Lessening Vertices?

Fanta UwU

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was wondering if there was a modifier in Blender to reduce vertices while keeping things smooth?

I learned that there is a 65k vertices limit when I upload things and whenever I try lessen the vertices (via limited dissolve), it gets the mesh a little blocky or loses the general, smooth shape I want.

I tried making a dress and it was going well till I ended up with that limit and well... it’s practically ruined at this point trying to lessen the vertices via the limited dissolve lol.

But hey, I’m still a beginner, so... it’s a learning process, ya know!

Anyways, anything other than limited dissolve to lessen the vertices to be put under that limit of 65k vertices? In a way to keep the general smooth shape of the clothing item?

46 minutes ago, Muiregwen said:

I was wondering if there was a modifier in Blender to reduce vertices while keeping things smooth?

I learned that there is a 65k vertices limit when I upload things and whenever I try lessen the vertices (via limited dissolve), it gets the mesh a little blocky or loses the general, smooth shape I want.

I tried making a dress and it was going well till I ended up with that limit and well... it’s practically ruined at this point trying to lessen the vertices via the limited dissolve lol.

But hey, I’m still a beginner, so... it’s a learning process, ya know!

Anyways, anything other than limited dissolve to lessen the vertices to be put under that limit of 65k vertices? In a way to keep the general smooth shape of the clothing item?

You could try the DECIMATE modifier. Sometimes it works well. Also if you started making the dress in Marvelous Designer there is now a way to REMESH (version 8 and onward) so you might search that out. I haven't tried the remeshing tool so can't say how good it is.  Also, since you said you were a beginning, be sure and have SMOOTH checked instead of FLAT -- that solves lots of "blocky" issues. 

Aaaah. That could have also been my problem too where I didn’t use smooth or smooth shading in the beginning

Though I didn’t make it in MD as that is something I can not afford at the moment. So for now I’m just using Blender.

But thank you, I’ll try to decimate modifier!

1 hour ago, Muiregwen said:

Aaaah. That could have also been my problem too where I didn’t use smooth or smooth shading in the beginning

Though I didn’t make it in MD as that is something I can not afford at the moment. So for now I’m just using Blender.

But thank you, I’ll try to decimate modifier!

Likely it will be better to start over as your triangle count is WAY too high.  A "better" way to lessen your vertices count is to remove edge loops. Select the edge loop you want to get rid of and hit the X_key to get the menu shown in the screenshot and then "delete edge loop".  This is a better choice than the decimate modifier and leaves you with much better topology (shapes within your mesh).

Glad it was just the SMOOTH thing and that I thought of that :D.  Happy meshing. 

1735508355_deleteedgeloops.thumb.jpg.38ac3b1564c346eea735e1d517cac65e.jpg

You can hold Alt to select a loop in Blender. Doing the reduction by hand gives you the most control and the highest quality end result. While you might think that going from 65k+ to something reasonable might be a lot, it really won't take that much time if you focus on flat and flat-ish areas. Read the first post of this thread:

I'm re-linking the images from the first post here because some of them have expired. (And these will expire too, in time.)

Model comparison, wireframe, example workflow

What does your model (the edges) look like? And if you want help, I could do examples.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.