Medhue Simoni

Point of No Return - Walkthrough

Aside from the looks of the shown content, the door that shoves you aside is really bad for a game-play like this. Have you thought to code the door using a dot product between the avatar's forward vector and the door's so to reverse the opening swing direction?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Generally speaking, I do not animate door with code. I think it is much better to animate doors with animation, as there are many doors usually, and I'd rather not waste precious code resources on doors.

Edited by Medhue Simoni
  • Haha 2

There are many things in a game. If creators are focused that much on doors, I'd probably not want to play their game, lol.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Medhue Simoni said:

I think it is much better to animate doors with animation, as there are many doors usually, and I'd rather not waste precious code resources on doors.

Much easier, not better. Starting from the fact that the whole control would be like 4 lines of code (dot product is a vector math library function call that returns a scalar value and a flow control if-else to determine which animation to play) and this wuold not add such strain on resources, not more than what in use already, under a gameplay point of view it makes it easier to move from a room to another, as in MANY other stealth and/or zombie fighting games where chasing/being chased is a main part of the game. But then if you prefer animating doors and use mixamo's zoombies animation packs, it's up to you (not to mention the baseball bat hitting animation clip...) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Medhue Simoni said:

There are many things in a game. If creators are focused that much on doors, I'd probably not want to play their game, lol.

Personally I always leave my doors open when possible. I script them when selling but personally I hate the opening and closing --- and of course there IS no security.  :D

36 minutes ago, OptimoMaximo said:

mixamo's zoombies animation packs

Dude, I animated every part of those zombies. I have never in my whole life used a canned animation made by anyone else but me. Do you have issues? You do not have unlimited code resources. I've had this ridiculous door debate many times. In the end, its a friggin door, you walk thru it, to do something actually exciting. If the door is the exciting part of your game, then I feel sorry for your players. 

• Haha 2

Four more lines of code are trivially a resource hog, besides if a LOT of testers told us that a shoving door ruins the gameplay, there's nothing exciting about it. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 11:22 AM, Medhue Simoni said:

That really looks cool...I'm going to have to get over there and check it out!   I hope you didn't make those zombies too scary though    :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, OptimoMaximo said:

Four more lines of code are trivially a resource hog

First, it is not 4 lines of code. It is four lines of code for every door. And the doors have locks. It is kind of irrelevant how many lines of code something is. What is relevant is what that code is doing, and when it does it. Again I'll point out, why argue about how a door works? A door opens. I have yet to find 1 gamer in the world that is obsessed with how a door works in a game.

Edited by Medhue Simoni

58 minutes ago, Medhue Simoni said:

First, it is not 4 lines of code. It is four lines of code for every door.

That's what instancing is used for in real game engines. Then it IS 4 lines of code.

59 minutes ago, Medhue Simoni said:

Again I'll point out, why argue about how a door works?

I haven't argued for a second, mine was just a simple question, "have you thought about it?" and that was it. From the looks of it, who's arguing is not me after being somehow triggered. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Medhue Simoni said:

First, it is not 4 lines of code. It is four lines of code for every door. And the doors have locks. It is kind of irrelevant how many lines of code something is. What is relevant is what that code is doing, and when it does it. Again I'll point out, why argue about how a door works? A door opens. I have yet to find 1 gamer in the world that is obsessed with how a door works in a game.

I have no particular opinion on this debate as a whole, but people generally don't notice/care/think about things when they work "as expected."

But once doors become an annoyance (ie. get in the way), they will complain. I've seen this first-hand as a moderator for a game in development (which incidentally had this exact issue). I could even dig up the public dev blogs about it, their thought process, and how they solved it.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I have no particular opinion on this debate as a whole, but people generally don't notice/care/think about things when they work "as expected."

But once doors become an annoyance (ie. get in the way), they will complain. I've seen this first-hand as a moderator for a game in development (which incidentally had this exact issue). I could even dig up the public dev blogs about it, their thought process, and how they solved it.

^^ this

doors, portals, gates, etc have to work within the context of the scene. As Wulfie says, if they don't work in the way the players interpret the scene then the players get confused. How the players interpret the scene is the responsibility of the scene builder / story teller.  Get the story wrong and the players move beyond confused.  Player confusion is one of main reasons why games/scenes are less popular in terms of user uptake

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What the heck. The door serves a purpose. It is designed to lock you in the room, until you find the key. It does exactly that. Literally, 1 thousand players or more have run thru the game with zero complaints about the doors. If anyone did have any issue at all, it could be solved quite easily again, by changing the animation inside, and animating the collision differently. When you have all the tools at your disposal, anything can be solved easily, and efficiently. 

This is more akin to people simply wanting to do everything with code, or in my case animation. I try not to have that mindset, and I have a partner that has 40 years of experience coding, and wrote some of the core system for Apple. I think we know when and when not to use code or do something fancy. You have to know where to spend your time if you expect to actually put a game out. The vast majority of your time making a zombie game, should and was spent on the zombies. Not doors.

Edited by Medhue Simoni
  • Haha 1

What the heck. The door serves a purpose. It is designed to lock you in the room, until you find the key. It does exactly that.

