Differences between the old and new linden home areas

Elinah Iredell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

22 minutes ago, Elinah Iredell said:

Is it possible they could spruce up the older areas to make them nicer neighborhoods and do away with ban lines, as they have in Bellissaria? And perhaps offer the option to replace an older home with a newer updated one? 

The announced plan is to delete the older homes in the future. The last "date" was "around the beginning of the year (2020) but that was before Belli was discovered to be more popular than they perceived.  We are still waiting to see what effect the "super duper premium" will have on the Linden Homes, and of course there was a raise in membership fees which had some folks going back to basic and others planning to. So right now it is difficult to say how the "plan" will turn out or possibly change.  I haven't seen any mention of redoing the old homes though.   

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Waiomao said:

I love the Japanese style homes in Shareta Osumai and opted for one there today. I like it a lot, but will say that the neighborhood feels post-apocalyptic. Where are all the humans? In some ways that's wonderful, but it does feel cold.

Is this in an older linden homes area? 

Edited by Elinah Iredell
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

The announced plan is to delete the older homes in the future. The last "date" was "around the beginning of the year (2020) but that was before Belli was discovered to be more popular than they perceived.  We are still waiting to see what effect the "super duper premium" will have on the Linden Homes, and of course there was a raise in membership fees which had some folks going back to basic and others planning to. So right now it is difficult to say how the "plan" will turn out or possibly change.  I haven't seen any mention of redoing the old homes though.   

Well since the older areas are already there I just thought fixing them up would be easier then creating something new but not a geek so maybe not. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

A few things to keep in mind if you opt for one of the older homes:

- They WILL be going away  - sometime within the next year or two, roughly.  LL has stated that after there are enough of the newer homes to handle all Premium members, they will start taking down the older home regions and people WILL be forced to leave those homes.

- In order to try to get a newer home on a Premium account, that account CANNOT already have a Linden Home.  Therefore, if you do not have a Premium alt account that you can use to try snagging a new home with, you will either need to remain in the old home until there is enough available for everyone or you will have to simply Abandon your old Linden Home (and be homeless or rent somewhere or crash on your friend's couch) while you try to nab one of the newer ones.

Will there ever be enough newer linden homes for every premium member who wants one? It is virtually impossible to snag a home. I keep reading you need to refresh the page but I have never seen one come up personally. And I really do not like the idea of not being able to choose the plot of land and location you prefer. There needs to be a better way to offer them.then giving them out at random like this . Normally the process of buying land allows you to choose the one you want. 

Edited by Elinah Iredell

54 minutes ago, Teagan Tobias said:

I have two avatars, one lives in Meadowbrook (over 4 years now) and one in Bellisseria. I personally have more lag in Bellisseria than Meadowbrook. But everyone I guess is different.

The houses in Meadowbrook have more open space in them, for me that is critical and why I like Meadowbrook houses better, but Bellisseria is pretty and laid out much better.

I just live in my sky box in Bellisseria, in Meadowbrook I don’t need a sky box.

I think I will check out the older areas and see what they look like. I like open floor plan houses that the older ones have, but the Bellissaria areas are nicely landscaped . 

Edited by Elinah Iredell

10 minutes ago, Elinah Iredell said:

Well since the older areas are already there I just thought fixing them up would be easier then creating something new but not a geek so maybe not. 

There's so much to fix that it's faster to just start fresh. Another issue with the old areas is a bigger picture one... they copied the same area multiple times, rather than make new areas. They also didn't design it to link to the rest of the mainland, so the areas are isolated (even from each other). That's a much bigger thing to fix than doing some local landscaping.

2 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

There's so much to fix that it's faster to just start fresh. Another issue with the old areas is a bigger picture one... they copied the same area multiple times, rather than make new areas. They also didn't design it to link to the rest of the mainland, so the areas are isolated (even from each other). That's a much bigger thing to fix than doing some local landscaping.

Do you have any advice for Linden on how to resolve the linden land issues they are having now? I mean it's one thing to make the new land a little difficult to get to keep up the interest and demand , but another thing to make it virtually impossible like it is now. . It is not a good situation . 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Elinah Iredell said:

Will there ever be enough newer linden homes for every premium member who wants one? 

Yes. LL will continue to make more continents until they have a home available for all premium members. A figure somewhere was quoted of around 38,000 homes needed.

44 minutes ago, Elinah Iredell said:

And I really do not like the idea of not being able to choose the plot of land and location you prefer. There needs to be a better way to offer them.then giving them out at random like this .

