Best place to meet the younger crowd?

EllieFay

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I mean absolutely no offense in this post, by the way! 😓 I'm very much down to befriend anyone of any age! I just feel it may be easier to start with people around my own age for the time being.

I'm 24 and have been on SL on and off for 3 years and only ever met 1 girl close to my age who I bonded with for a short time (before both of us just kinda vanished). I really want to be more active in-world and make friends, but I'm very anxious both in and out of SL and still don't fully know the in's and out's. I was thinking maybe meeting people my age (or in the range) would help a bit to start me off opening up to all of you lovely folk~! 

Where do you think the best place in-world or group wise would be to meet the 20-30 crowd?

EDIT: Also! I'd like to quickly mention I simply haven't made any friends as I have been on SL as a form of escape/alone time this whole time..so I just never cared to try to meet anyone and just kept to myself. I'd like to try to change this though. 😊

Edited by EllieFay
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

FMD club is where I`ve met mostly younger crowd...however, you need to pay a one time group fee to have access.. there are always ppl there with updated good looking avatars, events are on regular basis (parties, dating auctions etc)...Teqis is not bad either (again a one time fee), but from what I see, ppl are a bit older there, 30-40 mostly..

Both places have open access days from time to time so you can check if you like it there or not before paying anything...

Oh yes Elysion seems popular too, but I`ve only been once or twice for super short and with friends, so I can`t say for sure what ppl are like there...

I don`t socialize much, so that`s all I`ve got atm...good luck:)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JJack Montreal said:

You sooooo unlucky....

Try any other game and i bet you`ll find what you looking for. Second life is more a retirement home for oldies than anything else...

Sometimes i really whish i would be able to switch to the point of view of other persons... well, nevermind.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:
7 hours ago, JJack Montreal said:

You sooooo unlucky....

Try any other game and i bet you`ll find what you looking for. Second life is more a retirement home for oldies than anything else...

Sometimes i really whish i would be able to switch to the point of view of other persons... well, nevermind.

But if they are right, maybe as each new generation becomes “oldies” they will also join Second Life, keeping it going in perpetuity. Win!

• Like 1

This is something I have struggled with too and I have pinned part of it to the unreliable destination guide. Also, there are so many different things to do with people scattered all over the grid doing their own thing that it's really hard to find any group like minded people in one place at one time to really get things going. Sure, there's clubs but generally speaking it's a lot of people standing around or dancing and spamming gestures and not much chat going on but in IMs. Searching for a hangout place you come across some unmentionable keywords and they get skipped. I've slowly been going to more and more places giving them a try but still not really found a place I can feel comfortable.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2019 at 2:40 PM, EllieFay said:

I mean absolutely no offense in this post, by the way! 😓 I'm very much down to befriend anyone of any age! I just feel it may be easier to start with people around my own age for the time being.

I'm 24 and have been on SL on and off for 3 years and only ever met 1 girl close to my age who I bonded with for a short time (before both of us just kinda vanished). I really want to be more active in-world and make friends, but I'm very anxious both in and out of SL and still don't fully know the in's and out's. I was thinking maybe meeting people my age (or in the range) would help a bit to start me off opening up to all of you lovely folk~! 

Where do you think the best place in-world or group wise would be to meet the 20-30 crowd?

EDIT: Also! I'd like to quickly mention I simply haven't made any friends as I have been on SL as a form of escape/alone time this whole time..so I just never cared to try to meet anyone and just kept to myself. I'd like to try to change this though. 😊

IF you don't want to take it RL, then I don't see why it matters.

I danced with a man who was 75.  He asked me if I minded he was 75?  Of course I didn't mind, I thought he was a wonderful person.

But, if you are looking for a dating and/or peer friend thing...at 24...maybe find a RL person to ask to go onto SL with you?

edit:  And maybe through a club that plays your generation's type of music perhaps.  

Edited by FairreLilette

2 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

IF you don't want to take it RL, then I don't see why it matters.

