Gabriele Graves

Do you stay logged in or do you log out?

SL overheats my pc so I always log off when afk, but I'll usually log on via Radegast when afk so I don't miss any group chats.

10 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I am in this last category, mostly I log out but sometimes I forget and stay logged in for many hours when I am sleeping, out at work, shopping, etc.  The only odd part is that I never do this at events or at a party, etc.  I only forget when I am on my land but my avatar is just usually left where ever I was and with whatever I am wearing.

this is me. I often forget to logoff when on my parcel.  Not just SL, also whole bunches of other programs which are still running

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

If i know i'm going to be AFK longer than 30 - 45 mins i will TP home and log out. Whilst i'm always dressed when i log out occasionally when i next log in parts or most of my outfit has detached it's self

Oh Claireschen! It seems you have a VERY naughty avie! I wonder just what she's been doing while you were logged off *grins*

• Haha 1

I regularly forget that I am in SL and leave it running with my avatars standing in their homes. I've taken long naps and even gone into town shopping. I don't leave my PC on overnight though.

When I close the cover of my laptop it logs me out whether I want to or not, and sense I don't leave my laptop sitting around open I always am logged out when I leave the computer. My luck the cat will knock the thing over and cause real damage. 

• Like 1

I normally log my avi off when done for the night.   Sometimes if I'm away for a short time like going down the street to A&W to get a root beer I'll TP her to a skybox.

I do remember long ago when I had my first SL club and the Linden (Who used to come to our RL night club and told me about SL) visited to check it out and left his office forgetting to log off his avi. Later that night I was at the night club and was showing one of my workers SL and noticed the Linden left his avi logged in still parked at my SL club. A few minutes later he came to the night club and I flagged him over to the booth and showed him.  He went "aw snap" and used another comp that was in the booth, which also had SL on it, to knock his avi offline.

He told me few days later his avi had boatloads of PMs about this and that and replied back to them to use the website's helpdesk to have their stuff looked at.

I'll log in and out a dozen times even when active.

- force cache to relook at things

- swap between alts if I'm messing with configuring something

- just because

Remember that old first rule of tech support? Restart the machine. That also applies to individual apps.

Once in a rare moment... I fire up the app again and that notice that there's an update is on the screen...

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, malienna said:

SL overheats my pc so I always log off when afk, but I'll usually log on via Radegast when afk so I don't miss any group chats.

I recommend turning down your graphics settings.

Also... look at your usual spots in wireframe mode. See anything that looks way way way too detailed? If you own the land - get rid of it. If not, stop hanging out there. SL is full of 3D models stolen from art sites, being around them will overtax low to medium graphics cards. Before my switch from Macbook pro to a new PC, I had this overheating issue (a 2013 Macbook Pro just can't handle some of this stuff) - so I had to adapt to avoiding some venues or derending some things.

On a PC, I think 'Control-Shift-R' puts you in wireframe mode.

You'll just kinda have to get a feel for what items are too intense. It ends up a little obvious is one thing seems to have millions more 'lines' then the stuff around it.

In this:

original_5d9a689d73ed1759f6000001.png

See the yellow thing on the left, the pinkish chair, and the statures behind me. Also there's a cube-like item in the center screen.
- that thing on the left is a human statue. Blocked because this is A-land and the rest of it would be... not appropriate. It and the chair are too high polygon. Enough so that taking this image is making think I might want to remove them. The human statue I've mostly blocked has detail in it that makes me suspect it's ripped from a Daz3D figure... It's about 10x the polygons of my own mesh body...

The chair... might also be ripped, harder to say. Notice how there's a sofa above and behind me (on the second floor), that has a LOT less lines - properly made for 'real time graphics'. This pink chair, I don't even use it. Bought it maybe 3 years ago and sat in it maybe 10 times, it's just decoration... bye to that.

The cube in the center - is a PG 'game' item I just bought at a monthly event Way too many polygons in there. Thankfully it was under 200L.

The stature behind my head - they're borderline high detail. Low enough that they don't look ripped.

My hair also looks a little high detail. Most hair does. I should look at that and decide if it's the case or if the angle and laying is making me too suspicious.