Linden homes have always been assigned at random. It's the only fair way, otherwise you'd have many people after the exact same parcel - then how do you determine who has claim to it?

44 minutes ago, Elinah Iredell said:

Normally the process of buying land allows you to choose the one you want. 

You aren't buying land though. You're buying a premium membership, and one of the included benefits (amongst many) of that membership is that you can use your tier on a Linden Home - it's totally different from purchasing land yourself. 

If you want complete freedom of choice, use your free tier to purchase land on the mainland - there's plenty of it around ;) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Elinah Iredell said:

Do you have any advice for Linden on how to resolve the linden land issues they are having now? I mean it's one thing to make the new land a little difficult to get to keep up the interest and demand , but another thing to make it virtually impossible like it is now. . It is not a good situation . 

Most of the people who are continually talking or posting about their attempts to acquire a Bellisseria parcel are people who are playing a fishing game in which the fish are Bellisseria parcels, and the only way of winning is to catch the mythical unicorn parcel. They are "catching" and "releasing" multiple traditional homes, trailers, and houseboats every day (five times per premium account, and quite a few of those people have several premium accounts). 

My advice for LL on how to resolve the current situation is to keep doing exactly what they're doing right now, but to only allow people to catch and release once a month instead of five times a day. I have no proof or technical knowledge of this, but it's my personal belief (and watch the stones come flying at my head now) that these people who are obsessed, playing it as a game, never content, or whatever justification they invent, are making it harder for people like you who haven't had the opportunity to land even a single Bellisseria parcel. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Elinah Iredell said:

I mean it's one thing to make the new land a little difficult to get to keep up the interest and demand , but another thing to make it virtually impossible like it is now.

Some people do find it more difficult than others, but don't get too discouraged. Plots are abandoned during all time zones and you have as much chance as anyone else of getting one of these. The homes which are let go are just as nice as the others. The moles are speeding up but this new continent will take a while to complete.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elinah Iredell said:

They're not purposefully keeping the number of houses low to make a demand. They're making the houses as fast as possible and releasing them when they're ready. It helps to take up mole watching as a hobby, because watching the building makes it clear how the system works.

In theory, they could have kept quiet about new homes and released a big batch in many themes in ten years time, rather than releasing houses as soon as they're ready. The pro of waiting is everyone would get a house at once. The cons are numerous. It means no income from building the houses for years (which could kill the project before it's finished), nobody gets to own one for years so no community building during that time, no feedback from the community on the building (so it'd be harder to know how many houses of each style to make, what sort of landscaping is most popular, and other things like that), no way to judge the final demand (so they might end up making way too many and having empty areas or not enough after all), and generally appearing to be doing nothing for those years (because the community couldn't be told it was happening until it was close to launch). It's not hard to see why they didn't do it that way.

The webpage system does have issues though, like it doesn't reserve a house when someone clicks for one. It only does so when they agree to the terms. This means anyone who actually reads what they're signing won't get a house. Anyone who can click with lightning reflexes will get a house. It's not a sensible system.

On that note, choosing a name for the house should happen after someone does that initial click. So they click, it reserves a house, and they get a reasonable amount of time to write in a name and agree to everything.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

I have no proof or technical knowledge of this, but it's my personal belief (and watch the stones come flying at my head now) that these people who are obsessed, playing it as a game, never content, or whatever justification they invent, are making it harder for people like you who haven't had the opportunity to land even a single Bellisseria parcel. 

I love you, but the field of statistics is not your friend.  "Hoppers" cannot shrink or enlarge the available pool of housing, unless they hold on to a whole bunch of properties.  Most don't hold properties for long periods, they catch-and-abandon.  So they have the effect of spreading out availability of homes over a larger variety of times. This is not a specious rationale, it's a simple statistical truth.

If you don't make it to your computer quickly enough to catch a release, but refresh for half an hour following it, you are sure to see some hopper homes fly by.  If you work and can only use the land page on weekends or SL nighttime, you often have a hopper to thank for your home.  I would catch a home during a release that I couldn't even look at until SL evening, decide against it later, and hold it until a weekend, to give a 9-to-5er a chance at a recently released home.

Think what you want, but the only thing that will help availability of homes is LL continuing to build them. 

If LL limits home swapping to only once a month, all it would do is dampen the current excitement about Belli.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

I love you, but the field of statistics is not your friend. 

