of the pure creativity and talent I get to see and share with others. My spiritual communities are here as well as me being able to dance, sing or even recite poetry if I want around people who have known me going on eleven years and accept me without question. I love taking photos and blogging about freebie fashion I find too.

There are endless possibilities in sl and that is one of the main appeals. I'm still learning how things work and I hope to never stop learning. It's exciting and fun.

I hope you find your niche here.

• Like 8

On 10/10/2019 at 12:04 PM, IntrovertBV said:

Wondering about the reasons that could make one interact better with SL world and feel the belonging to this open world...🙄🤨

I don't log in much but when I do its for long stretches when something has piqued my interest. Example, Halloween, destination guides got loads of places to explore for Halloween and some darn Linden hunt going on, and I can't never resist treasure hunts, even though it fills my inv full of crap. 

Gotta bit of a gambling thing going on too now they've had the free skills gaming weekend. Cheaper than real life machines, and not having to go outdoors in the rain and sitting here in my undertrolleys. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OCD

Edit - Seriously: I can't bring myself to let go of Greater Coniston and I can't bring myself to disappoint the few people who have supported an encouraged me.

Right now I'm trying to raise enough L$ to save my work. That means listing stuff on MP which again means facing the UI FROM HELL - the online listing form over and over and over again. I can do it! I can do it for Coniston!

And that's what I have been doing the last week - full time - and I think I can see a slight improvement in sales already. This is not commercial. I can't imagine I'll ever get to the point where I'll make any money from SL, I can't even imagine I'll ever manage to recover any of the thousands of dollars I've wasted on it these last six years. But if I can get to the break even point at least - if I can stop the tier from hemhorraging what's left of my RL economy - I can afford to keep it running and then I can tell myself it wasn't all a waste of time and money.

Oh well, who am I fooling? I suppose the true answer is that I'm addicted. At least it's not nearly as unhealthy as some other drugs...

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 8

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.