What makes you keep going on SL and logging in almost everyday ?

IntrovertBV

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1566 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't have to cope with the open world, so that makes me overjoyed to occupy my little corner of SL. ย That's everything right there.

A circle of excellent friends, a plot of land to build on and decorate, design skills to hone and practice, writing and RP in safe and shielded spaces governed by firm boundariesย and exclusive permissions.ย ย (It took many years to realize these secrets of abiding peace.) ย 

Logging-in is a great part of my day โค๏ธ ย 

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Why dont you start with telling us your story first?

For me, I think I may not belong here, I was trying to cope up with SL, by learning new things and trying to socialize as well as finding beers of the same interests,

But sadly, for the learning part, It's pretty hard and wants a person who has a plenty of time and a background of what they gonna do and a more push for that...

and for the socializing part, and I'm not so good at it, and I cannot find those of the same interest which makes it harder to continue for me..

You know, I believe we are human beings behind these avatars and these words written well on a keyboard, and so we desire and aspire. Nothing is perfect, and so we cannot know everything. But we have priorities too...

So I'm actually looking for a different way that may fit with me...

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, IntrovertBV said:

ย 

But sadly, for the learning part, It's pretty hard and wants a person who has a plenty of time and a background of what they gonna do and a more push for that...

and for the socializing part, and I'm not so good at it, and I cannot find those of the same interest which makes it harder to continue for me..

Yes, learning takes a long time, much time, great patience :)ย  ย What are your interests? There must be groups you can join.

• Like 4

I log in because itโ€™s fun for me. Generally if something completely voluntary is not giving me joy, I donโ€™t do it. It can take time to really โ€œgetโ€ SL as a new person, but itโ€™s not for everyone, and if I felt like I had to cope with it I would stop logging in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, IntrovertBV said:

For me, I think I may not belong here, I was trying to cope up with SL, by learning new things and trying to socialize as well as finding beers of the same interests,

If you already get headache just by thinking of SL, you better stay away from. But depending on how long you stick to it already, it cant have been that bad, right?ย 
I mean, you post a new thread into this forum, and the best part, you even answer us and you explain what has driven you. I think you are better in socializing than you think.

Some things are hard, i confess. Others are not.
While i can build everything possible with prims, i absolutely suck when its about mesh. Thats why i turned into a fashion doll and meet more people like i did before. And im fine with that change. Probably you also just need to keep searching for what makes you happy. If something stresses you out or doesnt give you any joy, turn around and try something new.

There is no better place than SL to find those of the same interest, even if its not always easy.
And again, you dont seem to act like a cave man at all. Your way to communicate is just fine, and as you are hidden behind your keyboard, like everyone else, no one will notice your shaky fingers. :)

So I'm actually looking for a different way that may fit with me...

What could that be? Any ideas already?
ย 

Edited by Resi Pfeffer
typo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

After a hard day in RL.....I settle back on the sofa with dark chocolate and a mug of tea. I then enter a world where I can be anything and do anything I please.

A world where I can also chat to friends, meet up to dance or take photos. Go shopping, play dress up, get my sisters round and dress them up.

It's a big antidote to RL. Right now I can't log in every day, but I would be on a lot more if I had the time. SL is addictive on so many levels, but in a pleasant way.

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, Clarrellae said:

Yes, learning takes a long time, much time, great patience :)ย  ย What are your interests? There must be groups you can join.

Interests are more likely shifting ones.. Some time I would like to work on a texture or trying to understand a script and make it work, Some others, I just sit down anywhere and watch other people standing and not moving a lip..

But Actually, Learning new things and make it work with your own ideas is the most thing that seduces one's attention In SL...

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

What could that be? Any ideas already?

Still looking!!

I actually admit that SL is such a good way of escapism that's why I came here in the first place... And there's such nostalgia that drives me not to easily go after a good time spent here...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, IntrovertBV said:

Interests are more likely shifting ones.. Some time I would like to work on a texture or trying to understand a script and make it work, Some others, I just sit down anywhere and watch other people standing and not moving a lip..

But Actually, Learning new things and make it work with your own ideas is the most thing that seduces one's attention In SL...

Are you trying to understand a script that is already written or make one up on your own, or modify a script?ย  Scripts take patience.ย ย 

I wanted to learn techniques in Photoshop I didn't get to learn for 15 years.ย  I finally learned them over the past six months.ย  Photoshop is great to play around with and make your own textures.ย ย 

First learn layering and then the rest should follow.ย  What kind of textures do you want to make?

And, also I may log in every day but my groups do notย have events every day right now I am interested in plus I may be afk whileย working in Photoshop.ย ย 

I go to various events when I want to but work on stuff too.ย  I don't currently have a home.ย  My little Dinkie clubs are my home as are my other inworld stores.ย  Sometimes, in one of my stores I just build upstairs.ย  Not with scripts though.ย  With scripts you should try out in a sandbox.