No, I'm just looking at different statistics. You are looking at the number of parcels and I'm looking at the amount of traffic a web page can handle, particularly a page that requires some sort of processing rather than just a static page. We don't know what that number is, but it is a finite number, and every page hit is dialing into a database that is fairly ancient and built by people who have probably moved on from LL, taking the knowledge of how it was built with them, so it's a strain on both the land page and the database feeding into that land page. I think of it like calling a radio station in the old days. 1,000 people calling the same number are going to have a harder time getting through than 10 people calling the same number. 10-1 odds are better than 1,000-1 odds and there is much less chance of the phone line imploding on itself. 

I'm also not sure I agree about the current excitement being dampened. I think it's more exciting for Bellisseria to have more brand new people every time a region is released than a couple of new people and the same bunch of fishermen and women that look at the parcel for a minute, then toss it back for another angler to catch and then release. That's just opinion, though, and not really quantifiable. It's exciting for the people fishing, but not so much for the people who just want new neighbors who might actually stay around a while and bring new energy into the community with fresh ideas and groups and events. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Elinah Iredell said:

Is it true that they have privacy measures in place on land now that allow you to appear invisible to anyone nearby if you want to ? 

All land has the option to make you invisible to anyone outside of the parcel - it is just a check box on the Options tab of the About Land window - and it is available in the new Linden Homes, the old Linden Homes, and any piece of property that is not a Linden Home.

Is it possible they could spruce up the older areas to make them nicer neighborhoods and do away with ban lines, as they have in Bellissaria? And perhaps offer the option to replace an older home with a newer updated one? 

6 hours ago, Elinah Iredell said:

There are many reasons, technical and non-technical, of why LL is doing nothing to the older home areas and instead creating all brand new stuff.  Patch Linden and Abnor Mole have explained in more detail why they are doing what they are doing.  I didn't happen to save those particular posts, but they are here in this forum if you'd like to search for them.

Will there ever be enough newer linden homes for every premium member who wants one? It is virtually impossible to snag a home. I keep reading you need to refresh the page but I have never seen one come up personally. And I really do not like the idea of not being able to choose the plot of land and location you prefer. There needs to be a better way to offer them.then giving them out at random like this . Normally the process of buying land allows you to choose the one you want. 

They will eventually have enough homes for everyone and they will definitely not be kicking anyone out of the old ones until they do.  

They really are building as fast as they can.  They have increased their throughput by quite a bit over the last couple of months.  In June they started releasing a region every Mon, Wed, and Fri.  These days they are releasing regions almost every weekday.  And they have been doing that for a while now --- all while at the same time a batch of Moles were creating the 20-some-odd regions of Campers & Trailers that were released in a large batch just a couple of weeks ago.

The only way to do it faster would be to make them all cookie-cutter like and then pretty much nobody would want one.  The reason the new homes are so popular is primarily because the regions are each created individually and are unique.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2019 at 12:15 PM, Eowyn Southmoor said:

Yes. LL will continue to make more continents until they have a home available for all premium members. A figure somewhere was quoted of around 38,000 homes needed.

That does sound life enough, but do you have any idea when all those home will become ready and available? 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

All land has the option to make you invisible to anyone outside of the parcel - it is just a check box on the Options tab of the About Land window - and it is available in the new Linden Homes, the old Linden Homes, and any piece of property that is not a Linden Home.

They will eventually have enough homes for everyone and they will definitely not be kicking anyone out of the old ones until they do.  

That is really good news. I always liked a skybox to try on skins and change clothes in and keep my sense of privacy, but it sounds like that if I check the box I don't need a skybox anymore. 

20 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

They really are building as fast as they can.  They have increased their throughput by quite a bit over the last couple of months.  In June they started releasing a region every Mon, Wed, and Fri.  These days they are releasing regions almost every weekday.  And they have been doing that for a while now --- all while at the same time a batch of Moles were creating the 20-some-odd regions of Campers & Trailers that were released in a large batch just a couple of weeks ago.

The only way to do it faster would be to make them all cookie-cutter like and then pretty much nobody would want one.  The reason the new homes are so popular is primarily because the regions are each created individually and are unique.

I hope so . I have not seen one come up and it is disappointing. I love the campers and trailers I hope to get one soon. It  just seems too hard right now. 

21 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

No, I'm just looking at different statistics. You are looking at the number of parcels and I'm looking at the amount of traffic a web page can handle, particularly a page that requires some sort of processing rather than just a static page. We don't know what that number is, but it is a finite number, and every page hit is dialing into a database that is fairly ancient and built by people who have probably moved on from LL, taking the knowledge of how it was built with them, so it's a strain on both the land page and the database feeding into that land page. I think of it like calling a radio station in the old days. 1,000 people calling the same number are going to have a harder time getting through than 10 people calling the same number. 10-1 odds are better than 1,000-1 odds and there is much less chance of the phone line imploding on itself. 

