What Happened to Vintage Clothes and Hair?

KathyGables

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I SO love this board and all of you that contribute. I ALWAYS find the answer to my issues.

Here is my latest issue...

In the past there use to be a few stores that specialized in vintage clothes and hair (40's and especially 50's). I can't find a single one now. Does any know of some they can point me to?

I'm still at work, so I can't look though my inventory at the moment for suggestions of specific stores. But a simple search of the marketplace using the word " vintage " or " retro " turns up a lot of options for hair and clothing.

I was disappointed to see that all the vintage stores I shopped at had disappeared when I returned to SL. Especially Ivalde, I must have bought everything in that shop. The only one I found that is still about is Ingenue. They only sell vintage shoes though now http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Lo Lo/185/48/22

I shop on the marketplace for vintage style clothing or just spot the odd outfit while out and about. This skirt suit is available at Fameshed at the moment. The Annex has a few vintage outfits http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Paper Dinosaurs/147/128/21 and I spotted the last dress today, it is only 99L http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hutter/82/185/21

imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-OxvupGSdMZ4SJ3tb.jpg

imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-XbIEwL8vWzh.jpg

imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-fehpigSNzmv99sM.jpg

• Like 3

For hair, Truth has the Lady hair which is a lovely 1950s style. enVogue has a few great options (including a nice 1940s style), and Vanity Hair has 50s and 60s stuff. Eclectica has shoes and accessories from all different time periods. There's tons of great stuff out there but very few stores devoting themselves solely to clothes from specific eras.

Vintage Fair is course well and truly over but here is the shopping guide from that event, most of the items should be in those creators' stores now.

https://palegirlproductions.com/vintage-fair-2019-shopping-guide/

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Layla Claven said:

I was disappointed to see that all the vintage stores I shopped at had disappeared when I returned to SL. Especially Ivalde, I must have bought everything in that shop. The only one I found that is still about is Ingenue. They only sell vintage shoes though now http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Lo Lo/185/48/22

I shop on the marketplace for vintage style clothing or just spot the odd outfit while out and about. This skirt suit is available at Fameshed at the moment. The Annex has a few vintage outfits http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Paper Dinosaurs/147/128/21 and I spotted the last dress today, it is only 99L http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hutter/82/185/21

imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-OxvupGSdMZ4SJ3tb.jpg

That first outfit is perfect.You will see a picture of my Mom in the outfit I am going for in my next post and you will be able to see what a good fit that is. I wonder if it is stil available.

This is my Mom and Dad, These are the two I am seeking vintage clothes for (late 1940's, early 1050's) The first one was taken on their wedding day (justice of the peace). It has the film border because everone used to say that they looked like movie stars at that age. 

momdadweddingday.png

Mom_sanfranciso.png

Edited by KathyGables
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, MrsSeren said:

Dead Dollz, Belle Epoque, Miss Chelsea, Decoy and Jeune by Rowne have similar mesh body size dresses of that style from when there was 40s Rewind event a while back. I hope that helps you! :) 

Thanks. I'll be taking a look. Shopping is such hard work. 🤤

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KathyGables said:

This is my Mom and Dad, These are the two I am seeking vintage clothes for (late 1940's, early 1050's) The first one was taken on their wedding day (justice of the peace). It has the film border because everone used to say that they looked like movie stars at that age. 

momdadweddingday.png

Mom_sanfranciso.png

Your Mom is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely photo's @KathyGables

The skirt suit is still for sale at Fameshed. After seeing the 2nd photograph, I can see why you would like it. I must admit it is the best I've seen in for a long time

(I don't know which body you use in SL but if you go to check out the skirt suit, pick up the demo to try it out. It isn't made for the body I use but I can make it fit using my body hud )

Edited by Layla Claven
additional info
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 11:14 AM, KathyGables said:

I SO love this board and all of you that contribute. I ALWAYS find the answer to my issues.

Here is my latest issue...

In the past there use to be a few stores that specialized in vintage clothes and hair (40's and especially 50's). I can't find a single one now. Does any know of some they can point me to?

SL fashion seems to largely revolve around 2 brands, and a lot of people riding their coat-tails. Blueberry and Addams - and then everyone else (if there is someone else of that stature, I've been an SL nudist for a few years so... I'm not as tuned into this).

- That's what happened to everything. Not just vintage clothing.Everything else is a niche. Some of the niches are big enough to have fairs for their stuff, but some have gone into obscure corners.

As a Neko, SL used to be all about Nekos. I had constant "purist nekos" (most of whom haven't logged in since 2009) on me all the time for not being grunge enough, not having a fluffy tail, not having spiked belts in my tail or piercings in my ears, and so on and so forth. There was a theme - and it dominated ALL of SL.

