Differences between the old and new linden home areas

Elinah Iredell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know that most people prefer the newest Linden home areas in Bellissaria over the older Linden home areas , but I have been wondering if someone can help me understand all the reasons why the new area is considered so much better? Is it true the older linden areas do not allow skyboxes and have less land impact allowances? Are the houses counted as part of the land impact in the older areas or are they separate and not counted like in the newer ones? Do the older areas have more lag ? Do they have nice landscaping ?  Can someone explain why the new area is better ?Thanks

• Like 1

in Bellisseria, you get to choose from different home designs.  the lots are landscaped.  there are walkways and streets that you can drive, bicycle, horseback ride, etc on. the homes are bigger and do not count towards your limit.  the neighborhood actually feels like a neighborhood.  in meadowbrook, the houses felt like they were just plopped there and that there was not much thought put into the area.  there are community lots in bellisseria that you can go to and hang out. there are so many reasons why the bellisseria is so much better. i have included a pic of my decorated for halloween

Snapshot_087.jpg

• Like 3

Old LH:

• 512 size parcel
  • 175 LI allotment
  • Banlines are allowed.
  • No skyboxes allowed.
  • Though I think there’s nothing wrong with the old houses structurally, some people think they look old-fashioned and dated.
  • common areas are meh; the ones I've seen are just benches around a bush.

New LH:

• 1024 sized parcel  (I think the campers are 512.)
  • 351 prim/LI allotment  (175 for campers)
  • Allows skyboxes, but they cannot be below 2000 meters
  • No banlines!
  • better landscaping and common areas, such as, swimming pools and campfires.

Both old and new houses don’t count against the LI allotment, so you get a full 175 or 351 to work with.

Edited by Gregorian Chant
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Gregorian Chant said:

Old LH:

• 512 size parcel
  • 175 LI allotment
  • Banlines are allowed.
  • No skyboxes allowed.
  • Though I think there’s nothing wrong with the old houses structurally, some people think they look old-fashioned and dated.
  • common areas are meh; the ones I've seen are just benches around a bush.

New LH:

• 1024 sized parcel  (I think the campers are 512.)
  • 351 prim/LI allotment  (175 for campers)
  • Allows skyboxes, but they cannot be below 2000 meters
  • No banlines!
  • better landscaping and common areas, such as, swimming pools and campfires.

Both old and new houses don’t count against the LI allotment, so you get a full 175 or 351 to work with.

Thank you for the  details . The 512 campers in Bellissaria will have the same land impact allowance as the older linden 512 areas?  I can see why everyone wants a  newer linden home the neighborhoods are beautiful., and the lack of ban lines is a great idea that should be implemented everywhere , but  it is disappointing though that there are not enough of them to go around so far. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Littlemouse Topaz said:

in Bellisseria, you get to choose from different home designs.  the lots are landscaped.  there are walkways and streets that you can drive, bicycle, horseback ride, etc on. the homes are bigger and do not count towards your limit.  the neighborhood actually feels like a neighborhood.  in meadowbrook, the houses felt like they were just plopped there and that there was not much thought put into the area.  there are community lots in bellisseria that you can go to and hang out. there are so many reasons why the bellisseria is so much better. i have included a pic of my decorated for halloween

So cute . it looks like such a friendly neighborhood

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chad Marbach said:

Actually.  There were community areas in the old lots, but no one ever really used them (or even knew of them).  They were labelled as the info-hubs for different areas (I know Meadowbrook had 2 at least).  The ones in Bellissaria are better designed and much more active.

Just curious though what about lag in the new areas? Since they are more beautifully designed then there are more mesh creations right?  Can that lead to lag? Where the info hubs in the old areas the same kind that people without land  can use to set their home areas to ? 

Edited by Elinah Iredell
  • Like 1

I've been flipping back and forth between new and older homes the last few months and currently my thoughts are;

Acessibility.

Older homes win. If you want somewhere now, you got it. Also, It's possible, with a little bit of patience, to snag the best spots on the older continent due to sparser occupation. Currently Belli is much more effort, to get any kind ofplot.

Lag

It depends. If you snag a home in a new area, surrounded by others setting up their places you will lag big time. After this, it depends, on the sim, your neighbours, your own furnishings.

