i'm usuing a mac....how can i fly...controls are different

andrew5726

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4722 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

Hi Andrew,

As  far as I know there are no differences in basic functions in SL between PC and Mac. Page up should make you fly on either platform andyou should still have a "move" button on your viewer that has a fly button on it (on viewer 2)

There are some differences in shortcut commands is all these are shown here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/PC_and_Mac_shortcut_key_differences

Are you on the latest viewer? If so check that you are logged in on Advanced mode, you can logout and check that on the login screen. Basic mode has very few features and that could be your problem.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Basic-mode-FAQ/ta-p/733541

First, check you are in a zone that allows flying. Some do not, it is up to lands manager and some stores or areas turn it off.

If you are in a fly area then you might want to use the letter keys to initiate flying. On a mac you might be able to use the letter keys e to fly and c to land, also the letters a, s,d,w will allow you to move.

BUT, I think there is a option these days to turn the letter keys acting as movement keys on or off and to enable your viewer to only use chat when you press letter keys. This helps some with open area chat as they never use those letter keys for anything else but chat. Save you a click and taking your hands of the keyboard to grab the mouse lol. 

You can try closing the chat box if it opens when you press the e keys key, but if it opens again when you press it again you must have that chat feature enabled (it might be defualt now, I change so many things from default that I can't remember lol)

...well, I think you might have to hunt down the checkbox because I can't remember it and I am logged into a different OS right now. :( sorry for that. BUT, you might find it in the preferences options window accesible via the 'Me' menu while in advanced mode.

If you're on a Macbook you have to hold down the Fn key at the left, and press UP or Down arrow for PageUP and PageDown repsectivtly.  Fb key with left or right arrow key os Home and End respectivtly.

You don't need to remap your keys in the viewer.. that's too cumbersome.. and no Mac keyboards are Quite diffrent than PC keyboards since they aren't your standard 108 keyboard layouts. Even with desktops Macs the keyboards resmeble more like thier Macbook couterparts (small thin chicklet keyboard)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4722 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.