New Selling Gimmick

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1656 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I dont really mind but the vendor would have to advertise the pieces that go together and where to find them (LM too because we get lazy) and make the price attractive. 

The pit fall I see is for the vendor. Many people may stick with the one or two pieces and not bother collecting the rest or may not get into an event to buy more so be reluctant to start a collection in the first place. 

I have seen a top or pant or one dress, offered as group gift and then its up to the customer if they wish to buy other pieces in the set or a hud with colour options.  

2 hours ago, CheriColette said:

I dont really mind but the vendor would have to advertise the pieces that go together and where to find them (LM too because we get lazy) ...

That seems the bare minimum, but it also seems kind of rude to the event organizer, to intentionally draw folks away, chasing other pieces of the outfit.

Also, I'm just realizing the amount of overhead this involves of the customer, to try demos of all the pieces.

And thinking of trying demos: if the buyer won't buy until all the demos are available, and the events start on different days... that's pretty inconvenient. For me, it would be asking an awful lot to expect me to come back and buy a piece days after I tried it on. It would need to be both fantastically wonderful and fantastically cheap.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

That seems the bare minimum, but it also seems kind of rude to the event organizer, to intentionally draw folks away, chasing other pieces of the outfit.

Also, I'm just realizing the amount of overhead this involves of the customer, to try demos of all the pieces.

And thinking of trying demos: if the buyer won't buy until all the demos are available, and the events start on different days... that's pretty inconvenient. For me, it would be asking an awful lot to expect me to come back and buy a piece days after I tried it on. It would need to be both fantastically wonderful and fantastically cheap.

The seller might send you demo if you were customer. Not that Im defending the idea, Im with you on how inconvenient it is. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CheriColette said:

I have seen a top or pant or one dress, offered as group gift and then its up to the customer if they wish to buy other pieces in the set or a hud with colour options.  

I've never seen this. If had I would never have gotten the gift because I am not going to go chasing all over the grid wasting my time, which is even more precious to me as I get older.  

It is really disheartening to see merchants in SL become just as greedy and inconsiderate (to put it mildly) as their corporate counterparts in the US.

• Like 1

I would not likely go around to different events to collect pieces of an outfit, just like I won't buy outfits from a gacha where you have to collect the whole set to have the complete outfit.  If it was something like Rhonda mentioned where it wasn't an outfit but separate items that went well together but didn't need to be worn together, I might consider that.  I don't go to that many events any more, so it would need to be something that I really, really liked. 

I was thinking that this collectible bonus outfit would turn shopping into a kind of gaming experience. A merchant could use this method to sell their less desirable goods. What if you received a dress but the color changing hud was with another outfit? I guess that'd still be annoying.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I've never seen this. If had I would never have gotten the gift because I am not going to go chasing all over the grid wasting my time, which is even more precious to me as I get older.  

It is really disheartening to see merchants in SL become just as greedy and inconsiderate (to put it mildly) as their corporate counterparts in the US.

But a gift is still a gift. Its free to you and only cost the seller time, effort and money. Think of it like a demo you can keep and wear. 

6 minutes ago, CheriColette said:

But a gift is still a gift. Its free to you and only cost the seller time, effort and money. Think of it like a demo you can keep and wear. 

I'm not one to accept just any gift from a stranger.

I didn't ask them to make anything to give to me. They made that choice of their own free will. No one held a gun to their head.

They don't know me or what I like so they couldn't possibly have had me in mind when making it.

I don't keep demos. They're not meant to be kept.

As I said, I'm not going to waste what little time I have left in this life chasing down a bunch of pixels. 

True gifts don't come with strings attached.

I think it would be a fun gimmick if parts of it were free or super cheap.  But I also think that cross-promotion and exploring in SL is important; so it may not be everyone's cup of tea.  Especially since big events have a lot of avatars and regions become laggy. 😕

If designers really wanted to break up an outfit into "parts" for customers to combine into a final product, I've got them covered.  I made a system for creators called "[DS] Item Combiner", it's on the marketplace. 

It was originally geared more towards crafting games development in SL, but a couple prominent creators are integrating it into fun events for their brands.

It depends.

