I can't get into the game

idaandersen04

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi there!

I can't get into my game. I can open the SL viewer and see everything perfectly fine, but when I log in and the progress bar is about three quarters done, it just freezes? I doesn't get any further, and I can't press Quit or close the app. I can use my computer as usual besides that, but I can't get out of SL.

I have tried closing my pc, which seems to be the only way that I can close the app, and then open SL again, but it's still frozen. I have also tried deleting SL and then downloading it again, but it's still the same.

The problem started yesterday, and I thought that my computer just needed to rest overnight and then it would be fine, but no.

Is there any way that I can get my game to work?

Edited by idaandersen04

19 answers to this question

1 hour ago, idaandersen04 said:

Hi there!

I can't get into my game. I can open the SL viewer and see everything perfectly fine, but when I log in and the progress bar is about three quarters done, it just freezes? I doesn't get any further, and I can't press Quit or close the app. I can use my computer as usual besides that, but I can't get out of SL.

I have tried closing my pc, which seems to be the only way that I can close the app, and then open SL again, but it's still frozen. I have also tried deleting SL and then downloading it again, but it's still the same.

The problem started yesterday, and I thought that my computer just needed to rest overnight and then it would be fine, but no.

Is there any way that I can get my game to work?

Open the viewer -  DO NOT TRY TO LOG IN.  Go to help - about in the viewer and paste all the into here.

24 minutes ago, idaandersen04 said:

I sent it in at 'Report bug'. Is that the right place?

NO!

In this forum, you are speaking to other SL residents and asking them for advice.  You are not talking to LL Tech Support.*  Paste the information Cindy asked for here, in your forum post.  "Report Bug" gets you into the JIRA bug tracking system.  That's used for reporting (and sometimes fixing) actual bugs...problems people run across that are deficiencies or errors in Second Life's programming.

*LL Tech Support is limited, but they CAN be reached...although that is probably not going to provide a solution for your specific problem.  To get to LL Tech Support, you would use Help/Support/Create Case.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

2 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

NO!

In this forum, you are speaking to other SL residents and asking them for advice.  You are not talking to LL Tech Support.*  Paste the information Cindy asked for here, in your forum post.

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Open the viewer -  DO NOT TRY TO LOG IN.  Go to help - about in the viewer and paste all the into here.

OH I'M SO SORRY! I read Cindys comment all wrong and completely misunderstood! I feel so stupid.

I have cancelled the report now, and here is the information that Cindy asked for:

Second Life Release 6.3.2.531296 (64bit)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz (1800 MHz)
Memory: 3912 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 18362.356)
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 25.20.100.6576
OpenGL Version: 4.2.0 - Build 25.20.100.6576

Window size: 1920x986
Font Size Adjustment: 96pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128m
Bandwidth: 3000kbit/s
LOD factor: 1.125
Render quality: 3
Advanced Lighting Model: Enabled
Texture memory: 512MB
VFS (cache) creation time: September 07 2019 15:17:07

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.4
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.64
Dullahan: 1.1.1320 / CEF: 3.3626.1895.g7001d56 / Chromium: 72.0.3626.121
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
October 04 2019 06:53:53

That's a lot better!

Well, I have to tell you that your computer is very marginal for Second Life.  In fact it's pretty marginal even for running the Windows 10 operating system.  Is there any chance that you can get more memory added to the system?  8 GB would be much better than your current 4 GB.

The other shortcoming is the graphics.  Your machine uses Intel UHD 620.  There is a known incompatibility between the SL viewer and this graphics chip.  You may be able to fix the problem by rolling back the graphics driver to version 24.20.100.6025.  Be sure you know what you are doing while doing this, or take your computer to someone who knows what they are doing.  There are about 48 different versions of this same driver, each one intended for a specific version of Windows and/or a specific computer CPU chip.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

That's a lot better!

Well, I have to tell you that your computer is very marginal for Second Life.  In fact it's pretty marginal even for running the Windows 10 operating system.  Is there any chance that you can get more memory added to the system?  8 GB would be much better than your current 4 GB.

The other shortcoming is the graphics.  Your machine uses Intel UHD 620.  There is a known incompatibility between the SL viewer and this graphics chip.  You may be able to fix the problem by rolling back the graphics driver to version 24.20.100.6025.  Be sure you know what you are doing while doing this, or take your computer to someone who knows what they are doing.  There are about 48 different versions of this same driver, each one intended for a specific version of Windows and/or a specific computer CPU chip.

I have followed a toturial before on how to this, but this was a long time ago and for another game. If you have the time, it would be great if you could explain how to do it!

And thank you for your help so far!

