Using Spec maps on clothing items.

Red Godde

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been dabbling with making some mesh clothing. I am having problems getting spec maps to look 'right' on fabrics. I want some subtle specularity on a fabric like denim for example, it always looks ok after a while in one windlight but then then in another windlight it looks terrible. Can anyone offer advice on how to achieve subtle spec on non shiny fabrics... please!!

8 minutes ago, Red Godde said:

it always looks ok after a while in one windlight but then then in another windlight it looks terrible. Can anyone offer advice on how to achieve subtle spec on non shiny fabrics... please!!

I hear you loud and clear, I run into the same issue when texturing mesh clothing..  the fact is that every possible lighting difference will make the material look different, that includes viewer i.e. windlight, and lighting added to various clubs and other buildings etc..  The only way I have found to combat this due to the endless different lighting situations possible, is when in doubt, use a near to black specular texture,  I know that won't accomplish what I really want but it is better than having someone try a demo in a highly lighted place and not buy the item because of the glare coming off it from the combination of bad lighting and the specular map.  I really wish there was a solution to this, but as long as there are so many options that affect lighting I don't think it is possible.

• Like 1

@Red Goddefor a dull almost non shiny fabric you will need a very dark spec map with very very little highlights and even those should look dark, only a tad lighter than the rest. then you adjust the value of glossiness and lower it . this number will also depend a bit on how dark the spec map already is. by default it's set to 51 and you will most likely not need higher than 30. when you apply the spec map, try a few wind lights and see if the value needs to be adjusted. you can also adjust the colour of highlight in edit mode, default is white and if you would like it darker, set a grey tone and try how dark you want it to be, or even a lightly tinted grey, for denim you could use a bluish grey to achieve a nicer look

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.