Darn you have been logged out of second life

lial Andel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

So, did you check your Internet connection?  It may be good enough to watch YouTube videos, handle e-mail, and let you play on-line games, but SL demands a much more stable connection than those other activities.  Open your Statistic Display (CTRL + Shift + 1) and look at the Ping Sim and Packets Lost statistics near the top of the report. If your Ping Sim value is much greater than about 150 msec or you are losing more than 0.2 - 0.5% of the data packets in transmission, your connection may be too unstable to keep your viewer and the SL servers in sync. You will start to experience trouble teleporting, lag, and frequent disconnection.

Several people have recently reported being disconnected during teleport or when crossing region boundaries, so it's possible that there may be some instability in some of Linden Lab's servers.  Try going to different regions in SL to see whether you are having the same problems in those places.  If you only have problems in your home region, you may need to ask the region owner to restart its servers.

One detail: I have 200ms ping for many years and that's quite normal and the minimum (I can not get less) for a europe to west coast connection. (To east coast a 120 is possible)

No disconnects here, so if ping is a factor it needs to be much higher.

I have 0% packet loss though - always - (well whenever I looked 😎)  That's probably more a factor to keep an eye on. (no wifi here)

• Like 1

Two things stand out in that report.  One is your Ping Sim figure (209 msec) .  This is not dramatically high, but is high enough to make your connection vulnerable if other factors give it much of a push.  In most places in the US, it should take less than 100 msec for a signal to travel between your computer and the SL servers in California.  If you are in Europe or farther away, it will take signal longer to make the trip.  It is not uncommon for SL residents in Europe to have Ping Sim times around 150 msec.  Residents farther away (in India or Australia, for example) often have Ping Sim times as high as yours or higher -- and they typically have more teleportation and disconnect problems than most other SL residents.

The other thing that catches my eye is the very high amount of script time where you were standing when you created this report. Scripts are using 19.534 msec of the server time ( 88% of the total frame time).  That's a lot more script time than the average region.  Perhaps there are a lot of breedables there?  There isn't much else demanding server resources, but if there were (for example, if several more people entered the region, or if people started rezzing things), some of those scripts would start to lag or shut down.  It's hard to guess, but that sort of load might be enough to make your own connection less stable than it is already.

As I suggested before, you should try going to other regions in SL to see what your experience is there and, specifically, whether you disconnect as often as you have been.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.