Lag on Bellisseria

Lanne Wise

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

One thing to watch is your draw distance. You can set it high enough to see across more than one region... which doesn't matter when it's a single private region. It does matter when you're in an area with a lot of connected regions. It'll mean you're loading a lot of stuff you can't really see anyway, because it's too far away.

Assuming your setting are the same in Bellisseria and other places (why would you change them> :D) then it is most likely either YOUR home furnishings or your neighbors. If you don't have a home in Belli then you can blame the folks around your location. 

There is a TON (and  the number is growing) of "heavy mesh" and "bloated textures" in Second Life. Lots of folks don't understand why they should care, but LAG is a  big reason!    If you walk around inside your home and look in different directions and see the frame rate plummet then there certainly could be some offending mesh in your home styling.   You can right click on an object and INSPECT it to see the number of triangles.  Simplistically, the bigger the number the "laggier" the mesh and texture load is important in that calculation.   IF you can identify your laggy objects, you can replace them with items that are designed as "game asset".  IF the problematic items are not yours but your neighbors then DERENDER and BLACKLIST those objects (Firestorm has this and I think other third party viewers).   Lowing your draw distance is good. I keep mine at about 120 so half a sims worth. 

While most of the Mole made objects are "primmy" they don't figure into the lag-meter quite as much partly because both mesh and textures are reused withing the regions. But when you purchase items that are HALF A MILLION triangles for a small decor item --- you can expect your framerates to move downward.   

It might be good to teleport to some other sims and see if the lag is similar to the ones you normally hang out in.    Only an interest point. If you have lag where you are then you will have to deal with that or move.    You can of course turn off shadows and DOF and other fancy settings should you have those on --- or spend a lot of money on a better gaming computer :D.

GOOD LUCK!!!!   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Assuming your setting are the same in Bellisseria and other places (why would you change them> :D) then it is most likely either YOUR home furnishings or your neighbors. If you don't have a home in Belli then you can blame the folks around your location.

You can say that but who wants to live in an empty house? The houses themsevles and the vegetation around them are very render heavy so you can't add much more content before people start getting significant performance reduction.

I ocne did a quick comparasion check between an empty Bellissseria region and an old Meadowbrooks one. The performance I got was pretty much the same and the old Linden Homes do have a reputation for being laggy. That was with empty houses and while the old Linden Homes tend to be sparsely furnished if they are furnished at all, the Bellisseria homes tend to be quite elaborately decorated.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

I just did a quick check and I got 55 at ground level at my sim (STRAND) and 44 in Heathstone looking INTO my house and toward the neighbors -- not looking out to sea.  While that is a drop it isn't horrible. I have seen it less in Bellisseria though as well as better.    I should say that I have only derendered other people's items because I really didn't want to LOOK at them -- not because of them being heavy LOL.  So "blindness" doesn't figure into my FPS all that much.    I Have used up all but three or four of my 351 land impact points but mostly with very sanely modeled items (there are a few heavy things mixed in but not many). 

I have noticed if I log in at my Bellisseria trailer  I get a bit of a delay where all my body parts fly around then ping into place but once that happens everything is fine.  It doesn't happen to me anywhere else. 

My quick test all at ground level and, other than my homestead, I was the only person on each region:

mainland parcel 63 fps  

Homestead (store/home) region 76 fps

Belleseria trailer parcel  49 fps

4 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I have noticed if I log in at my Bellisseria trailer  I get a bit of a delay where all my body parts fly around then ping into place but once that happens everything is fine.  It doesn't happen to me anywhere else. 

My quick test all at ground level and, other than my homestead, I was the only person on each region:

mainland parcel 63 fps  

Homestead (store/home) region 76 fps

Belleseria trailer parcel  49 fps

I quote the above, though direct this comment to all. It is because SL is becoming way over-meshed and the prim is still king. The main benefit of Bellisseria (as mentioned above) is that all that mesh is the same and so are the textures, save for privately-owned items. Mesh is the main evil for computer lag.

In decorating my trailer I did create a single prim base for my bed. And this is what I see every time I login (this snapshot is literally three seconds after the world appeared):

The Prim is still king

The prim is still king.

And now Bellisseria (and many, if not most estate regions) is 99.43% all mesh where, in many places, plain old prims could have been more efficient. So the solution is to turn draw distance way down and use Graphic Presets. I have a Ultra Max set to 256 meters, and Ultra Main, set to 128. LOD set to 2 (mid point) in all presets. I think the real issue is that people are pushing their graphic settings too high because they want both: Beautiful pictures AND zero lag (not to be confused with latency; rubber-banding while moving).

Most people complaining of lag are driving too fast for road conditions.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

My fps is far worse at my Bellisseria house than at my houseboat.  I usually  keep my draw distance set to 128m.  My Houseboat is in the upper NE piece of the Squishy Pickle, so I have a void region on one side, a water region on another side and then other other Houseboats on the other 2 sides.   My fps will show 120-150 when facing the water or void regions, and while it definitely drops when facing the other houseboats, it seldom hits 60 and typically averages around 90.  At the House, there are other houses on 6 of the 8 compass points.  While my fps will average around 55-60 with the 128m draw distance, it never gets higher than 85-90 and will sometimes drop into the low 40s. 

One way to figure out if it is your own stuff that is causing you problems is to position yourself roughly in the middle of your parcel and drop your draw distance down to 32m.  Then slowly turn, maintaining position at each view for a short bit while you watch your fps reading.   If facing any direction causes a big drop in fps, look at the items that you have rezzed in that direction.  

My mainland used to be as good as my Houseboat, but something has been going on there the last few months.  If I don't reduce my draw distance, my fps will often drop into the 30s or 40s.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.