If you get an older home, right now, I've found them to be usually lag free. However, if you hit upon a more crowded spot, same as above. In my last but one older place I had the region to myself with a few sparsely decorated home between the empties. Luxurious absence of lag.

Design Of Houses

Most people seem to think that the look of the new houses is better, and I agree, however, the internal layout and smaller room sizes of current models have divided opinion (there are more themes to come in Belli so we haven't seen everything yet)

Landscaping.

No contest, Belli wins for beauty, though if you tend to keep your view distance down, or mostly stay indoors it maybe doesn't weigh as heavy.

Scripting in Public Areas

Vehicles, driving, actual sailable water. Belli, Belli, Belli. Outstanding feature. Along with beautiful stuff to look at while driving, sailing etc.

Primmage.

It's the same. Older houses just split the prim and space allowance between the Linden House plot and your (potential) other mainland plot. Belli campers are the same.

Community

Belli has a lot going on. So far as I am aware the older continent is, and always has been, more of a dormitory suburb, and now of course, there are many empty homes which you might enjoy, or feel isolated by.

Summary

Belli is the future, and a step forward. If you can't get in, or just need a place to lay your pixels down, there are some lovely older homes vacant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elinah Iredell said:

Just curious though what about lag in the new areas? Since they are more beautifully designed then there are more mesh creations right?  Can that lead to lag? Where the info hubs in the old areas the same kind that people without land  can use to set their home areas to ? 

All based on how many items are in the area some of the regions are smooth and have no lag other have bad lag and can account to yes what people have out in the region.

• Like 1

A few things to keep in mind if you opt for one of the older homes:

- They WILL be going away  - sometime within the next year or two, roughly.  LL has stated that after there are enough of the newer homes to handle all Premium members, they will start taking down the older home regions and people WILL be forced to leave those homes.

- In order to try to get a newer home on a Premium account, that account CANNOT already have a Linden Home.  Therefore, if you do not have a Premium alt account that you can use to try snagging a new home with, you will either need to remain in the old home until there is enough available for everyone or you will have to simply Abandon your old Linden Home (and be homeless or rent somewhere or crash on your friend's couch) while you try to nab one of the newer ones.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Elinah Iredell said:

Where the info hubs in the old areas the same kind that people without land  can use to set their home areas to ? 

Good question.  I don't know of any Linden infohubs in Belli.  If you join the Bellisseria Citizens group (anyone can join), you can go to their headquarters in Arrgh and set home there.  You can also build, at least enough to open a box or two :)

Belli Citizens can also be helpful during the process of looking for a home.  People sometimes announce there when they are about to abandon a parcel, and folks in the gorup are generally watchful for imminent region releases.

• Like 1

I love the Japanese style homes in Shareta Osumai and opted for one there today. I like it a lot, but will say that the neighborhood feels post-apocalyptic. Where are all the humans? In some ways that's wonderful, but it does feel cold.

• Like 2

That was a problem with the old homes.  Never anyone around (even though you might see a bunch on the mini-map right near you).  The houses were actually fairly nice (for what a resident could get back then).  Just the 'neighborhoods'  were not really instantiated into them much.   Lived in a house in Meadowbrook for a while and maybe came across 1 person outside in that whole time (other than the meadowbrook hub which was just north of my region and the few I saw were all just sitting and nothing was going on). 

Bellisseria seems to be a lot more lively,  Though the houses seem a little more closed in.  I am living in a Houseboat for now, though that (possibly due to the fact I seem to be on the outskirts of the continent) seems to be pretty much quiet and almost as empty seeming.  But, I am pretty much of a loner anyways (Strange that I am in Second Life...lol).

• Like 2

@Elinah Iredell, i think most of them have answered your questions, but just to say a few

the old linden homes are being clustered together with no road, river and pedestrian path, the most annoying part would be run into ban lines when you tried to fly above your neighbor's house

the new linden homes they have spaced out the houses and have access with either road, river and pedestrian path, if you happened to fly over someone house with a linden security orb, you have at least 15 seconds to move out, which is much more user friendly for any pilots out there

and new linden homes have a beautiful unique landscape which you can travel around freely

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

I've been flipping back and forth between new and older homes the last few months and currently my thoughts are;

Acessibility.

