Parcel windlight, EEP, & Belli real estate

Nika Talaj

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

People often say that lighting is very important to them when choosing a parcel.  This has always gone right past me.  Not only am I one of those people who generally walk around using Nam's Optimal Skin & Prim (I know, but I like to SEE things), but when doing photos I choose a windlight, and then move the sun around if I need a sunset in a particular spot! 

So when we got a houseboat parcel facing east with a lighthouse nearby, i was delighted and did not pine for a west-facing view.  Actually, the sunrise is quite a pleasant view anyway :)

I also figure that if I think I'll be in a parcel for quite a while, I can use Firestorm's parcel windlight to set up an ambiance I like, but I've never tried it.  It looks to me like EEP will be even more flexible than parcel windlight, albeit a little complex. 

Have you used parcel windlight or EEP in Belli?

Were you to use either, would it make you care less about default lighting when looking at parcels?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My whole SL experience with windlights is really just based on what I am doing. If I am inside my house, or basically whenever looking at people is important, then like you I stick to good old Nam's Optimal Skin and Prim.

I explore Belli a lot though, and that's when I change things up. For travelling round, I generally just select the "Use Region Default" setting, then, importantly, under Day Cycle I select "Default". This ensures that as I roam around the continent, the day-cycle remains consistent, with all regions following the normal SL day-night cycle, so I get to see sunrises and sunsets - regardless of whether I'm out on the water or driving on the roads. Sunsets look rather spectacular too in the trailer regions - with the sun coming through the trees :)

On the rare occasion I take nice photos, then I will often simply choose a windlight to give me the effect I am looking for - including water too, as the lakes in the trailer regions look nice with a still water setting like Nacons Lake Water etc

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I use the same setting as you as I like to see things as well.    I don't take pics really so for me I am not too concerned about windlights for pics.  I do like do use some of the day cycles though to walk around and also some of the night ones when I don't want things too bright.

But windlights don't factor into my decision when I keep a parcel.  I am more concerned about how the view looks when I walk around my parcel, how the landscaping looks and the FPS.

• Like 1

I've not used parcel WL in Belli, though I have used it on a private estate. It's OK but I hop around between parcels so much that it's not worth the effort. For my own day to day use, I just leave my WL set to Nacon's Afternoon and Nacon's Water, nice and bright so I can see everything. If I want to take a photo, then I will fiddle with WL settings, but I don't have much interest in EEP, etc. The last time I cared about a parcel's light was before I learned how to use WindLights. Back then, I definitely did want a parcel with a sunset view and the only way I knew to do that was to be facing west!

• Like 1

I made my own default work setting long ago but likely it is similar to the one you guys like. Easy to see everything clearly, no arty shadows etc. I also made a special Windlight for my sim and one for my house on my sim (this long after I got a house in Belli LOL).  Whenever I turn on the default lighting in Belli it is the same for me  -- looks like because of my settings. I wondered about that so I am a bit smarter now. I have been using my own Windlight settings since Windlight was introduced so it make NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL what the natural lighting is. 

Re EEP == so far not many folks clapping so we will see how it turns out if and when it ever gets released -- but parcel lighting depends a lot on the settings of your visitors as well as their viewer so it doesn't really insure that folks visiting will see your parcel they way you do. Same with EEP.  Sansar DOES have lighting set by the experience (world) maker so everyone does see the area in the same way. Pluses and minuses there.  No perfect solution that I can see.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got into the habit of using cawl for everyday running around back when the loud mouth fake lips were a thing.  It was one of maybe three when lights that would render the face well and not show the seam around the mouth where it entered the chin& below the nose.  For an almost nighttime still lingering evening light setting I like Barcelona.  Another WL that I like that gives a dreamlike appearance is Shepherd's delight.    

When I take photos I layer several snapshots and use different when lights and on the snapshot menu before I save I will take a picture in the default WL but I will use the cartoon filter.  I layer that that faded out considerably on my portraits (selfies) and it gives in my opinion a painting effect that I've come to enjoy.

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 1

I have a few Windlight settings that I created for myself or *stole* from various regions that I liked. I do prefer to have lighting that is bright but not washed out, but I also dislike really clear blue skies. 

I've tried messing around with the EEP and meh so far. Also have a few personal light settings from some creators - some pretty good for general usage. 

There's a handful I use constantly if taking photos depending on what I'm trying to achieve but if I were just grabbing something to walk around that isn't my own or, if testing out skins etc I use something like the one from Strawberry Singh, CAWL or Nam's Optimal Skin & Prim and like Nika, move the sun around as needed to get my shadows where I want them. 

There are times that a parcel does have naturally poor light though and nothing seems to fix it. I had one lot that had a giant wall of high rocks that seemed to cast a long shadow along the back of my houses no matter what light setting I used. I could never get a stream of light to reach though any window and it just kind of depressed me. It was the main reason I dumped that house, because other than that, it was a pretty good area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.