New Selling Gimmick

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What if a merchant were to split all the pieces of an exclusive outfit into several other outfits that sell at different events? Do you this this gimmick would encourage people to collect all the pieces by buying all the outfits and various events? Or would it be too annoying? Personally, I think it would depend on the exclusive outfit and how much I like the store. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think gimmicks in general are annoying.  My consumer habits are to purchase what I enjoy rather than what I am manipulated into buying, because if it requires manipulation then I probably turn off.  Sometimes there can be an experience added on to the act of purchasing (such as a haunted hunt or a group party thing) which I can buy into in the right mood.  But separating items into different events would probably turn me off because the gimmick is "get to all these events and increase exposure to all these other shops"  rather than "look how cool and creative this one shop is."    I suppose someone could come along and change my mind but right now I am prejudiced against gimmicks, I would say.

• Like 1

Not for me thanks.  I might buy one piece at one event but if I had to go about collecting parts from other events it would have to be THE most amazing cannot miss outfit ever and I doubt that will happen. 

Edited by Cindy Evanier
typo

The fact that sellers already do this at singular events is annoying as hell (mostly gacha style, but sometimes not) or I should say would be annoying to me if I was a shopper and an event goer, lol.  Yet, people go by the droves and will play those machines til their lil fingers can't click anymore, or wait (patiently or not) to get into an event to get an outfit (and they have the potential of recouping some of their spent funds on gachas too, if they so desire). I would imagine that if a seller chose to break that same outfit or item up over different events, the same number of people would still click til their lil fingers could click no more, or wait to get into an event to get the complete set too. There is an audience for everything, of course. I doubt it would be any less effective than current methods.I'm sure it would be adopted the way every other shopping/selling trend has.

I wouldn't do it, but if I made and sold clothes I also wouldn't split an outfit up at all to sell it gacha (or not) style, either, because I'm not a fan of such.  I also don't like events or 99.999999999999% of gachas though, so, that skews my opinion a lot as well, lol. 

I've already seen this happen. At least one menswear store has put a suit jacket out at one event and the matching pants at another event. In fact, the same store has done a similar thing (not necessarily with a suit, but with an outfit whose top and bottom parts go together) three times now, over the past few years.

No, Bree... I would not personally.  I have 177 pages of Favorites.  There are just too many wonderful things in SL to bother with the above idea.  

I only like Uber anyways but I do not go every month...only when I want too because there is just lots and lots of amazing things in SL.

I do use my FAVORITES quite a lot for my purchases and that uses up a lot of my shopping budget anyways.

I need to get RL stuff now to set myself up for the coming Winter.  So, I live on a budget in SL and I use my Favorites mostly.   

(hushes crowd)

Step right up to my 
  MULTI-EVENT HUNT EXTRAVAGANZA !

That's right it's an 
  EVENT.  OF.  EVENTS !

(please don't get the impression that this month I'd only concocted one outfit and accessories and now must spread them thinly across all these damned Halloween events everywhere and really who buys Halloween outfits the other 11 months of the year why do I even bother why why I ask you)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

They do it with outfits already in the same vendor spot at events..

By the time you are finished getting everything  an outfit can cost you 4k easily..

I just stopped buying the broken up sets anymore.. They charge what whole outfits used to cost, for just one piece..

I seen a pair of shorts fatpack that was like 3700 the other day..For shorts..

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

Nope. For the same reason I don't do gacha, I would not be bothered to visit several places for the pieces of a single outfit. If a creator wants to sell to me, follow the three As: make it attractive, make it affordable, and make it available.

I avoid Gachas like the plague. Don't they fall under the gambling rule like slots or loot boxes in MMOs?

If I want the outfit --- I want the whole thing here and now!

• Like 3

Recently one of my favorite stores released a top I wanted at one event and pants I wanted at another.  They went together but were not necessarily a set.  I didn't mind stopping by two events to pick them both up.  It's not like I wasn't going to check out both events anyway.  If all the pieces were something I want I would go to 3 or 4 places to get them all.  Being exclusives really don't figure in to the deal, just how much I want the various pieces

1 hour ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I avoid Gachas like the plague. Don't they fall under the gambling rule like slots or loot boxes in MMOs?

in the USA loot boxes are still legal depending on how each respective states law is interpreted, like there is no federal law against them. In Europe, Belgium and Netherlands have banned them. The EU as a body hasn't yet

when either EU or USA as whole bodies, ban loot boxes then LL will most likely remove gachas from SL. Unless before then a country like Belgium as a state body, takes a legal action against LL, which Belgium is doing to Electronic Arts at the moment. How that court case will resolve, I dunno

Edited by Mollymews
typeo
  • Like 1

For me this would depend on how useful the pieces would be stand alone.

Let's say you built a 'Viking Warrior Princess of Jupiter' outfit + avatar theme.

- Venue A has the skin & shape

- Venue B has the mesh hair

- Venue C has the clothes

- Venue D has the weapons.

-- Pretty good chances I could be happy with any single one of these pieces.

Let's say you built a mesh Cyberpunk aircar

- Venue A has the car frame with no texture or driving script

- Venue B has a scripted applier to texture 3 different themes

- Venue C has the wheels and chairs, and a script that links the parts when they're all rezzed near each other.

- Venue D has the driving script and HUD.

--- I'd avoid this whole mess...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

What if a merchant were to split all the pieces of an exclusive outfit into several other outfits that sell at different events? Do you this this gimmick would encourage people to collect all the pieces by buying all the outfits and various events? Or would it be too annoying? Personally, I think it would depend on the exclusive outfit and how much I like the store. 

Lots of Gachas do something similar, all the different components and accessories are there, but the main part, the top and pants/skirt are Ultra-Rare, while all the belts, gloves, collars and other bits are Common.

It annoys the *bleep* out of me and I just go and buy something else. Where I can get what I want in one transaction.

• Like 6

I think this whole gacha scenario is shameful. They are trying everything possible to remove as many fools from their money as they can. And they are blatant about it. "Get the money any way possible regardless of who pays the price." Whatever happened to doing the right thing because it was the right thing to do...or make a product and stand behind it. If you have no customer service, don't bother making a product.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.