clubs/music venues.

Lyric Bayn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1661 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Lyric Bayn said:

So i think its extremely tacky and unprofessional, when the hosts, djs and whoever else is cheerleading on the sideline begs for tips every 2-5 minutes....just saying.😂

I'm not sure I get "tacky" and "unprofessional" -- but I do entirely understand, and have experienced, a slight sense of . . . discomfort? maybe even annoyance? . . . in clubs where this happens. Mostly, it doesn't in the clubs that I go to, because they tend to be more community-oriented, casual places, but I know what you're talking about.

I discovered something a long time ago, however, about this. If I do tip the DJ, or the host, or the venue, even a small amount (say, L$50), that feeling of discomfort or annoyance almost immediately magically disappears.

And I realized, as a result, that most of that feeling was, really, coming from a slight sense of guilt or even embarrassment, because I wasn't contributing something, anything, to the event that I was currently enjoying, for free. And that even a token offering was enough to make me feel like I was at least registering my appreciation for those who were putting time, effort, and sometimes money into offering me something for my pleasure. Mostly, I think, those to whom I gave the tip appreciated the recognition from me, even if it was a pretty insubstantial amount (as, in my early days in SL, it tended to be: I wasn't exactly super rich in those days).

I think, generally, that's mostly what it's really about: the acknowledgment and recognition. I doubt that too many hosts or DJs are getting rich on L$200 tips, or that many sim owners are able to cover rental costs or tier for what they're getting that way.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm not sure I get "tacky" and "unprofessional" -- but I do entirely understand, and have experienced, a slight sense of . . . discomfort? maybe even annoyance? . . . in clubs where this happens. Mostly, it doesn't in the clubs that I go to, because they tend to be more community-oriented, casual places, but I know what you're talking about.

I discovered something a long time ago, however, about this. If I do tip the DJ, or the host, or the venue, even a small amount (say, L$50), that feeling of discomfort or annoyance almost immediately magically disappears.

And I realized, as a result, that most of that feeling was, really, coming from a slight sense of guilt or even embarrassment, because I wasn't contributing something, anything, to the event that I was currently enjoying, for free. And that even a token offering was enough to make me feel like I was at least registering my appreciation for those who were putting time, effort, and sometimes money into offering me something for my pleasure. Mostly, I think, those to whom I gave the tip appreciated the recognition from me, even if it was a pretty insubstantial amount (as, in my early days in SL, it tended to be: I wasn't exactly super rich in those days).

I think, generally, that's mostly what it's really about: the acknowledgment and recognition. I doubt that too many hosts or DJs are getting rich on L$200 tips, or that many sim owners are able to cover rental costs or tier for what they're getting that way.

Annoying YES, guilt, not at all i spend PLENTY supporting creators lol

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Great! I don't doubt you at all. Does that extend to tipping DJs at clubs?

No boss it actually doesnt, half the time the sl media doesnt even play so no i wont be tipping djs, its just as easy for me to listen to my spotify.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Lyric Bayn said:

So i think its extremely tacky and unprofessional, when the hosts, djs and whoever else is cheerleading on the sideline begs for tips every 2-5 minutes....just saying.😂

Just saying?  Why do you need to say it?

It's just part of their job plus every little bit helps.

I save money so I can tip....but that's just me.  And, what I am trying to say is everyone will be different on this issue.  So, I don't understand the need to say it or bring it up?  Each to their own on this.  Tip if you want too...it is not mandatory.

Saying you'd like to find venues that perhaps don't play all the hits all the time that you've already heard would be more productive.  I get sick of hearing the hits too much too.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lyric Bayn said:

No boss it actually doesnt, half the time the sl media doesnt even play so no i wont be tipping djs, its just as easy for me to listen to my spotify.

It is, of course, entirely up to you what you spend your money on.

I will just note, however, that the DJ isn't putting any less time or effort into their show because your media isn't working? And presumably, none of the people you're there socializing with would be there at all were it not for the existence of the venue, and the work of the DJ.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Lyric Bayn said:

i said it because i felt like it, why you just say that to me? cause you felt like it.

No, actually, I was wondering what you hoped to achieve out of saying it.

Now I have read your media doesn't play.

Well, I'd think getting your media to play issue fixed and/or seeking out a venue where you'd like to hear different music would be worthwhile; otherwise, it's just an opinion thread.

DJ's and hosts and clubs are not going to change regarding the tip issue..it is how they operate.  Don't try to change what you cannot change.

my media will play on my pc, it just wont play in second life. i have tried everything i can think of to fix the issue. I got it fixed a couple times but now the end result is the same issue no media. so i wanna go to the club and then i see in chat every 2-5 minutes about tips. I just felt like complaining because where else can you go and meet people, i mean people not actual bots....i know my complaining is never ending, but now i feel better 😂

23 minutes ago, Lyric Bayn said:

my media will play on my pc, it just wont play in second life. i have tried everything i can think of to fix the issue. I got it fixed a couple times but now the end result is the same issue no media. so i wanna go to the club and then i see in chat every 2-5 minutes about tips. I just felt like complaining because where else can you go and meet people, i mean people not actual bots....i know my complaining is never ending, but now i feel better 😂

Well, fixing the media needs to start with what type of computer you have and what viewer to begin with.  Otherwise, it's a needle in a haystack kind of thing without more information.  