I'm also not sure I agree about the current excitement being dampened. I think it's more exciting for Bellisseria to have more brand new people every time a region is released than a couple of new people and the same bunch of fishermen and women that look at the parcel for a minute, then toss it back for another angler to catch and then release. That's just opinion, though, and not really quantifiable. It's exciting for the people fishing, but not so much for the people who just want new neighbors who might actually stay around a while and bring new energy into the community with fresh ideas and groups and events. 

But I honestly do not understand how all these people you mention are able to catch and release house after house when I have never even seen one come up on the website, let alone be able to try and catch it. I have not even seen one and they have seen. taken, and released many? How? What are they doing differently from me? 

Edited by Elinah Iredell
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Elinah Iredell said:

That does sound life enough, but do you have any idea when all those home will become ready and available? 

Well, everything out there now has been released since mid-April.  The original release of houses and houseboats, on April 15th, was around 3300 (though it did take them approx. 6 months to fully create all of that) -- this area here:
image.thumb.png.73c80e7b11e66a4f78ad0f3ac241a128.png

The Squishy Pickle release, on May 15th, was another 709 houseboats - this part (which took a bit less than a month to create):
image.png.2096f62716aace01a31deb3520b6338e.png 

Since those two large releases, they have released dozens of individual regions, as well as the recent large Camper/Trailer area.  So now almost all of what is shown in this picture is claimed Linden Homes (exceptions being some of the southern part of the Pickle island, where they are still working) :
image.thumb.png.fe5838f086314df1d37d83f78ab060b0.png

There haven't been any figures released on how many homes are now out there, but just a rough guess from looking at the land mass and knowing approx. the original release number, I'd say they have now exceeded 10,000 homes.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Elinah Iredell said:

But I honestly do not understand how all these people you mention are able to catch and release house after house when I have never even seen one come up on the website, let alone be able to try and catch it. I have not even seen one and they have seen. taken, and released many? How? What are they doing differently from me? 

I believe they spend a lot of time in front of their computers, but I'm honestly not sure. Maybe one of them will answer you.

36 minutes ago, Elinah Iredell said:

Many/most of them are using a browser add-on to automatically refresh the page for them.  The add-on gives an audible alarm when the page is refreshed and a Bellisseria home is showing.  So then they just have to click through the screens -- some are able to do that quicker than others.

• Like 2

A couple of things that I noticed today while periodically refreshing my land page:

1)  For a while today, there were actually no Grayson homes in the Meadowbrook theme available, thus quite a few folks must still be claiming those.

2)  Somewhere along the lines, they finally updated the land pages to show 175 LI for the older homes.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Many/most of them are using a browser add-on to automatically refresh the page for them.  The add-on gives an audible alarm when the page is refreshed and a Bellisseria home is showing.  So then they just have to click through the screens -- some are able to do that quicker than others.

Interesting. I thought it might be something like that. Of course there are limits to how many times you can refresh in a row. 

8 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

A couple of things that I noticed today while periodically refreshing my land page:

1)  For a while today, there were actually no Grayson homes in the Meadowbrook theme available, thus quite a few folks must still be claiming those.

2)  Somewhere along the lines, they finally updated the land pages to show 175 LI for the older homes.

When looking to see what is available, I notice there is one arrow for the first pull down menu and it shows a few home styles, and then if you want to see more home styles a second pull own menu. In order to know if any Bellissaria homes are available do you need to also pull down the second menu or will it show up on the first one? 

It is an interesting thing you noticed. that people are giving the older homes a try and which home style many of them choose. 

When looking to see what is available, I notice there is one arrow for the first pull down menu and it shows a few home styles, and then if you want to see more home styles a second pull own menu. In order to know if any Bellissaria homes are available do you need to also pull down the second menu or will it show up on the first one? 

It is an interesting thing you noticed. that people are giving the older homes a try and which home style many of them choose. 

You only need to check the first drop down like you are doing.  The first drop down is the 'Theme', which is this case is Bellisseria.   So far Bellisseria only has 3 styles available - Traditional House, Houseboat, Camper/Trailer (not sure if that is exactly how they are labeled on the page).   

I took your advice and got an auto refresher and this morning I think I finally saw one! It came up Traditional house! But the thing kept refreshing every few seconds  every time I tried to claim it the page refreshed and I had to start over again. and then I got locked out. lol. At least I finally saw one. I deleted the auto refresh. If I had not had it on there I might have actually gotten a house. By the time I was able to come back it was gone. Oh well. 

Edited by Elinah Iredell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.