Older homes win. If you want somewhere now, you got it. Also, It's possible, with a little bit of patience, to snag the best spots on the older continent due to sparser occupation. Currently Belli is much more effort, to get any kind ofplot.

Lag

It depends. If you snag a home in a new area, surrounded by others setting up their places you will lag big time. After this, it depends, on the sim, your neighbours, your own furnishings.

If you get an older home, right now, I've found them to be usually lag free. However, if you hit upon a more crowded spot, same as above. In my last but one older place I had the region to myself with a few sparsely decorated home between the empties. Luxurious absence of lag.

Design Of Houses

Most people seem to think that the look of the new houses is better, and I agree, however, the internal layout and smaller room sizes of current models have divided opinion (there are more themes to come in Belli so we haven't seen everything yet)

Landscaping.

No contest, Belli wins for beauty, though if you tend to keep your view distance down, or mostly stay indoors it maybe doesn't weigh as heavy.

Scripting in Public Areas

Vehicles, driving, actual sailable water. Belli, Belli, Belli. Outstanding feature. Along with beautiful stuff to look at while driving, sailing etc.

Primmage.

It's the same. Older houses just split the prim and space allowance between the Linden House plot and your (potential) other mainland plot. Belli campers are the same.

Community

Belli has a lot going on. So far as I am aware the older continent is, and always has been, more of a dormitory suburb, and now of course, there are many empty homes which you might enjoy, or feel isolated by.

Summary

Belli is the future, and a step forward. If you can't get in, or just need a place to lay your pixels down, there are some lovely older homes vacant.

Thank you for the observations on old vs new. It does seem from your descriptions that the older homes still have a lot going for them, but that Bellissario is preferable. However it does no good to create a place like Bellissaria that people want to live in but not create enough homes for most to be able to have one. Though it would be nice to have an empty sim in the older homes all to myself ,. Have they done away with ban lines there too?  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, tootsiepop1 said:

All based on how many items are in the area some of the regions are smooth and have no lag other have bad lag and can account to yes what people have out in the region.

I noticed that flying around the Bellissaria areas . I experienced real lag in one area and none in others. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tootsiepop1 said:

Is it true that they have privacy measures in place on land now that allow you to appear invisible to anyone nearby if you want to ? 

Edited by Elinah Iredell
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Good question.  I don't know of any Linden infohubs in Belli.  If you join the Bellisseria Citizens group (anyone can join), you can go to their headquarters in Arrgh and set home there.  You can also build, at least enough to open a box or two :)

Belli Citizens can also be helpful during the process of looking for a home.  People sometimes announce there when they are about to abandon a parcel, and folks in the gorup are generally watchful for imminent region releases.

Thank you I did join yesterday and went to the headquarters but did not notice I could set home to there. I will go there again. And yes someone did mention he was about to abandon his land in the group. I never had a chance. I tried but  never even saw it come up let alone grab it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Wanted to note that while Belli was VERY much populated at the beginning, that has slowed down over time.  This is a screenshot taken just now and there ain't many green dots on there LOL.  

That is what I read that things are slowing down from what they were. Still it is nearly impossible to get one .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sceneris said:

@Elinah Iredell, i think most of them have answered your questions, but just to say a few

the old linden homes are being clustered together with no road, river and pedestrian path, the most annoying part would be run into ban lines when you tried to fly above your neighbor's house

the new linden homes they have spaced out the houses and have access with either road, river and pedestrian path, if you happened to fly over someone house with a linden security orb, you have at least 15 seconds to move out, which is much more user friendly for any pilots out there

and new linden homes have a beautiful unique landscape which you can travel around freely

Is it possible they could spruce up the older areas to make them nicer neighborhoods and do away with ban lines, as they have in Bellissaria? And perhaps offer the option to replace an older home with a newer updated one? 

• Like 1

I have two avatars, one lives in Meadowbrook (over 4 years now) and one in Bellisseria. I personally have more lag in Bellisseria than Meadowbrook. But everyone I guess is different.

The houses in Meadowbrook have more open space in them, for me that is critical and why I like Meadowbrook houses better, but Bellisseria is pretty and laid out much better.

I just live in my sky box in Bellisseria, in Meadowbrook I don’t need a sky box.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.