It you use Firestorm, there is Firestorm Support English group inworld which is there to help 24/7.

As far as tips, there is a way for clubs to charge a cover charge rather than ask for tips.

Would you want that?  

I think the majority of SL residents would rather tip.  

I have my "entertainment" budgeted into my SL budget because I prefer the tip style over the cover charge idea.  

If you get your media fixed, there are very talented people here in SL worth that tip!   They are very, very good at what they do. 

And, the hosts and DJ's are there to help prevent griefer attacks.  They have the power to eject if need be, so they do a good job looking after us.  

Edited by FairreLilette

Please tip the thread and give a shoutout to all of our lovely posters

,-~-,       ,-~~~~-,    /\  /\
(\   / ,-, \    ,'        ', /  ~~  \
 \'-' /   \ \  /     _      #  <0 0> \
  '--'     \ \/    .' '.    # =  Y  =/
            \     / \   \   `#-..!.-'
             \   \   \   `\ \\
              )  />  /     \ \\
             / /`/ /`__     \ \\__
          (____)))_)))     \__)))
Meooooowwww!!

This thread Rawks !!! OooO OooO

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

You know what's really tacky? Going to a music venue and not tipping the performers, the host, and the venue.

I find it even more tacky that there are those who seem to think if you don't have the Ls to spare you shouldn't be enjoying the music. Kind of like how many think those who are poor shouldn't be allowed to have ice cream or any of the other small pleasures in life, just because they are poor.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

2 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Just saying?  Why do you need to say it?

It's just part of their job plus every little bit helps.

I save money so I can tip....but that's just me.  And, what I am trying to say is everyone will be different on this issue.  So, I don't understand the need to say it or bring it up?  Each to their own on this.  Tip if you want too...it is not mandatory.

Saying you'd like to find venues that perhaps don't play all the hits all the time that you've already heard would be more productive.  I get sick of hearing the hits too much too.  

I would get sick of hearing the same stuff over and over too. When my man plays in world at a club, he usually does it from our RL bar and the music library has about a million tunes, so he'll dig out some lost gems. Long ago went to a club that had in their notice they were playing classic disco and having a theme. Got there and they play 2 disco songs per hour and rest all house music, etc.  Bailed quickly.

As for the constant begging nonstop --- it is annoying.  I own a live music club (although a friend is taking it over for me) and play host ourselves.  Maybe once during the hour for the live performer might mentioned to "support live music" and that's it. I also find it annoying if a performers/DJ's tipjar spews that chat every so often.

• Like 1

I avoid clubs like the plague because of gesturebaters, it annoys the living crap out of me and completely ruins any and all atmospheres. Doesn't matter what place it is, it drives me bonkers-most tend to have a textual representation in local. I have had gesture sounds turned off for years, but even the text is annoying. I don't like going places and tipping people to annoy me, I have plenty who will gladly do so for free. So I don't put myself in the position that would require me to do so (because I would also feel bad if I didn't tip, weird conundrum really)

I prefer to just explore and go awesome places and tip/donate to the folks that made/own it. I appreciate the effort they put in to create something others will enjoy, especially places that have been around for a while or places that get little traffic but are just awesome. Someone is paying for it, after all, and it's an ongoing expense. Even if I find that it's not my taste, I still tip, lol. I do it all the time at places that don't even have tip/donation thingymabobs and don't ask either. I've had people IM me even after the fact "hey why did you send me $?", lol. It's quite possible in some cases I've forgotten at that point why I did, but if not, I'll tell them, and if they try to return it, I just send it right back, lol. If I do forget, I can usually figure it out by checking their profile. I wish more people did that-it would keep some of the most beautiful, awesome, fun, whatever places of sl open far longer if we did, but I digress...

I'm more of a places and things sort of person than I am a people person when it comes to my travels, though. I don't really like crowded (what equates crowded varies) areas because I can't settle, relax and let things flow in, lack of better terminology on my part, as I wander. Well not in the way I want to anyway. 

(plus I can listen to my own music and don't have to hear someone cut in every now and then, lol  😛)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

God, how I miss your peacock, @Sylvia Tamalyn...

Here ya go!

And to add to the conversation, I keep my speakers off all the time, but if I'm at a party/club having fun, even though I'm not listening to the music, of *course* I tip the DJ, etc. They are working and creating the atmosphere that's bringing in the crowd that I'm enjoying, and there are expenses behind all of that (land rental/tier, stream rental fee, etc.)  It doesn't have to be a huge tip! Any tip helps, I am sure. 

