Noise from nearby homes

Kiraa Dirval

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1627 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you go in to "About Land" on your parcel,  then go to the Sound tab, click on "Restrict Gesture and Object sounds to this parcel". This should keep your sounds on your parcel, but also block sounds from others parcels being heard from yours.

Make sure you restrict voice as well. Can't tell you how many.. interesting conversations i've heard from people while wandering, haha.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

If they were my neighbor, I'd also probably drop them a very polite notecard suggesting they restrict their sounds. They may not even be aware they're doing it.

I have all sounds turned off all the time. I would appreciate this, some creators have sound on by default.

I turn off what I can find, but I am sure I miss some things.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

If they were my neighbor, I'd also probably drop them a very polite notecard suggesting they restrict their sounds. They may not even be aware they're doing it.

This. I keep my speakers off all the time, so am not aware something is making noise unless it's obviously something that *would*, or someone mentions it to me. I do keep my sounds restricted to parcel so it's not a bother to neighbors, but sometimes my visitors mention some ruckus I'm not aware of. (Darned chickens lol)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sound orbs to me are the icing on the cake of my parcels.

Off course I click restricted to ... at ONCE ... and then I set them out.

Bird- and nature- sounds and (whenever the sea is in sight) waves and gulls!

When the sea is farther away the waves and gulls -orb has to go up in the sky to make is less loud.

But I just LOVE those sounds! (Never would keep my speakers off!) They give me this immersive "at home" feeling!

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Like 5

When I first moved in to one of my houses, I kept hearing bird noises. Camming around I noticed they were clear across the river, but from my property they were faint and rather nice. Now it was clearly a parcel without their sound restricted, and I felt bad for their neighbors, but I loved hearing that low ambient sound. I have no idea if it's there any longer though as I have my parcel sound restricted thanks to my own bird noises, crickets, cicadas.. we need a sound volume on these things.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Littlemouse Topaz said:

i guess this would also block out the annoying dog that is always barking from who knows where.  however, i do like the sounds of birds and such, would it block out these sounds too?

You can install any soundorb of your choice ... and restrict to your parcel. I have this - and this ...  .... and love the sounds!

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 4:27 AM, s2Pandora said:

When I first moved in to one of my houses, I kept hearing bird noises. Camming around I noticed they were clear across the river, but from my property they were faint and rather nice. Now it was clearly a parcel without their sound restricted, and I felt bad for their neighbors, but I loved hearing that low ambient sound. I have no idea if it's there any longer though as I have my parcel sound restricted thanks to my own bird noises, crickets, cicadas.. we need a sound volume on these things.

The moles (usually @Garden Mole , I think) have scattered around some lovely blackbird sounds, lapping waves, etc.  Turn on 'show invisible' and you can see the cubes up in the sky or below the water.  I haven't noticed any of those awful owls or overused robins from the early days of SL.   I wish there were a Belli MoleMart with some of them, so that we could add a little sound (my trailer is on a little island without any, I think) to our parcels, without adding to all the different stuff our clients have to load.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 4

On 10/3/2019 at 12:27 PM, s2Pandora said:

Sound functions in SL do have a volume control, but a lot of creators set it to the max and don't offer a way to change it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

The moles (usually @Garden Mole , I think) have scattered around some lovely blackbird sounds, lapping waves, etc.  Turn on 'show invisible' and you can see the cubes up in the sky or below the water.  I haven't noticed any of those awful owls or overused robins from the early days of SL.   I wish there were a Belli MoleMart with some of them, so that we could add a little sound (my trailer is on a little island without any, I think) to our parcels, without adding to all the different stuff our clients have to load.

I had noticed they have sounds out in the campers areas, and it is really nice. Kind of wish they had some in the traditionals area. If they put some in the newer areas, I still haven't heard any.

6 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

Sound functions in SL do have a volume control, but a lot of creators set it to the max and don't offer a way to change it.

Well I know about one's personal sound sliders. I do tweak them often, but I mean volume controls for a given sound orb so as to make it quieter for an ambient noise if you want your neighbors to hear it as well. I have come across houses in my wandering that didn't have sound restricted, and had nice sounds, but they were pretty loud.

Edited by s2Pandora
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, s2Pandora said:

Well I know about one's personal sound sliders. I do tweak them often, but I mean volume controls for a given sound orb so as to make it quieter for an ambient noise if you want your neighbors to hear it as well. I have come across houses in my wandering that didn't have sound restricted, and had nice sounds, but they were pretty loud.

I don't mean the volume controls in your client. I'm talking about the volume control in the sound functions in the scripts. This is something that's set in the script when the sound starts to play. Quiet means it doesn't travel very far. Loud will travel across the whole sim. A good sound item will either have menu options letting you change the volume or will let you edit the script to change it. Items also really shouldn't default to the maximum in most cases. But some creators are better about this than others.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First thing on a new parcel usually I check in the landmenue "Sounds restricted to parcel" ... but yesterday at the shore in Blackwater to my pleasant surprise I found that the Moles seem to have installed  exactly the sounds I would in other cases add ... waves , gulls PLUS gardenbirds!! Welldone! :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

First thing on a new parcel usually I check in the landmenue "Sounds restricted to parcel" ... but yesterday at the shore in Blackwater to my pleasant surprise I found that the Moles seem to have installed  exactly the sounds I would in other cases add ... waves , gulls PLUS gardenbirds!! Welldone! :)

Let us hope you don't get a barking dog next door!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1627 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.