Jump to content
Oct Oyen

Facebook new VR world - Horizon

Recommended Posts

https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/25/facebook-horizon/

It sounds interesting, but it's limited to Oculus platform only. While it looks great on computer monitors, the Oculus screendoor effect is a joy kill. I don't think LL has to worry about it...for now. Google is cooking its own VR platform, every VR company should be worry about that.

Edited by Oct Oyen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Oct Oyen said:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/25/facebook-horizon/

It sounds interesting, but it's limited to Oculus platform only. While it looks great on computer monitors, the Oculus screendoor effect is a joy kill. I don't think LL has to worry about it...for now. Google is cooking its own VR platform, every VR company should be worry about that.

My first impression is it is too cartoony as Selene was saying.

The tools are also the simple inworld build tools SL has which is now probably 20 years old at least because I'm sure the inworld build tools began before SL even opened.

What do you know about the Google one?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

My first impression is it is too cartoony as Selene was saying.

The tools are also the simple inworld build tools SL has which is now probably 20 years old at least because I'm sure the inworld build tools began before SL even opened.

What do you know about the Google one?  

I had the same reaction as yours about Wii's toony style when it first came out. It's not for me personally, but Wii has approved that toony style isn't that important as long as it delivers an immersed experience.

The Toony style is probably optimized for Oculus Quest, a all-in-one VR headset that doesn't need a computer. One of the biggest challenges for all VR worlds is the high-end gaming hardware requirement that is out of budget for most of households. Oculus Quest is a game changer, capable of deliver VR experience without investing in new expensive hardware. It's currently priced at $400, Horizon could take off next year if the price drops to below $300. We shall see.

There was an article a couple years ago about all the tech giants are betting on VR/AR platforms. Google has invested heavily in Magic Leap, it's just matter of time before some kinda G World be introduced to all the G accounts.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny. This is their answer to Second Life, yet they are refusing to take lessons from Sansar and have made it VR-centric?

Second Life need not worry about anything VR related. I hope Facebook is ready for the onslaught of "desktop mode" feature/support requests.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks a lot like Sansar. I can understand the simplified avatars. It's like the Nintendo Mii and the Xbox avatars. Corporate and kid friendly. Facebook is pushing VR because they bought Oculus which is one of their few hardware brands.

Also, Google has made a lot of things that have died so not too worried about them. 

Edited by Bree Giffen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Adam Spark said:

 I hope Facebook is ready for the onslaught of "desktop mode" feature/support requests.

Hi-larious!  

Facebook support?  On which planet would that be?  There is NO Facebook support whatsoever.  None.  Facebook is auto-system only.  Perhaps they expect people working these avatars to be the 'support'.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Hi-larious!  

Facebook support?  On which planet would that be?  There is NO Facebook support whatsoever.  None.  Facebook is auto-system only.  Perhaps they expect people working these avatars to be the 'support'.  

I've not had the greatest experience but they do have support. And either way they are sent feedback/support requests. They will get a ton related to a non-VR version of this. That was all I was trying to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Adam Spark said:

I've not had the greatest experience but they do have support. And either way they are sent feedback/support requests. They will get a ton related to a non-VR version of this. That was all I was trying to say.

When?  Because I tried recently and there isn't anymore.  You can call a phone number and it says something like "Facebook is currently not set up for support, please visit the website".  And, then, when I looked I only found auto-mated add a question 'try' to find an answer kind of thing to which there was no answer I needed.  I needed to speak to someone on the phone period.  When I tried, there was absolutely no support.  I think I tried to send some kind of feedback thing in...I never got an answer.  I gave up.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first thing some creator needs to make is full bodies for those poor people.

 

I have absolutely no interest in it though.  Too cartoony, as mentioned, and it is by FB - ugh!!!

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No interest in this at all. Cartoon avatars, Oculus, and I just don't want to accept Facebook's invasive TOS.

They should never have killed Cloud Party.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

When?  Because I tried recently and there isn't anymore.  You can call a phone number and it says something like "Facebook is currently not set up for support, please visit the website".  And, then, when I looked I only found auto-mated add a question 'try' to find an answer kind of thing to which there was no answer I needed.  I needed to speak to someone on the phone period.  When I tried, there was absolutely no support.  I think I tried to send some kind of feedback thing in...I never got an answer.  I gave up.    