If the first part of the item is completely usable by itself, appropriately priced and the subsequent items are optional add-ons that work but are not necessary with it then I don't mind at all.  If each item is useless or near useless without all parts then I wouldn't be interested at all.  It would leave a sour taste with me and I would think less of that creator for attempting it.

I like a straight sale proposition generally, no gimmicks, no funny business.  Give me good value for my money and I am happy.

Just saying. the gifts I have received have been 'stand alone' and not necessary to buy other pieces.

Think the MMM rounds...each month, at Midnight and Midday,  various vendors put out one or two items (usually related such as a top or pant/skirt or two colours of dress or shoes, sometimes household items) free for picking up. And after popular demand for more, vendors started advertising HUDs at a discount. If you missed picking up something you wanted in time, there is another option to buy everything at discounted price for a short time afterwards.

Its a fun way to shop, with a web page having a count down clock to the day, to showing gifts the day before the hunt. Joining the MMM group gives access to equipment (invisible 'clothes' to shop in which lower lag) and a HUD with TP to each shop participating. 

Edited by CheriColette
spelling

I've never gone to a single shopping event.  My general understanding is that they are too crowded to get into which means almost certainly my FPS would plummet meaning I can't actually look at anything I might want to buy.  No thanks.  I find stuff I like on MP and from there I get brands I like.  What I buy is fatpacks not outfits as a general rule.  So this whole scheme is a complete miss for me.

On 10/7/2019 at 2:51 AM, Bree Giffen said:

What if a merchant were to split all the pieces of an exclusive outfit into several other outfits that sell at different events? Do you this this gimmick would encourage people to collect all the pieces by buying all the outfits and various events? Or would it be too annoying? Personally, I think it would depend on the exclusive outfit and how much I like the store. 

Sounds like hard work to me, but perhaps I'm just lazy - path of least resistance and all that.

Truth is, there'll never be a pixel outfit good enough to twist myself in knots over.

On 10/7/2019 at 12:43 PM, Bree Giffen said:

I was thinking that this collectible bonus outfit would turn shopping into a kind of gaming experience. A merchant could use this method to sell their less desirable goods. What if you received a dress but the color changing hud was with another outfit? I guess that'd still be annoying.

Shopping is already enough of a PITA, why make it even more so? Less desirable goods are just that. If you want to increase the desirability, you should either improve the goods or set them at a reduced price and see if you can't increase the volume that way.

Of course, it is difficult to tell without seeing these less desirable goods, but you may want to consider grouping them into fat packs. Or even offer the ones that sell the least as gifts or dollarbies.

Sadly, sometimes things just don't sell very well and in those cases, I will usually either pull the item completely or offer it at a reduced price. If reducing the price doesn't help, that's when I pull or they become dollarbies or gifts/freebies.

Hopefully these suggestions will help to get the creative marketing muse working for you again. 👍

Edited by Selene Gregoire

It was annoying when someone spread an outfit out over three stores in a hunt, and hunts are all about traveling around and having to search things out. The hunt organisation put in a rule saying only one store per person too so it wasn't just us feeling that way.

It made us cross with the creator, even though we liked her stuff and the only price was the effort. If it was for sale though, and involved getting demos from different events and searching out all of the pieces, more than getting annoyed, I'd probably just lose whatever interest I may have had.

21 hours ago, Damian Mills said:

I've never gone to a single shopping event.  My general understanding is that they are too crowded to get into which means almost certainly my FPS would plummet meaning I can't actually look at anything I might want to buy.  No thanks.  I find stuff I like on MP and from there I get brands I like.  What I buy is fatpacks not outfits as a general rule.  So this whole scheme is a complete miss for me.

Most shopping events are very popular or full in their first few days/week then the number of people in the sim starts to tail off, I find the "Region Tracker" in Firestorm useful for seeing how full events i choose to visit regularly are. if your viewer has the option you could always set your viewer to "Show friends only" or in the advanced menu disable "Avatar" rendering when visiting a shopping event. 

On 10/7/2019 at 5:13 PM, Bree Giffen said:

Gaming experiences and true virtual worlds are like oil and water. Sure there will always be those wanting to turn SL into WoW. But most of us get that Second Life is not a game. I hope anyway.

On 10/7/2019 at 12:43 PM, Bree Giffen said:

Duel at dawn, most likely.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1656 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.