If you don't like being asked for tips, find another place to go. So simple.

peacock.jpg.835e9f47a446f4b6fe7d9674261d79b9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

I avoid clubs like the plague because of gesturebaters, it annoys the living crap out of me and completely ruins any and all atmospheres. Doesn't matter what place it is, it drives me bonkers-most tend to have a textual representation in local. I have had gesture sounds turned off for years, but even the text is annoying. I don't like going places and tipping people to annoy me, I have plenty who will gladly do so for free. So I don't put myself in the position that would require me to do so (because I would also feel bad if I didn't tip, weird conundrum really)

I prefer to just explore and go awesome places and tip/donate to the folks that made/own it. I appreciate the effort they put in to create something others will enjoy, especially places that have been around for a while or places that get little traffic but are just awesome. Someone is paying for it, after all, and it's an ongoing expense. Even if I find that it's not my taste, I still tip, lol. I do it all the time at places that don't even have tip/donation thingymabobs and don't ask either. I've had people IM me even after the fact "hey why did you send me $?", lol. It's quite possible in some cases I've forgotten at that point why I did, but if not, I'll tell them, and if they try to return it, I just send it right back, lol. If I do forget, I can usually figure it out by checking their profile. I wish more people did that-it would keep some of the most beautiful, awesome, fun, whatever places of sl open far longer if we did, but I digress...

I'm more of a places and things sort of person than I am a people person when it comes to my travels, though. I don't really like crowded (what equates crowded varies) areas because I can't settle, relax and let things flow in, lack of better terminology on my part, as I wander. Well not in the way I want to anyway. 

(plus I can listen to my own music and don't have to hear someone cut in every now and then, lol  😛)

You can block gestures under some area called SPAM and then you can write in how many lines you will accept or change a number.

It blocks a lot of gestures and I am not sure where it is now though but it works.  Can someone help her find it because it works even when you are exploring too.  

It's in the Firestorm viewer somewhere...?

It's blocks the written gesture but not the sound.  She says above she already blocked the sound.  I'm talking about something else.  I saw it in the Animesh viewer that was out of beta.   I mean, that's the viewer I have and found this area called SPAM..it is the Animesh viewer out of beta somewhere...?

Edited by FairreLilette

3 minutes ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

something quite effective for doing this is

firestorm

preferences>chat>visuals

(right down the bottom)

fade chat after 20 seconds 40#lines

(if you turn both right down you really don't see much local chat for long at all)

Yeah that too...but there is an area called SPAM and it blocks the written gesture...it won't allow gestures to play over a certain limit of lines you set.  I saw this feature when I started with the Amimesh viewer out of beta.  

15 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

You can block gestures under some area called SPAM and then you can write in how many lines you will accept or change a number.

It blocks a lot of gestures and I am not sure where it is now though but it works.  Can someone help her find it because it works even when you are exploring too.  

It's blocks the written gesture but not the sound.  She says above she already blocked the sound.  I'm talking about something else.  I saw it in the Animesh viewer that was out of beta.   I mean, that's the viewer I have and found this area called SPAM..it is the Animesh viewer out of beta somewhere...?

Preferences > Firestorm > Protection > Enable Spam Protection

Or just open Prefs and search for spam.

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

What you're speaking of, if it is what I think it is, has no way to determine if the person or object sending the message is sending a gesture or just text-or at least it doesn't do so properly if it is supposed to. There are some places I visit where objects "speak" either on their own or through some interaction (ie, post something in chat-such as tours and things like the old Africa sims used to for the hot air balloon rides). I would hate to miss out on those amazing things because some can't control their gesturebating. It's a behavior that's expected in many places, especially clubs, which is part of why I avoid them. I don't expect places to accommodate my desires, I realize they're probably a bit abnormal, so I remove myself form the equation instead. I'd rather not have to go in and continually edit that just to enjoy each individual place, it's easier to never let the bull in the china shop than it is to make him walk nicely :D  I am sure it's extremely helpful for others though as I bet there are folks who have never used that option before, so thank you for trying to help! 

I am aware of how to fade out the chat after a certain number of lines, etc, too, but I keep the local chat box open, not closed, and the fade chat thing pertains to NOT having that box open but relying purely on the text that moves vertically up the screen to represent local chat as it comes in. So the fading out has no impact on me at all-but it very well may help others who are also annoyed, so thanks for adding that in for others too! 

Edited by Tari Landar

13 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

I'd rather not have to go in and continually edit that just to enjoy each individual place,

If you are on FS, open your Quick Prefs then click on the little wrench in the bottom right corner to add preferences to Quick Prefs.

Here's how:  https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_quick_preferences  Just scroll down a little to Adding/Removing Settings.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1661 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.