I danced with a man who was 75.  He asked me if I minded he was 75?  Of course I didn't mind, I thought he was a wonderful person.

But, if you are looking for a dating and/or peer friend thing...at 24...maybe find a RL person to ask to go onto SL with you?

edit:  And maybe through a club that plays your generation's type of music perhaps.  

It's just to start off. 😊 I'm totally okay with meeting those who are whatever age, I just feel to begin opening up to people it would be a bit easier if it's with those around my age range so I have more things to relate to to ease me out of quietly sitting in a corner. I'm a very reserved and socially anxious person in general so it's hard to go just dive in and even just reply to messages I get sometimes.

I've actually been going to a club the past 2 nights with girls around my age and still find it hard to find the guts to talk. lol I'd love to befriend anyone as it goes on though!

As for bringing my own friends in...I've tried with one but she just isn't down and the others are the type who sadly think badly of SL for no reason so I keep my SL life to myself and away from them. 🙁

• Sad 1

Pretty much any non-SL game and most newer online communities.

I've been running into this issue as well, I'm 24 myself and SL is pretty much filled with people around retirement age and older.  Sure for pixel bumping and dancing and stuff it's not really an issue, but once you start having conversations with people or reading their profiles you can pretty much pin their age group immediately. 

It is kind of funny to see the silly stuff in older users' profiles.  Of course it must have a hieroglyph name, and their profile is a mess of really suspicious claims like the "no drama" and "I use SL to escape my RL trust me I'm a real woman" kinds.  Oh, you dedicated 80% of your profile to your irrational hatred of drama?  Sure, I believe you're a calm and collected person.  You seem healthy.

Lately most people I've come across have either been extremely thirsty, anti-social, or Europeans who think they can speak English but really can't.  If I could give you the names of sims with healthy, well-adjusted 24 year old English speakers I would, and I would go there myself, but SL has earned its reputation as a memeworthy anti-social hotspot for very good reasons.

Honestly, I recommend not bothering with SL to find people of our age.  Go on Discord and find 18+ chat rooms, that will keep the discussions mainly in the 18-25 range meaning Gen Z and Millenials chatting together with the odd Gen Xer making references nobody else gets.  Discord is a text/voice/video client originally marketed for gamers to find each other, but servers have themes for all kinds of discussions.  People there are of course sometimes the antisocial type, since that's the type that often comes with chat rooms.  But to be honest, SL has been the most toxic chat room I've ever witnessed, its 3D engine and creations I could find in no other game being the only reasons I actually stay.

6 hours ago, Ryaeiin said:

Pretty much any non-SL game and most newer online communities.

I've been running into this issue as well, I'm 24 myself and SL is pretty much filled with people around retirement age and older.  Sure for pixel bumping and dancing and stuff it's not really an issue, but once you start having conversations with people or reading their profiles you can pretty much pin their age group immediately. 

It is kind of funny to see the silly stuff in older users' profiles.  Of course it must have a hieroglyph name, and their profile is a mess of really suspicious claims like the "no drama" and "I use SL to escape my RL trust me I'm a real woman" kinds.  Oh, you dedicated 80% of your profile to your irrational hatred of drama?  Sure, I believe you're a calm and collected person.  You seem healthy.

Lately most people I've come across have either been extremely thirsty, anti-social, or Europeans who think they can speak English but really can't.  If I could give you the names of sims with healthy, well-adjusted 24 year old English speakers I would, and I would go there myself, but SL has earned its reputation as a memeworthy anti-social hotspot for very good reasons.

Honestly, I recommend not bothering with SL to find people of our age.  Go on Discord and find 18+ chat rooms, that will keep the discussions mainly in the 18-25 range meaning Gen Z and Millenials chatting together with the odd Gen Xer making references nobody else gets.  Discord is a text/voice/video client originally marketed for gamers to find each other, but servers have themes for all kinds of discussions.  People there are of course sometimes the antisocial type, since that's the type that often comes with chat rooms.  But to be honest, SL has been the most toxic chat room I've ever witnessed, its 3D engine and creations I could find in no other game being the only reasons I actually stay.

