I'm sorry I asked

Annabell Wandsworth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Annabell Wandsworth said:

Hi

I have been using a radio script for several years with no issues, and now I tried deeding it to land and it did not work (something I have done a hundred times before). It works fine on non-group owned land. I don't know if something has changed in the viewer or what the issue is, so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks in advance, and here is the script:

I'm not sure about the copyright status of the script, but anyway, I don't think anything relevant has changed with scripting so I'm not even looking at the script for now. Instead I think we need to know more about the "did not work" part of deeding it to land this time. What exactly didn't work?

Is there any chance that this time you put the script in an object that itself is no-transfer, or contains any other no-transfer assets?

28 minutes ago, Annabell Wandsworth said:

As I said before, this is a script I have used many times before for several years, in the same manner I am using it now.

Please describe the steps you are taking in detail, including object permissions. Also, please edit your main post so that the script is inside of a code-block, you can add one from the little <> icon in the post editor. You've posted around 500+ lines of code, it should at least be as readable as possible.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Annabell Wandsworth said:

First, this is a free script, open source

just on why Qie commented as he did.  The script is not open source as the author Franklyn Constantine reserves all rights to himself.  That a work is free and distributed in human-readable form doesn't in itself make the work open source

• Like 1

well the issue wasn't with the script.  When we can't deed an object to group-owned land then there is either a issue with the region server not being able to complete the task, or there is an issue with the Transfer permission of the object, any script or other contents item. When we deed then the ownership of the object changes to the group.  It may be that all items are set to transfer, but is worth checking 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mollymews said:

well the issue wasn't with the script.  When we can't deed an object to group-owned land then there is either a issue with the region server not being able to complete the task, or there is an issue with the Transfer permission of the object, any script or other contents item. When we deed then the ownership of the object changes to the group.  It may be that all items are set to transfer, but is worth checking 

na

Edited by Annabell Wandsworth

1 minute ago, Annabell Wandsworth said:

Look. As I said before, I HAVE BEEN USING THIS EXACT SCRIPT FOR YEARS IN MY FULL PERM PRIMS WITH NO ISSUES WITH DEEDING TO LAND. There really is no way I can state that any clearer.

i wrote "there is either a issue with the region server not being able to complete the task, or there is an issue with the Transfer permission"

if it is not the permissions then it is the region server not being able to complete the task.  In recent days there have been multiple issues with multiple types of scripts on multiple regions, which Linden are working on. The current solution for many is a region restart, which can fix the problem in many instances. If not then we are asked to file a JIRA

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Annabell Wandsworth said:

Look. As I said before, I HAVE BEEN USING THIS EXACT SCRIPT FOR YEARS IN MY FULL PERM PRIMS WITH NO ISSUES WITH DEEDING TO LAND. There really is no way I can state that any clearer.

Problem is that you never specified what the permissions actually were, so it wasn't clear. "I've used it before so I can't make mistakes" is not how it works and being vague is less helpful than anybody else in this thread.

The core of the script you originally posted is this function, which has these requirements: "The object owner must also be the land owner. If the land is deeded to a group the object will need to be deeded to the same group for this function to work."

So the questions still are: Do you own the land and the object? If not, is the land deeded to a group and is the object deeded to the same group as the land? (You didn't specify any of these things either.)

Beyond that, there's nothing wrong with the script itself so the problem is somewhere else.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Please describe the steps you are taking in detail, including object permissions. Also, please edit your main post so that the script is inside of a code-block, you can add one from the little <> icon in the post editor. You've posted around 500+ lines of code, it should at least be as readable as possible.

That would be the opposite of posting complaints in all caps, and changing the op to “I’m sorry I asked” and changing many posts to “na”. Apparently, the poster simply can’t be bothered to provide helpful information to solve their problem, and merely wishes to complain.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mollymews said:

the author Franklyn Constantine reserves all rights to himself.

The reason I was "not sure about the copyright status of the script" was that I've seen source with "all rights reserved" as the starting point from which licenses are then granted -- sometimes very permissive licenses -- which is what I think the script author was trying to do. Unfortunately the subsequent language was extraordinarily abstract, or at least seemed so to me. Granted, IANAL so maybe what appeared vague may have been sprinkled with unfamiliar terms of art that made it all okay. Or not. Just "not sure."

All of which is a very long way of saying I didn't want to make a whole long explanation like this, lest it cause unnecessary drama. That sure went well, huh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well you gave not the answer the op wanted. You even wanted details but the op never makes mistakes so doesnt need to give details. Instead you bring up things like copyright. A total waste of time.

And then the snowflake melted. 😋

Hmmm .. I think I will not check here for answers .. people tend to think I'm always serious. 
However that was entertaining. 

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

The reason I was "not sure about the copyright status of the script" was that I've seen source with "all rights reserved" as the starting point from which licenses are then granted -- sometimes very permissive licenses -- which is what I think the script author was trying to do. Unfortunately the subsequent language was extraordinarily abstract, or at least seemed so to me. Granted, IANAL so maybe what appeared vague may have been sprinkled with unfamiliar terms of art that made it all okay. Or not. Just "not sure."

the use license the author granted was reasonably permissive.  The script could be used in any device of the user's desire and could be sold as a component of a device, provided that the device wasn't distributed as a freebie

2 hours ago, Mollymews said:

the use license the author granted was reasonably permissive.  The script could be used in any device of the user's desire and could be sold as a component of a device, provided that the device wasn't distributed as a freebie

I still have the script, the specifics were:

// Terms of use:
// this program must not be sold alone, it may be copied or resold as a part of a new product,
// as long as it is not the main purpose of the new creation.

// example: put it into a self made radio, or any other unique own creation and sell it - it's OK!
//          put it in a freebie, or any other 3rd party stuff and sell it - this is NOT OK!

// if reused, Franklyn Constantine  shall be mentioned in the credits.

Putting it in a freebie is fine, but if you got a full-perm item for free and put his script in it and sold that, you'd be on his bad side. No worries though, I wrote my own just now:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.