Firestorm Now Supports BOM

LucyHerne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1656 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

For those of us trying to triangulate the approximate length of Soon™, this instance took five weeks. 🤖

I decided it meant: "we're working on it, every time we have to answer the questing 'When will it be ready?' we stop for a week, then start work again."  This is the approach I always took with Marketing and Management when I was a programmer.   So 5 weeks is quite good!

Edited by anna2358
  • Haha 1

Hey guys! I'm pretty sure that this already has been answered elsewhere, but I haven't found a specific topic, nor do I have the time to scroll through hundreds of pages. 🙈
Do I actually NEED to wear some of my old and ugly system skins to make this whole BOM thing work properly on my body? And do people actually SEE said skin? I really don't want to look like I fell right out of 2010. 😂 Or does the system layer clothing also show up on my "mesh body skin"? I'm so confused with all of this really... :S

2 minutes ago, Chuckey Jigsaw said:

Hey guys! I'm pretty sure that this already has been answered elsewhere, but I haven't found a specific topic, nor do I have the time to scroll through hundreds of pages. 🙈
Do I actually NEED to wear some of my old and ugly system skins to make this whole BOM thing work properly on my body? And do people actually SEE said skin? I really don't want to look like I fell right out of 2010. 😂 Or does the system layer clothing also show up on my "mesh body skin"? I'm so confused with all of this really... :S

You do need to wear system skins on BoM bodies, but they don't have to be old! They can be new and just as pretty as any applier skin!

Others will also see that skin, and any system clothing you choose to wear. But you don't have to wear any system clothing, only a skin. If you want to have a skin, that is!

17 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

You do need to wear system skins on BoM bodies, but they don't have to be old! They can be new and just as pretty as any applier skin!

Others will also see that skin, and any system clothing you choose to wear. But you don't have to wear any system clothing, only a skin. If you want to have a skin, that is!

Okay, so I have to wear a system skin. Any applier skin won't work. I can't keep wearing the pre-installed Maitreya mesh body one, because system- & BOM layers won't show up on that one. Did I get that right?
Gawd, I swear this is so confusing. Sorry if I might sound like a dork. 🙈

12 minutes ago, Chuckey Jigsaw said:

Okay, so I have to wear a system skin. Any applier skin won't work. I can't keep wearing the pre-installed Maitreya mesh body one, because system- & BOM layers won't show up on that one. Did I get that right?
Gawd, I swear this is so confusing. Sorry if I might sound like a dork. 🙈

You can't, unless you're using the Maitreya that hasn't been BoM-enabled yet (i.e. you've not used the relay that they sent out!)

It's less confusing than it seems! For a BoM body, you have to wear a system skin (a skin item in your inventory). Almost certainly when Maitreya does a proper update, they'll release system versions of the formerly pre-installed skins.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

You can't, unless you're using the Maitreya that hasn't been BoM-enabled yet (i.e. you've not used the relay that they sent out!)

It's less confusing than it seems! For a BoM body, you have to wear a system skin (a skin item in your inventory). Almost certainly when Maitreya does a proper update, they'll release system versions of the formerly pre-installed skins.

Alright! Think I got it now. 😅 I'm looking forward to the Maitreya update then. Thanks so much for the help and info. 🙏

Here's my take on the new Bakes on Feature support in Firestorm:

https://ryanschultz.com/2019/10/02/the-firestorm-second-life-viewer-now-supports-bakes-on-mesh/

And another update I posted yesterday, about BoM for Maitreya and Altamura mesh bodies:

https://ryanschultz.com/2019/10/03/second-life-bakes-on-mesh-truly-a-second-life-for-your-system-avatar-skins-and-clothing/

I am very happy with how well Bakes on Mesh works. In the second blogpost I tell you about a free set of finger and foot fixes for older system avatar skins available from League.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2019 at 1:04 PM, Chuckey Jigsaw said:

You NEED a system skin and yes people will see it, if they have updated their viewer. System clothing layers will also show but they are optional; you can still wear your mesh clothes instead. Bakes on Mesh totally replaces your previous applier skin.

Not all system skins are old and ugly though. And even the system skins from the Linden starter avatars work too, I tried a bunch of those this weekend and some of them actually look really nice.

Bakes on Mesh is seriously my favourite thing that Linden Lab ever did; I adore my old system skin (it still looks top quality even after all these years). And more skin makers will start adding system layer skins with their new ones now. Some already do; check this thread for details; 

• Like 3

On 10/4/2019 at 3:13 PM, Vanity Fair said:

Here's my take on the new Bakes on Feature support in Firestorm:

https://ryanschultz.com/2019/10/02/the-firestorm-second-life-viewer-now-supports-bakes-on-mesh/

And another update I posted yesterday, about BoM for Maitreya and Altamura mesh bodies:

https://ryanschultz.com/2019/10/03/second-life-bakes-on-mesh-truly-a-second-life-for-your-system-avatar-skins-and-clothing/

I am very happy with how well Bakes on Mesh works. In the second blogpost I tell you about a free set of finger and foot fixes for older system avatar skins available from League.

That second link, and League's Foot'n'Finger fixers are true godsend for those waiting patiently for skins that work with BoM.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1656 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.