Some of this sounds like "hate speech" I'm sorry to say.

Plus, I don't even think you know the meaning of the word anti-social.  Anti-social people are usually serial killers and very psychotic people.

The people in SL are not very psychotic people.

• Like 1

Considering i am dealing with this also, being younger (19 going on 20) and being on SL trying to find people close to my age...I completely understand. 

If you want to HMU in an IM in-game/in-world...feel free. I wouldn't mind to have a friend! :)

My name is GillianXRCR - if you wanna do so. 

• Like 3

I guess we are too much...

I was looking too much to find same-age peers, But I'll tell you what!!

I have already older friends and they are thoughtful and of the same mentality,

In brief, the age doesn't matter too much, it is just numbers..

Just look for those who share the same interest...

Have fun.. Namaste 😉

• Like 4

I'm not sure where to meet people around our age (I'm 22 & mostly on discord while gaming) but I do come on to shop, chat, decorate... I'm going to try going to clubs and stuff to meet people, I never do that for some reason!! Feel free to message me! (anyone/any age) see ya all around! ❤️

• Like 2

Some harsh truths up in here.

I think SL does skew towards boomers and Gen X’ers.  

That doesn’t mean at least there aren’t millennials are here. I’m a millennial and I’ve been here since I was 20. I’m not sure about gen-z or centennials...or whatever they’re calling the next generation.

I have run across people that were younger than me (30). I couldnt pinpoint where, because during the course of a conversation it just came up, probably they just seemed younger.

Your best bet is to just continue to meet and talk to people. You’ll find people your age, but you have to talk to them to find all of that out.

5 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

Honestly I think the best places to find younger people (under 30) is the furry and anime groups. They definitely skew younger than the rest of SL.

I don't know anything about those groups but I wanted to expand on this idea that maybe you need to join a group.  A group where you see the same avi's often.

Joining a group with whatever interest you have is probably the best way to make a friendship because you both go there often.   However, that doesn't necessarily mean the people in the group are in your age bracket.  But, you will have some friends with the same interest and it's a start.

I would think with most clubs there are different avi's most of the time.  The staff you see regularly.

I'd propose someone in SL make a club with this particular to today's music in mind though.  It's a good idea for those in the 20ish range.  

I love all kinds of music except today's.  lol  Don't beat on me for that.  I have given it enough tries.  I'd rather listen to Classical music than today's music.  I'm not much into chick singers either for the most part.  I prefer a male voice and those who play real instruments.  The last "modern" music I liked was The Black Keys and all of Jack White's bands and Jet.  

Edited by FairreLilette

I'm 28 and have the same problem. My suggestion is to look at discord servers and SL groups. This is where younger players tend to accumulate -- they more often frolic by themselves, and don't participate in the same sort of club-hopping, family circles that the older residents lean towards.

A lot of the furry and kawaii/lolita crowd are younger people -- for example -- the people in the Genus chatroom, and Okaie eye's chatroom, are all around my age or younger (having profile pics to match). If you're looking for a social circle that uses familiar pop culture references and other tumblr, twitter, and redditisms those are the places to go. There's a site called Disboard and you should be able to find Discords related to SL there.

In-World my only other suggestions would be FS Social Club or The Void -- but it can be bit of a waiting game as people aren't there frequently, and Social is mainly a hub for new users to learn.

Discord has allowed me to chat and meet up in SL with a lot of people who I'm personally more comfortable with. 

Edited by KirinGale

Probably the furry community.

Many people in that community came out of the old Teen-SL.

The rumor mill was that at least one of the long time main furry avatar makers was for years a child pretending to be an adult to sneak into SL, and revealed that fact after turning 18...

Everytime I've been in furry circles, it's all take of video games and anime... which implies a little bit younger.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.