New Premium, New Home

Waiomao

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Aloha,

I was about to click "upgrade membership" tonight but saw that the only homes available are styles I have no interest in: traditional, houseboat, or camper. Sounds like none of the Japanese style ones are left, and there's no way to choose a beachfront parcel. Then some posts I saw said that no new homes at all are available, all are sold out. It sounds like upgrading membership now will result in waiting for an unknown period of time until more new homes, of an unknown style, on an unknown parcel, become available. It's something like waiting for a property developer to complete a new neighborhood during a housing crisis, because there's no resale market, only a rental market. Am I reading this right? Without the availability of a brand new home I want, is there any reason to upgrade membership? Or should I wait until what looks like an SL housing crisis ends and there is better availability and better choice? I'm at a loss - maybe I'm making too many comparisons to buying a home in RL. 

Mahalo (thanks) for any advice.

/\ protect MaunaKea

Edited by Waiomao
misspelling

The Japanese-style homes are in Shareta Osumai. This is one of the old Linden Home areas, which was released years ago. The old homes are easy to get as many are available. They're also somewhat outdated and will be going away at some point (probably a year or so).

The new Linden Homes are in Bellissaria. These are the traditionals, houseboats and trailers. They're in short supply at the moment and still being built. There will be other types coming, but we don't know if there will be a Japanese theme.

If it's old and Japanese you want, they're right there waiting to claim so you might as well upgrade. If it's new and Japanese you want, they don't exist so there's no point upgrading yet.

• Like 5

Hello and good morning,

i need help for a new lindenhome, i have a existing premium membership and a old lindenhome, how it works to get a new lindenhome?

i look on the map and leave the old one but i don,t see anything about new lindenhome... when i rent the old  lindenhome once again, there are only the old ones. i don,t understand it.....

where can i get a new one?...

Anyone write her they get a upgrade and see new lindenhomes, i do,nt see anything and ca,nt upgrade anything, because i have a premium membership.....

Edited by Zuckerpueppi72

2 hours ago, Zuckerpueppi72 said:

thank you soo much ..... but there are no new home available..........but thanks for your answer...

At the moment, the new homes are rarer than unicorn dust - micro releases are happening (usually Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays), but you pretty much need to be stalking the web page (F5, F5, F5, F5...on and on - or use an auto-refresh browser extension that does the F5ing for you) as it happens. Not ideal, but with each release, the pool of homes increase, and that in turns mean there's more movement (people abandoning their home to try for another one), so that there's more chance of getting a home outside of the release time.

It's getting there.... :-)

• Like 2

There are ways, though, to choose a beachfront lot or a Japanese style home (or both) and change and renovate and upgrade and alter and change your mind indefinitely, until such time as your ideal Linden Home comes available.  

You can keep a basic subscription and rent land, subject to other people's covenants and restrictions about what you can rez, leading to a homogenized feel environmentally. 

Or you can upgrade to premium and buy mainland parcels whose covenants are very permissive, putting precious few restrictions on your styles of builds or landscapes, but with a more chaotic feel environmentally. 

And when the new Linden Homes are widely available, you can claim and abandon one after another until you finally get one that you're pleased with style and location and neighbours; and you'll have a great place to live in a beautifully landscaped zone, so long as you agree with and abide by the Linden Home covenant.

Every option comes with permissions and restrictions; however,  I firmly believe paying for the subscription to get all the premium benefits is worth it. Biding one's time on the mainland is good fun!  I too like beachfronts and Japanese styling; on the mainland, I can rez and delete and re-rez new styles as often as I like while I lurk in picture-forums and blogs and see what fresh new things Linden Lab is cooking up for premium subscribers.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Clarrellae said:

There are ways, though, to choose a beachfront lot or a Japanese style home (or both) and change and renovate and upgrade and alter and change your mind indefinitely, until such time as your ideal Linden Home comes available.  

You can keep a basic subscription and rent land, subject to other people's covenants and restrictions about what you can rez, leading to a homogenized feel environmentally. 