- Look around you like this, you can start seeing things in SL that are likely stolen or just badly made...

ps: See all that orange in the minimap on the neighbor's land? That's temp-on-rez items. Items that last for 1 minute before vanishing. The neighbor sells a kit that will rez items in it just before the old copy is destroyed - a trick to make items cost 0-land impact that is also very lag-inducing... Avoid that stuff... My sim has only 5 small parcels and mostly protected land, so the damage those things can do is less extreme than it would be elsewhere. On a regular sim if those temp items where also scripted it could be a sim killer... I know that because... I used to be heavily into using those things...
- back in 2009 I used to wonder who the jerk was that was lagging the heck out of my sim, until the day I took down my own build... Oops... :P

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Also... look at your usual spots in wireframe mode. See anything that looks way way way too detailed?

I appreciate your advice, and the info you so kindly shared with me. I've never heard of wireframe mode - this is so helpful! I think my own mesh head and body are causing problems so am going to switch to a non-human av and see if that helps.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, malienna said:

I appreciate your advice, and the info you so kindly shared with me. I've never heard of wireframe mode - this is so helpful! I think my own mesh head and body are causing problems so am going to switch to a non-human av and see if that helps.

Most brands of mesh body are a little high polygon, but not too high. The tops brands are pretty good about this issue.

I cannot say here, which one of them I believe is ripped. That said I am looking at it inworld right now - and the part I think they ripped, they tuned to be very low polygon. They may have ripped not the model, but some animations for it - to say much more would reveal it... so I'll leave that there.

Updating your PC is obviously expensive... but get an SL Viewer like Firestorm that has a derender feature. If you find things you thing are lagging you derender them (but not derender + blacklist). If the situation gets better, then derender+blacklist the item (after a relog to get it to render again). If not, it wasn't the cause (by itself at least) of the issue.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Thanks 1

Like other posters I have, over the years, talked with people who thought that your avatar stayed online when you log out.  It seems to be one of those persistent newbie myths.  I know I believed it for a while too.

Back in the days when I was a lot newer to SL, I started to receive offline IMs demanding that I stop lurking at some place where I had actually crashed out from.  The land owner was livid and started sending me these IMs after a few days of me allegedly being there.  They were using some very choice language and accusing me of using a hacked griefer viewer to somehow evade being ejected/teleported home.  When I finally came back online, I tried to tell them that I was not on their land but to no avail.  Reluctantly I teleported over to see for myself and poof, just like that my ghost disappeared.  Needless to say they were fine about it after that but I don't think their blood pressure stabilised for a while.

• Haha 1

I live in shared accommodation, so I usually log out if away from my computer. Who know what might happen otherwise! 

i log out if i'm going to be inactive for more than half an hour, although i have high performance case fan but second life can still run pretty hot on my system

• Like 2

11 hours ago, malienna said:

8 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

The majority of computers is using fans to circulate air in order to cool down the chips. After years of use, the fans and radiatorr are pretty clogged with dust and other particles.
Wouldnt be the worst idea, to get that parts cleaned.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

People that stay logged in while sleeping must have to much money or energy is extreme cheap.

Need to admit that secondlife does not really use cpu or gou resources. So fans would not soin up. But it's still extra noise that can better be turned off.

Edited by Richardus Raymaker

23 minutes ago, Richardus Raymaker said:

People that stay logged in while sleeping must have to much money or energy is extreme cheap.

With the energy and money im saving by taking the bicycle to get to work for a single day, instead of using my car (being trapped in the traffic jam), im sure i can run a computer for a whole month.

4 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Reluctantly I teleported over to see for myself and poof, just like that my ghost disappeared.

I fondly remember the days of ghosts, and Marigold Devin's relentless pursuit of them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I fondly remember the days of ghosts, and Marigold Devin's relentless pursuit of them.

Reason to have an alt #47: Going to visit your ghost.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

With the energy and money im saving by taking the bicycle to get to work for a single day, instead of using my car (being trapped in the traffic jam), im sure i can run a computer for a whole month.

But why waste the energy if it's not actually being used for anything?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

After having lost several network cards and an excellent television to a lightening strike almost 20 years ago, I never leave my computers running if I am not at home or sleeping. I was lucky it didn't fry my mobos and a few other things.

