Please stop rigging things for no reason!

Kyrah Abattoir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Short Haircuts
Unless we are talking buzzcut, there is no point in doing this, and not every avatar has a "standard" skull.

Shoes
Low shoes don't need to be rigged, they also don't need to be a single monolythic object, we don't have a toe bone.
A lot of calf and ankle heels don't need to be rigged, in fact, the "broken ankle" look is a lot worse than a stiff looking ankle on most of those.

Earrings
Unless it's for some animesh furry avatars, ears will never move on their own.

But also a lot of neckaces, glasses, bracelets.
IF IT DOESN'T DEFORM, IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE RIGGED.

Typically if it's rigged:

• I can't rez it as a decorative prop.
  • I can't wear it somewhere else.
  • I can't tweak the way it attaches.
  • I can't make it bigger or smaller.
  • I can't use it on my <insert avatar brand> avatar.

Each of those bulletpoints is a lost sale.

• Like 4

I only require rigged short hair, shoes and accessories for Animesh until the day we are blessed with attach points, that is, if it is done right.

Also, it would be nice to have a checkbox to turn off/on rigging on a mesh object/attachment.

Also, you seem to have the reverse luck that I do, where I find far too much short hair and shoes that isn't rigged, heh.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire

7 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Short Haircuts
Unless we are talking buzzcut, there is no point in doing this, and not every avatar has a "standard" skull.

Shoes
Low shoes don't need to be rigged, they also don't need to be a single monolythic object, we don't have a toe bone.
A lot of calf and ankle heels don't need to be rigged, in fact, the "broken ankle" look is a lot worse than a stiff looking ankle on most of those.

Earrings
Unless it's for some animesh furry avatars, ears will never move on their own.

But also a lot of neckaces, glasses, bracelets.
IF IT DOESN'T DEFORM, IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE RIGGED.

Typically if it's rigged:

• I can't rez it as a decorative prop.
  • I can't wear it somewhere else.
  • I can't tweak the way it attaches.
  • I can't make it bigger or smaller.
  • I can't use it on my <insert avatar brand> avatar.

1. Haircuts .. agree
  2. Shoes - if the shoes aren't rigged I won't buy them! I don't use an ankle lock because I absolutely HATE for my ankle to look as though it's in an invisible cast.
  3. Bento elf ears can benefit from rigged earrings if attached to the alt ear position, so in that case, yes, please rig if you can be certain that the earrings will fit those ears correctly as bento ears do move! If you have rigged earrings that move with my bento ears that's a sale; otherwise, I can't see any reason whatsoever to rig earrings.
  4. I personally only wear rigged necklaces now as I really do not like how unrigged necklaces move with my mesh head/body. Depending on the style of bracelet I prefer rigged to non-rigged if the bracelet is to fit close to the wrist. With bento hands and animations having it rigged really helps to keep the bracelet from cutting into the wrist/arm/hand.
  5. I've never seen a rigged pair of glasses but I wouldn't buy a pair if they were rigged.

• I don't use worn items as deco so no problem.
  • In most cases I won't be wanting to wear an article of clothing or jewelry in a different location, so again, no problem.
  • The whole point of rigging it is to make it fit better than non-rigged. So if you've done your rigging properly there is no need to tweak the item's fit, so again no problem. If you're rigging doesn't achieve the proper look then no sale.
  • I understand wanting to resize something. It might or might not affect my decision to purchase an item.
  • I only wear one brand of mesh body. I'm only interested in buying items rigged for my body which has never been an issue.

I only post to show that there is a market for everything. What one person loves another hates.

9 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

For every lost sale caused by those bulletpoints there's probably at least 5-10 lost sales caused by people (usually ones who already have troubles with any tech related things and never heard about linkset resizing either) not wanting to deal with anything, but "wear and forget". Besides most rigged things are rigged for the mainstream bodies/heads, which together have lion share of the market. So it's very same as not rigging your products to some niche brands - it may cost you a sale or two, but nothing to be concerned about.

So I only somewhat agree with short hairstyles, but even then thanks to very old attachment ghosting bug (that's on LL for not fixing it for years), rigged ones have one big advantage, I can attach them to an odd attachment point and reduce "ghosting ratio" by a lot. Same for the necklaces, too, actually. If spine/neck already have other attachments, then adding necklace there will most definitely cause something to be killed by server on teleport, especially if region was slow.