Or you can upgrade to premium and buy mainland parcels whose covenants are very permissive, putting precious few restrictions on your styles of builds or landscapes, but with a more chaotic feel environmentally. 

And when the new Linden Homes are widely available, you can claim and abandon one after another until you finally get one that you're pleased with style and location and neighbours; and you'll have a great place to live in a beautifully landscaped zone, so long as you agree with and abide by the Linden Home covenant.

Every option comes with permissions and restrictions; however,  I firmly believe paying for the subscription to get all the premium benefits is worth it. Biding one's time on the mainland is good fun!  I too like beachfronts and Japanese styling; on the mainland, I can rez and delete and re-rez new styles as often as I like while I lurk in picture-forums and blogs and see what fresh new things Linden Lab is cooking up for premium subscribers.

I am not to sure where you getting "You can keep a basic subscription and rent land, subject to other people's covenants and restrictions about what you can rez, leading to a homogenized feel environmentally" but that is not the case for all rented land.

You are going to be subject to that with linden homes also.

It is all based on your preferences, and like stated Japanese style homes will only be available right now via the older model homes but another idea you may want to think of I have seen a few of the new model homes (yes the outside may not be Japanese styled) interior/exterior decorated with Japanese themed items and is very lovely, people have placed zen gardens in the backyard and other items inside.

So all I am trying to say you can fashion the newer homes to your liking/theme, or go with the older ones that are already designed. 

If you don't go with a premium sub then like stated you have your choice of renting and you can find all types of rentals out there that are to your liking I have done that for many years just because I never liked the older linden homes/mainland. You can go with mainland but have to really search as there can be a lot of eyesore obstructions and no one to prevent it lets just be blunt.

Edited by tootsiepop1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, tootsiepop1 said:

I am not to sure where you getting "You can keep a basic subscription and rent land, subject to other people's covenants and restrictions about what you can rez, leading to a homogenized feel environmentally" but that is not the case for all rented land.

Where I am getting it from is 7 years of renting land in Second Life.  

100% of the rentals come with a covenant. Renters are bound by that covenant.

There are different covenants for different companies.  Some allow only tiny houses. Some don't allow skyboxes.  Some require only tropical themes, no concrete or glass. Some forbid you to change ground textures; some don't mind if you change ground textures.  To a greater or lesser extent the idea is to promote homogeneity and "community" -- whether it succeeds or not depends on how strict the rules are and how much building the landlord did before parcelling out homes.

Yes, taking a Linden Home involves also being subject to a covenant; I said that already.  

Every option involves some permissions and some restrictions.  What is comfortable for some people and not for others is simply a matter of what you're permitted or allowed to do with the land you occupy.  

My whole point, and I'll repeat it here, is it's better to get the premium account (addressing that quandry in the original post) so that there are the most options.

• Like 3

Mahalo everyone. I upgraded, clicked "reload" on house selection for a few minutes, then as several have suggested I settled on an older style knowing I can redecorate and change the style whenever I like. I have my new home decorated only with freebies so I can abandon at a moment's notice. Looks like I'm in the same boat as everyone else now :-)

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Zuckerpueppi72 said:

Yes of course, i nwould so much like to have a traditional new lindenhome... i fly through the region and looked at a house, it is open for all, showhouse....it,s really beautifull... here is the link.......https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Buitenwijk/228/192/26?fbclid=IwAR0oGWGxfTg_dFAutqMPrGf9nDBizHTSCHjLjTOGpLzC8P082XZ7TvYrM0k

There is a parade of homes in which you can go around and view homes/houseboats and maybe campers not sure on them as they are fairly new releases. The hud can be received at the Welcome Center in Bellisseria.

Saw the new homes at the SL16B celebration. The build quality looked good, but the styles didn't feel like home. It's all up to everyone's individual taste, and I'm glad Lindens and moles are making something for everyone, but I had to go old skool for now and will wait for something better to come along. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.