Everything I said was in this context:

On 10/7/2019 at 8:10 PM, OptimoMaximo said:

Aside from the looks of the shown content, the door that shoves you aside is really bad for a game-play like this.

I did not watch the whole video initially, and now that I tried to skim it at 200% speed and 5 second skips, I did not see a point where a door shoved anyone.

This is more akin to people simply wanting to do everything with code, or in my case animation. [...] You have to know where to spend your time if you expect to actually put a game out. The vast majority of your time making a zombie game, should and was spent on the zombies. Not doors.

Since your game is pretty slow-paced and doesn't even have that many doors, you're probably right. But if you keep making games you will realize that the devil is in the details. You can spend 90% of your time on the "core" of your game and rush/botch the 10%, but if you do, that 10% is going to be the reason why people won't stay. Doors don't seem important, but in a game where doors are common, you must get them right so that they don't hinder anyone. Replace "doors" with any common interaction.

It's not about coding, it's about removing friction from your gameplay.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Medhue Simoni said:

I try not to have that mindset, and I have a partner that has 40 years of experience coding, and wrote some of the core system for Apple. I think we know when and when not to use code or do something fancy. You have to know where to spend your time if you expect to actually put a game out.

Sure. It's ten years that i work on real games on real game engines, thing that Sansar can't be called as, and learned when to bother the programmer and when i can get away with another solution. After these ten years i also learned to code these simpler solutions so to have my own set of choices without bothering the programmers when code is necessary. It's not a matter of "code only" or "animation only", it's more about finding a functional balance where you can, in this example, determine in which direction the door should swing, and therefore decide which animation clip to play, based on the clicker's position in relation to the clicked interactive object orientation. 

9 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I did not see a point where a door shoved anyone

The doors haven't shoved anyone, but the character stood behind it and had to turn around to walk through. If the avatar position would have been more central, it would have been shoved. And during a gameplay where the characters are being chased, that's the most likely situation a player would find theirselves in while rushing to reach the exit or an indoors hideout.

11 hours ago, Medhue Simoni said:

Literally, 1 thousand players or more have run thru the game with zero complaints

Yeah, sure, 1 thousand times the game was played, with repeated users, perhaps. Sansar has a concurrent user base of around 15 people and probably the total active users doesn't even reach that number you're claiming, but oh well. 

With this said I'm out, i can see the OP raging for a simple question i made that did not deserve such reaction. Keep up that professional looking and working work. 

Posted (edited)

Raging, I think not. That is in your own mind, not mine. 

My point is, and has always been, It's a door and it opens. You really do not get to decide which way a door opens. All doors in the real world open inward. It's a fact, especially if you have ever hung a door. And as I said, any issue with a door is easily solvable, if it is an issue. If it is not an issue, like in this case, then why would you spend any time at all. Bagnaria and I are 2 people.

You obviously know nothing about Sansar, or any other world. Every single 1 of our places in Sansar has a visitor tracker, so we know exactly how many unique players have been there. When I say 1000, that is being crazy conservative. Even in our other experience, Scurry Waters, which has mini games, we are now hitting near 7000 unique users. We've had over 1000 in 1 day at Scurry Waters. Bagnaria and I have easily made $10k in Sansar so far, without really even trying. How is that possible with your perception of Sansar?

This is kind of what annoys me tho. People talking crap when they really know nothing at all. I've been making 3D content for over 15 years now. I have video tutorials across many different platforms. Go search Medhue on the Unity forums. Unity actually invited me, and offered to fly me down to their place, just to test their animation test to be Unity certified. I don't even have any clue at all how many games I've helped make.

Edited by Medhue Simoni
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just wanted to say that whether FullSpectrum wants to "prove" how much money they have been making is there business. I have at least one person who repeatedly challenges almost every comment that I make.  I have not blocked her yet but I likely will eventually.  It gets VERY TIRING. 

What I will do is paste in MY PERSONAL cashout info from Sansar. It isn't great and certainly much much less than what I make (and have previously cashed out to Paypal in times past) in SL.  That once again is unverifiable unless I want to paste in all that info and I do not. 

I just really wish that folks would stop being so nasty to one another.

I was only in Sansar for a less than a year when I departed (mostly the creating on "shifting sands" thing). I returned a month and a half ago and made a lot of clothing and some jewelry and such.   I am not a big fish there --  certainly not as skilled as Medhue  and Bagnaria.  And counting what I have in my account now I have cashed out  made about $400 US plus some that I spent inworld.  I wasn't there from the beginning. I didn't get bonuses and all that jazz and I wasn't around when the first wave of "new folks" came to try things out -- and spent a fair amount of money. So "I" was there AFTER some of the boom times. Got it?   

I didn't see what Optimo wrote but I appreciate all the help he has given me in improving my skills.  This isn't -- or shouldn't be a contest.    

Here is MY PROOF (not that anyone really cares)  --- but honestly I see no reason that the $10K isn't correct -- assuming that is counting in the money from off-site Sansar related content like the avatar making kit. 

831979791_sansarcashout.jpg.8d4359bbfb649c9e4ea41840c75cc4fa.jpg

Edited by Chic Aeon
fixing cashed out to "made"
  • Like 1

Hello,

Let's move on from the doors and be chill, so I don't need to lock the thread for getting off topic.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1