Is it possible to see pictures or GIF's in Groups?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

No.  Chat is text only.

Ah, was just curious because i knew second life didn't do Emoji's either for their chat system. Was curious for pictures if there was a way to switch that on.

Edited by Haselden

It's odd how very old-fashioned and conservative SL sometimes seems.

I agree entirely that the very last thing that I want to see is my notices or chat window filled with garish memes, animated emojis, and gifs. I don't even want to see "previews" of web links.

But the whole communication infrastructure in SL seems so very 2005. Our chat windows, notices, and note cards are so enormously primitive, with a plain text look that seems like they hearken back to old BBS software. Hell, even these forums seem quaintly antiquated.

It's a bit like Web 2.0 never happened.

I wonder if a generation of younger people brought up with social media and powerful mobile devices just look at what we have here, and wonder if they've wandered into a digital museum.

18 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's odd how very old-fashioned and conservative SL sometimes seems.

I agree entirely that the very last thing that I want to see is my notices or chat window filled with garish memes, animated emojis, and gifs. I don't even want to see "previews" of web links.

But the whole communication infrastructure in SL seems so very 2005. Our chat windows, notices, and note cards are so enormously primitive, with a plain text look that seems like they hearken back to old BBS software. Hell, even these forums seem quaintly antiquated.

It's a bit like Web 2.0 never happened.

I wonder if a generation of younger people brought up with social media and powerful mobile devices just look at what we have here, and wonder if they've wandered into a digital museum.

I know, Discord premium is making a lot of money with custom Emoji's. I'm surprised second life hasn't worked out something like that for their "premium" accounts.  Groups could also work in a very similar way when thinking about it for special Emoji's as well that you can use in any chat.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I actually prefer the old school text, etc.  It's bad enough when some websites are made unusable unless you're on a mobile device.

Some websites even are unusable on a mobile device. Yesterday, I wanted to look for furniture (for my RL apartment) and found that the website of one shop (a major brand even!) was a mess on all browsers except IE (which I could run using WINE). 😡

Edited by ThorinII
  • Like 2

Not on group chat. However you can attach  an image (not a gif though) to a group notice.

Users will still have to click it to see it.

If this is a significant feature that your gruop needs  you may want to consider setting up a discord group and inviting your members to that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Haselden said:

I know, Discord premium is making a lot of money with custom Emoji's. I'm surprised second life hasn't worked out something like that for their "premium" accounts.  Groups could also work in a very similar way when thinking about it for special Emoji's as well that you can use in any chat.

What do you think would be the advantage of this? That it might make LL some money?

If LL expended the time and effort to turn in-world communications into something that looked and functioned more like modern social media (think Instagram, Discord, Whatsapp, and the like, rather than FB, which is kind of passé), would it attract newer, younger users? Or merely alienate oldsters?

The photo sharing mechanisms of social media sites are, I think, intended to bridge geographical and temporal gaps between users. There is no temporal gap in group chat and geographical gaps are easily addressed. If I'm setting fire to someone's home and want a chat group to see my handiwork, I'm not going to paste an image into the chat window, I'm going to paste a landmark.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I actually prefer the old school text, etc.  It's bad enough when some websites are made unusable unless you're on a mobile device.

Text is still where it's at. Chat lag is bad enough as it is. I don't need another memory strain for my CPU to worry about.

If you want to convey a mood with a meme, you could simply type "name_of_meme.jpg".  It sufficiently gets the point across, I think.

2 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

Not on group chat. However you can attach  an image (not a gif though) to a group notice.

Users will still have to click it to see it.

If this is a significant feature that your gruop needs  you may want to consider setting up a discord group and inviting your members to that.

ain't_nobody_got_time_for_that.jpg

• Haha 1

On 10/2/2019 at 11:19 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

If LL expended the time and effort to turn in-world communications into something that looked and functioned more like modern social media (think Instagram, Discord, Whatsapp, and the like, rather than FB, which is kind of passé), would it attract newer, younger users? Or merely alienate oldsters?

The whining, sobbing, kvetching, and crying about web profiles with the Facebook-like social media feed (which were super cool, but no one used) probably made them gun-shy. 

20 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

The whining, sobbing, kvetching, and crying about web profiles with the Facebook-like social media feed (which were super cool, but no one used) probably made them gun-shy. 

Most companies are pretty gun shy about expanding upon features their customers almost never use. Business 101.

. . .my point makes itself.

Not really.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/3/2019 at 12:42 PM, Blaise Glendevon said:

I think all of that came from it being a sucky, useless feature. It never worked like it was supposed to.

13 hours ago, janetosilio said:

I think all of that came from it being a sucky, useless feature. It never worked like it was supposed to.

Well because of phishing links that want your credit card information or F you over. Gave rise to this idea PREVIEW link with image, BEFORE clicking. That way you're safe from harm. However, it's now manifested also into memes.

However, with all the scammers in Second life it would make sense to have preview link in general do so less likely getting cucked. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.