As far as socializing...just be you.ย  I just have fun and laugh and enjoy the music.ย  If you are looking for someone to spend your SL with, that's more of a challenge.ย  I'd recommend Etosha.ย  Etosha is for flirting and dating rather than jumping right into the slex part.ย  Or, you could join Small Talk inworld as it's not just for tinies avatars, all avatars are welcome.ย  This is where you may want to be an unusual avatar in Small Talk because no one will judge you if you want to be a Dragon or whatever.ย  Or even an avi that you have made.ย ย 

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For me, SL is mainly a social outlet after a busy day. I can't go out with my RL friends every night, my wallet (and my liver) wouldn't cope. Hanging out with my SL friends, listening to music or whatnot, that's how I wind down from work.

• Like 9

Also wanted to say, there is an inworld group you can join called SCRIPTS which is very helpful.ย  Plus, scripting schools you can go to.

Sweet Meshes, Sweet Sculpties, Buildery's Brewery and Hippo Building School are also very helpful inworld groups.ย ย 

ย 

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I believe that SL is a safe haven for introverts. You can be as sociable, or not-sociable, as you want.ย 

Like in the real world, I think that the key (or one of them) to happiness is learning to enjoy being by yourself, and accepting that there isn't a damn thing wrong with that. I spend probably 90% of my time in SL alone, and I'm good with that. It isn't that I don't love my friends - I do. But human interaction, RL or SL, wears me out. I keep my away message on all the time now, and the people who matter to me understand what that means and don't get butt-hurt because I don't answer them all the time, or right away.ย 

As for interests, the things that I've grown to be interested in aren't the things I initially thought I would be so many years ago. For many years, photography and blogging were my things, along with activities of a more adult nature. Recently I've taken an interest in learning a bit about mesh, so I'm teaching myself Blender. I'm interested in scripting as well, but haven't found a good starting point on that yet. I need to check out Builder's Brewery but haven't made my way there yet.

And when I'm not doing anything, I enjoy decorating my homes and playing dress up with my avatar and trying to keep up with the elebenty bajillion shopping events.ย 

The most important and best part of my time, that 10%, is spend with that one special person in my life.ย 

All of those things combined make up the reasons I come to SL nearly every day. And it's important also to remember that if you don't feel like logging in, then don't. It should never, ever feel like an obligation or something you have to do even though you'd rather be doing something else, even if it's just sitting on the couch binging something on Netflix.ย 

Second Life is a wonderful world and it can be anything you want it to be. I truly believe that there is no one that it isn't for (except children). It takes a while to find your footing, though, but I believe it's worth it in the end.ย 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I come here to create stuff.ย  Its a hobby, like gardening.ย ย 

You have to deal with people behaving badly shielded by their anonymity, but there are good people here too.

Banning troublemakers isn't terribly helpful though.ย  Its too quick and cheap to make an alt, and most troublemakers have years worth of avatars out there ageing.ย  Apparently, griefing is a hobby for some.ย 

Edited by Erwin Solo
Fixed where spell checker had substituted a word wrongly.
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Erwin Solo said:

I come here to create stuff.ย  Its a hobby, like gardening.ย ย 

You have to deal with people behaving badly shielded by their anonymity, but there are good people here too.

Banning troublemakers isn't terribly helpful though.ย  Its too quick and cheap to make an alt, and most troublemakers have years worth of avatars out there ageing.ย  Apparently, griefing is a hobby for some.ย 

Good and bad exist everywhere, that's why it is better to leave those bad ones as soon as possible or there will be a lot of consequences...ย 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IntrovertBV said:

I was actually going to suggest you try learning to create something, and then I scrolled down to where you said this. So, how about looking into some classes at Builders Brewery? You can be among others without pressure to "socialize" per se, as you are all there to learn together, and you might enjoy building/creating so much that you find your reason for being in SL. There are also building classes at Helping Haven, and I'm sure other places have them as well. Have a look and see if any appeal to you!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, IntrovertBV said:

Thanks a lot. Your replies are very helpful.

Oh great...those are very helpful groups.ย  Plus, I added there are scripting schoolsย you can join inworld, too.

I also wanted to say you can submit a ticket to gain access to the Aditi Grid.ย  The Aditi grid gives you free lindens to upload things for testing purposes only.ย  You cannot use the lindens for anything else, only for uploading items for testing.ย  When I joined Aditi, I did not get 50,000 lindens like it says in the Wiki.ย  I got 15,000 lindens to start and still have about 13,000 lindens.ย  It helps save on uploading costs on itemsย you may never use because the item needs to be re-done.ย  There is also an area to upload a texture to test it before you pay for an upload.ย  I forgot that process though.ย  But, I am sure someone else knows.ย ย ย ย 

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1566 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.