Ofc there's no support --- they think they control everything. I hate when you need to log on to some website or server and the only option is through FB log on. :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Ofc there's no support --- they think they control everything. I hate when you need to log on to some website or server and the only option is through FB log on. :(

Yeah, I know.

But, now that I think of it...perhaps that "Facebook CURRENTLY has no phone support"...is in regards to this VR thingy...the 'currently' I mean.  I wondered what that 'currently' meant.

Also, as Adam stated, there is a feedback thing you can submit...but the reply I got after I submitted my question was "we cannot answer every feedback".  lol

You can Google for Facebook's phone number...that's how I found it and their recorded message to just go to the website.  Facebook needs to have a support system.

But, yes Adam, the desktop thing was funny also.  

And, btw, those are some of the worst graphics I've ever seen.  

 

EDIT:  Yes, according to Googling, it appears Facebook now has various SUPPORTS.  Looks like LIVE CHAT may also be available.  

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=what+is+facebook's+phone+number

Edited by FairreLilette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Ofc there's no support --- they think they control everything. I hate when you need to log on to some website or server and the only option is through FB log on. :(

Websites like that don't get my business. They lose a customer before they ever even gain one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

Yeah, I know.

But, now that I think of it...perhaps that "Facebook CURRENTLY has no phone support"...is in regards to this VR thingy...the 'currently' I mean.  I wondered what that 'currently' meant.

Also, as Adam stated, there is a feedback thing you can submit...but the reply I got after I submitted my question was "we cannot answer every feedback".  lol

You can Google for Facebook's phone number...that's how I found it and their recorded message to just go to the website.  Facebook needs to have a support system.

But, yes Adam, the desktop thing was funny also.  

And, btw, those are some of the worst graphics I've ever seen.  

 

EDIT:  Yes, according to Googling, it appears Facebook now has various SUPPORTS.  Looks like LIVE CHAT may also be available.  

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=what+is+facebook's+phone+number

I've submitted 1 abuse report and 1 problem report in the last two years, so my experience is limited. I submitted them online through FB support. In the abuse report I was notified that the offending page was reviewed and taken down. In the second, I was told that my feedback would be used to improve Facebook. Probably a generic response, But Facebook does receive support tickets on their website at least. You may be right about whether they actually do much about it lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, hipsters need to STOP designing wide-age-ranged MMO's in mobile/indie/toony graphics format.

Stop making worlds look like Fortnite or Mario game worlds on Wii.

Less saturation / pastels and more rustic / earth tones.

Do something different for a change.

Escapism doesn't have to entail ultra-surrealism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The video for it makes it sound like it's a world of ,Weee!!Yay!! whoopie!!

Seriously,It's Facebook and they aren't fooling anybody..

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

remember yo ville ,,,,   i miss my fish game ,,,,, lolol   not on fb for many many years . glad i got rid of it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The avatars in Horizon got no legs.

I'm not going to any virtual world where I can't shop for shoes.

They got no pelvis, either.  So, by definition, no virtual sex games.  Facebook's solution to that problem may be the most draconian ever conceived.  The fact that all the little cartoony half-people are smiling is about as horribly creepy as anything George Orwell ever imagined.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly think Horizon is hitting the right notes when it comes to a VR world. Built-in game mechanics is a big one. That answers the age-old question in SL of "What do I do here?" It has creation tools which I suspect are going to be like Roblox. The simplified avatars are fine too. It is definitely pulling for the younger crowd. Also, the Oculus Quest requires simpler graphics because it can't go below a certain fps or it's barf city.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I honestly think Horizon is hitting the right notes when it comes to a VR world. Built-in game mechanics is a big one. That answers the age-old question in SL of "What do I do here?" It has creation tools which I suspect are going to be like Roblox. The simplified avatars are fine too. It is definitely pulling for the younger crowd. Also, the Oculus Quest requires simpler graphics because it can't go below a certain fps or it's barf city.

I answer that age-old question in SL pretty simply. "You get to decide". Built-in game mechanics are fine if Horizon wants to be categorized as a game, such as WoW or Fortnite. If it truly wants to be, as the article put it, "Facebook's answer to Second Life", and be a virtual world, built-in game mechanics could be a problem.

Ah, simpler graphics or barf city... One more reason to expect that Virtual Reality will be spoken of only in past tense before we know it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...