Well, this may prove to be difficult.

Ida, here is the link to download the LATEST graphics driver for your chip: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29074/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=128199  Please note that this will install version, 26.20.100.7212.  I don't know whether this will fix your problem!  The fix that I am aware of involves going back to a PREVIOUS version of the driver, specifically 24.20.100.6025.  When I checked Intel's site for this, I could not find it.

I did manage to find the older driver here: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/intel-integrated-graphics-drivers/?utm_source=webtekno  When you reach that page, scroll down the list of drivers on the left side, until you come to the EXACT driver version 24.20.100.6025, about halfway down the list.

If it were me, I would try the version 26 driver first.  It's possible that Intel has fixed whatever was giving the SL viewer issues.  If, after trying this driver, you still cannot log in, I would then try the older driver in the TechPowerUp library.  This may not be easy, whether you have updated to Version 26 or are starting from your current Version 25.  Intel and Microsoft have changed the way they do drivers, going to what they call "DCH" or "WIndows Modern Drivers".  This supposedly makes the update process easier and more foolproof, but makes rolling back to an earlier driver much more complicated.  Intel recommends contacting their tech support for help if you need to go back to a previous, non-DCH driver.

I'm sorry I'm not able to give you a clear path and step by step instructions!

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

No, that gives the "Page Not Found" error that led me to do a lot of further searching!  See my above post.

• Sad 1

Well, darn.

Sorry, Ida!

Hey, if you are desperate to get into SL, there's a workaround that might help, at least in the short term.  There is an online subscription service, Bright Canopy.  You pay them a (rather high) per-hour fee, and they run SL on their servers and stream the result to you in your browser.  This means you can get into SL on even low powered devices, like tablets.  Check it out here: https://brightcanopy.com/

Lindal, I got in! Instead of setting the spawn place to My lest location, I typed in London City, and it worked! The problem is that I can't really do anything right now? I'm pretty sure that the problem isn't my internet, so it must be my computer. I have heard that you can make your game faster by 'devoting' some of your gigabytes to an app. Is that true?

Excellent!  London City is a pretty crowded and laggy place, so you may have better results in other, less jumpin' places.  There are some things you can do to improve performance.

• Open Me/Preferences (CTRL+P).  In the Graphics tab, reduce your draw distance.  Try 64m.
  • In the same window, reduce the maximum avatar complexity slider.  Run it down to, say, about 100,000.  All avatars who are more complex than your limit will appear as "jelly doll" imposters.  Use the complexity slider to trade off between viewer performance, and how realistic others appear to you.
  • Try turning off any atmospheric shaders except for "Basic Shaders".
  • Try visiting some locations that are up high.  Landmarks will have three coordinates associated with them; these are the X, Y, and Z (height) coordinates of the arrival point within the region.  X and Y vary from 0 to 255.  Z varies from negative values (below sea level) to about 4000.  At any altitude above 1,000m, the viewer does not render anything on the ground.  As a result, frame rates up in skyboxes tend to be a lot higher than frame rates in the same region, down at ground level.

Oh...and about log in locations.  You can set your viewer to allow a choice of login, at your Last Location, your Home location, or a location you type in.  Your Home location can be set to any land you rent or own, any land owned by a group you belong to and that allows its members to set Home there, and any Linden-owned public land.  For example, if you join the Caledon Oxbridge University "Scholars" group, you can set your Home location to the Rose Garden at the center of the campus.  At any location where you are allowed to set Home, use the World menu > Set Home to Here command.  Now you can log in at that spot, and also press CTRL+SHIFT+H to teleport there instantly.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

Until you have found a safe, quiet place to log in normally, you may want to log in to an empty water region like Furball. There are very few people at the bottom of an ocean and very few assets that are using server resources, so your av will have nearly the server's full attention.  You will not be able to use World >>> Set Home to Here to establish that location as a permanent "home", but you can certainly point your viewer there as you log in each time.  Or you can make a practice of always going to that region before you log out, so that you can use the viewer's option to log in at your "Previous Location". 

Whenever you are dealing with a weak or unstable connection, strategies like this or the ones that Lindal suggested can make life easier.

On 10/4/2019 at 11:21 AM, idaandersen04 said:

Lindal, I got in! Instead of setting the spawn place to My lest location, I typed in London City, and it worked! The problem is that I can't really do anything right now? I'm pretty sure that the problem isn't my internet, so it must be my computer. I have heard that you can make your game faster by 'devoting' some of your gigabytes to an app. Is that true?

What do you mean you "... can't really do anything right now" ? RL has you busy or once logged in the avatar isn't responding to keypresses? 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.