I once read that merely being connected to the mains power grid made electronics vulnerable to lightning, and that the normal computer power-down doesn't really disconnect enough to protect anything (although surge protectors may help a little). The claim was that connected electronics can actually better absorb power spikes when they're already powered up. I have no idea if this is really correct, or how much any of this applies to the fantastically high current of a lightning strike.

(My experience with lightning was learning to replace the electronics of a built-in microwave, fried by lightning. Not sure what could have been done to protect from that.)

To the topic: Yeah, I logout whenever I know I'll be away for more than, say, 10 minutes. I clean my computers' fans and air vents and heat sinks and etc pretty regularly, but still the fan speeds up when SL is running -- even when minimized -- so it just feels as if it's all working harder than it should if I'm not even there to benefit from it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

But why waste the energy if it's not actually being used for anything?

Im not online while AFK  mostly, but others pointed out their reasons to do so. For me, thats ok.

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I once read that merely being connected to the mains power grid made electronics vulnerable to lightning, and that the normal computer power-down doesn't really disconnect enough to protect anything (although surge protectors may help a little). The claim was that connected electronics can actually better absorb power spikes when they're already powered up. I have no idea if this is really correct, or how much any of this applies to the fantastically high current of a lightning strike.

(My experience with lightning was learning to replace the electronics of a built-in microwave, fried by lightning. Not sure what could have been done to protect from that.)

To the topic: Yeah, I logout whenever I know I'll be away for more than, say, 10 minutes. I clean my computers' fans and air vents and heat sinks and etc pretty regularly, but still the fan speeds up when SL is running -- even when minimized -- so it just feels as if it's all working harder than it should if I'm not even there to benefit from it.

Where this occurred was a brick building with a radio tower right next to it and yes the tower belonged to the building and was connected. The lightening hit the tower. I know the building well as I worked in it for a decade and later had my own business in the same building. That was the first time that tower ever got struck by lightening in almost 90 years.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, anniepany said:

Oh Claireschen! It seems you have a VERY naughty avie! I wonder just what she's been doing while you were logged off *grins*

I blame the alts 😄 i think they're jealous that they don't as much inworld time 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Being plugged in is all it takes, unless the power switch on the computer is purely mechanical, making a hard break with the power line. Many (most?) modern computers are actually always on, but in some kind of sleep mode when inactive. In that case, the power supply electronics are continuously connected to the mains and the surge or spike will travel into the power supply whether it's on or sleeping. The fast spikes of a lightning strike must be stopped by the protection components in the power supply itself, and that won't depend much, if at all, by what's going on. There probably is a situation in which the computer is safer if it's on, but I wouldn't count on that.

It's good practice to unplug sensitive electronic devices if you have a history of disturbances during lightning storms. If your neighborhood is powered by overhead cable, a strike nearby could cause quite a bit of damage. My neighborhood is now fed entirely by underground cable, all the way from the substation. A lightning strike is unlikely to reach me. Even so, My lab/office contains quite a few very expensive test instruments and my computer. They all get their power through a mechanical relay power strip that's under software control. I can disconnect all of the lab circuits remotely at any time, presuming a storm hasn't already knocked out Internet access.

My relay solution may not help you if your house is fed from an overhead line and lightning strikes the line. A direct hit might exceed the blocking potential of any mechanical switches, arcing right through them. Should that happen, you're likely to have bigger problems than data/computer loss.

• Thanks 2

Maddy, what power strip do you use?

Here, we have a "whole house" surge protector at the power panel, and surge protected power strips (or, for the computers, a UPS).  I still turn off the machines when we have a thunderstorm.  I know that I should actually physically unplug everything from the walls, but that is such a huge pain, especially for the many outlets that are obstructed by tables, desks, or bookcases.

It would be so convenient if there was a "smart" power strip that used Z-wave.  I could "unplug" everything in the house with a quick Alexa command.  Well, except for Alexa, the Z-wave hub, and all the Z-wave switches and plugs that the Resident Geek installed during our renovation.

I guess we are just going to have to fry.