And then some other fad came along.

I'm still here, still a neko, and now if I want Neko parts I search the obscure corners of marketplace for them and visit shops that look abandoned by someone who forgot they were paying a premium subscripption still... Places that used to ban furries now include "those freaks that wear cat tails, whatever they think they are supposed to be" not even knowing that SL = Neko used to be the default... not even knowing what a 'neko' is... :P

Fads change.

Those of clinging to something no longer 'in' get left behind.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

On 10/5/2019 at 12:51 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

SL fashion seems to largely revolve around 2 brands, and a lot of people riding their coat-tails. Blueberry and Addams - and then everyone else (if there is someone else of that stature, I've been an SL nudist for a few years so... I'm not as tuned into this).

- That's what happened to everything. Not just vintage clothing.Everything else is a niche. Some of the niches are big enough to have fairs for their stuff, but some have gone into obscure corners.

As a Neko, SL used to be all about Nekos. I had constant "purist nekos" (most of whom haven't logged in since 2009) on me all the time for not being grunge enough, not having a fluffy tail, not having spiked belts in my tail or piercings in my ears, and so on and so forth. There was a theme - and it dominated ALL of SL.

And then some other fad came along.

I'm still here, still a neko, and now if I want Neko parts I search the obscure corners of marketplace for them and visit shops that look abandoned by someone who forgot they were paying a premium subscripption still... Places that used to ban furries now include "those freaks that wear cat tails, whatever they think they are supposed to be" not even knowing that SL = Neko used to be the default... not even knowing what a 'neko' is... :P

Fads change.

Those of clinging to something no longer 'in' get left behind.

All the neko stuff sounds very familiar.  Other than some historical role play, I've been neko almost since I joined SL over 12 years ago.  You're right, back then neko was almost the default female avatar.  We were everywhere.  There were some male nekos back then but I haven't seen one of those in years.  I guess I'm left behind too but neko is who I am in SL not a fashion accessory.

4 hours ago, Amanda Dallin said:

There were some male nekos back then but I haven't seen one of those in years.  I guess I'm left behind too but neko is who I am in SL not a fashion accessory.

I was neko for years and years; pretty much permanently from 2008 to 2017 when I went mesh and started experimenting with a wider variety of looks. Never the grungy sort with the fluffy tail (hey, I'm a cat not a horse! 😡). I still see other male nekos at certain gay clubs, particularly those where twinks gather, like Dust. Then again that was always the main demographic for male nekos and most of them have way old accounts that have probably been neko for as long as I have.

Now that Bakes on Mesh will allow me to tint my body stripes, which Maitreya couldn't do, I will be dusting off my ears and tail again.  I still wear my Jungle Voodoo tail when I'm dancing, because the fancy Bento one stops animating when I dance. 

Speaking of Bakes on Mesh, and going back to the original topic, y'all will be able to wear your vintage frocks from Ivalde and Ingenue again, with Bakes on Mesh.

Edited by Matty Luminos

On 10/4/2019 at 7:02 PM, Layla Claven said:

Your Mom is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely photo's @KathyGables

The skirt suit is still for sale at Fameshed. After seeing the 2nd photograph, I can see why you would like it. I must admit it is the best I've seen in for a long time

(I don't know which body you use in SL but if you go to check out the skirt suit, pick up the demo to try it out. It isn't made for the body I use but I can make it fit using my body hud )

Thanks Layla. I went over and bought the dress the same day you posted. In-between RL work I have been working on both Mom and Dad's avatars. Trying to find a match for Mom's hair has been tough.  

As noted in the picture of the two of them earlier in this topic, they were married by a Justice of the peace. In a few weeks I plan to get have a a Justice of the peace wedding for them. Since they have no SL community of friends yet I want to invite all of you here on the SL Forums (Your Avatar sub-forum) to the wedding. No big deal. Mom and Dad will wear something similar to their picture. I will announce the time and date here when the time comes. I am open to suggestions for a cool County Office in SL to hold the ceremony. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. 

Edited by KathyGables
  • Like 1

@KathyGables This looks like the best place to pick up vintage style hair https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/93753?search[category_id]=5&search[maturity]=General&search  I can't find them to purchase in world though. A lot of the vintage styles I spotted today were either of the 1930's era instead of 40's or too long like these I found in the discount section in Truth.

=1&search[per_page]=12&search[store_id]=93753

I did find a place that has vintage men's clothes while I was wandering about today. They may be useful for your Dad's avatar and I think all the items are free. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Time Portal/242/130/1930

Snapshot_008.png

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.