On 9/30/2019 at 10:08 PM, steeljane42 said:

For every lost sale caused by those bulletpoints there's probably at least 5-10 lost sales caused by people (usually ones who already have troubles with any tech related things and never heard about linkset resizing either) not wanting to deal with anything, but "wear and forget". Besides most rigged things are rigged for the mainstream bodies/heads, which together have lion share of the market.

What would be the harm in providing both? It's literally one checkbox at upload.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

What would be the harm in providing both? It's literally one checkbox at upload.

Probably same kind of the harm as not making items no-mod. It's also one checkbox in perms, but for those who do it... I guess they don't really care about a few lost sales caused by "needy customers". I heard many reasons why people do this, including the need to replace (or explain how to use redelivery system) broken items, so "better to just leave it no-mod" and "don't want people to mess up my creations using them for non intended purpose", so could be the same case here.

I am a Dinkie.  Dinkies have a wider head on the X axis.  So, I actually need an x, y z menu for hair.

Not everyone wants rigged stuff anyways.  I mean are they really serious in believing someone doesn't know how to fit an object onto their avatar?  

Edited by FairreLilette

6 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

I am a Dinkie.  Dinkies have a wider head on the X axis.  So, I actually need an x, y z menu for hair.

Not everyone wants rigged stuff anyways.  I mean are they really serious in believing someone doesn't know how to fit an object onto their avatar?  

Having met people with accounts from 06 who don't know how to edit objects, I can very much tell you these people exist - whilst I fully agree with providing unrigged gear, I can see why they wouldn't want to when it comes to the larger, more popular brands, although a customer service really should be present when earning that kind of income anyway.

Still, it doesn't equate to a fully sensible excuse. A lot of "creators" (ahem) pretty much just rig stuff because it's a then-buzzword that's simply become the norm... as well as those who have a potential lack of proper content creation knowledge because they outsource most of the actual work and are simply the face of the brand name.

But even those people must know the baseline of what that little tickbox does.

5 hours ago, Zoxin said:

Having met people with accounts from 06 who don't know how to edit objects, I can very much tell you these people exist - whilst I fully agree with providing unrigged gear, I can see why they wouldn't want to when it comes to the larger, more popular brands, although a customer service really should be present when earning that kind of income anyway.

Still, it doesn't equate to a fully sensible excuse. A lot of "creators" (ahem) pretty much just rig stuff because it's a then-buzzword that's simply become the norm... as well as those who have a potential lack of proper content creation knowledge because they outsource most of the actual work and are simply the face of the brand name.

But even those people must know the baseline of what that little tickbox does.

Wow!   I try to include 'How To's as much as I can, but I'm looking at it more like there could be newbies and everyone needs to start somewhere.  I do not block access to the built-in SL tools as other creators do by putting in other menus though.  I do not use re-sizers nor huds for tinting...there is a color picker palette built-in to every object in SL.  It's under the TEXTURE tab and click open the oblong box underneath the word COLOR and Viola! you have hundreds of color shades you can play with to make it more your own.  That's part of the fun, imo.  However, many creators block access to this.  I do not.  And, that is about money nothing more so you have to buy all the colors instead of being able to use the built-in color picker palette that is already there in every object in SL.  It's just creators block access to it because of money.  And, you can still add a tint over a texture.  I often do.  So, there really is no need to block the color picker palette as you can still have a hud and tint too.

But, rigged and un-rigged has a necessity in SL.  I don't see why some creators do not want to realize that?   

Edited by FairreLilette

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2019 at 2:59 PM, FairreLilette said:

Wow!   I try to include 'How To's as much as I can, but I'm looking at it more like there could be newbies and everyone needs to start somewhere.  I do not block access to the built-in SL tools as other creators do by putting in other menus though.  I do not use re-sizers nor huds for tinting...there is a color picker palette built-in to every object in SL.  It's under the TEXTURE tab and click open the oblong box underneath the word COLOR and Viola! you have hundreds of color shades you can play with to make it more your own.  That's part of the fun, imo.  However, many creators block access to this.  I do not.  And, that is about money nothing more so you have to buy all the colors instead of being able to use the built-in color picker palette that is already there in every object in SL.  It's just creators block access to it because of money.  And, you can still add a tint over a texture.  I often do.  So, there really is no need to block the color picker palette as you can still have a hud and tint too.

But, rigged and un-rigged has a necessity in SL.  I don't see why some creators do not want to realize that?   

I did say "for no reason". DOn't shoot the messenger there :P

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.