Wishful Thinking (Last Names)

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Let's fast forward to the future when last names have returned to much fanfare. What will be the first thing you do? Create a new avatar with a last name? Rename yourself? Get married and rename you and your spouse? Finally create an army with the same last name? Tell your friends?

I have an alt that has a "Resident" last name. I think I'd rename her. Might make a few new alts.

• Like 1

I have one alt to whom I might give an actual last name, something other than Resident. As for the rest, their names will remain the same, and their obscurity protracted . I don't use them for significant in-world activities. But I will enjoy seeing what the rest of the community can come up with.

Start the renaming of myself option just so I can LOOK at the choice of last names. If anything looks like a must-have then maybe I'll grab it, otherwise, I'll wait the 90-days or so for the updated lists to appear then rinse and repeat (unless I do grab a must-have name, then I'll likely keep it).

Two of my alts that are Premium do not have last names, so I might rename them.  The other Premium alt does have a last name, but I'm not terribly wild about it, so renaming that one is a possibility.  I'm perfectly happy with my own name, thus no change there.

The other Resident accounts don't merit the cost for Premium, which we already know is going to be a prerequisite for getting a last name.

Maybe. What I would like to do is have me and all my alts with the same last name, though with six avatars to change, the cost may be prohibitive. I am also reluctant to change my own last name; as the owner of a long-running venue, everyone knows me as Lewis Luminos and changing it might be detrimental.

What I wish is that previous last names would be re-opened. If I could give me and all my avatars the same last name as my first one, I would pay for that in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

My sister and I don't have the same last name.  My daughter and I don't either.  That's kinda the way RL works for a lot of people.  My alts in SL are used to it too. The only one of them that complains is the one with the regrettably dumb first name, but he hasn't logged on in ages ( because, as I admitted earlier, I can't remember his password).  Tough on him.   ;) 

I will change my own last name eventually, whenever something suitable pops up on the list. I don't like my last name much. But I wouldn't change just for the sake of it; it would have to be a name with some sort of significance to me.

I will certainly keep my first name as Matty though.

Edited by Matty Luminos

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

My sister and I don't have the same last name.  My daughter and I don't either.  That's kinda the way RL works for a lot of people.  My alts in SL are used to it too. The only one of them that complains is the one with the regrettably dumb first name, but he hasn't logged on in ages ( because, as I admitted earlier, I can't remember his password).  Tough on him.   ;) 

You can file a support ticket and get him back.  You probably know this already, but I say it for others.

2 minutes ago, Erwin Solo said:

You can file a support ticket and get him back.  You probably know this already, but I say it for others.

Thank you.  I do know that indeed, and if I really cared about that alt, I would do that.  The unspoken truth is that I haven't had much use for him in quite a while, so I have been happy to let him languish. Some alts just aren't worth the trouble .  🙂

8 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Thank you.  I do know that indeed, and if I really cared about that alt, I would do that.  The unspoken truth is that I haven't had much use for him in quite a while, so I have been happy to let him languish. Some alts just aren't worth the trouble .  🙂

I bet you can put an outfit on him and an AO, and he'd be 10 times a better wingman than Animesh!

4 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Sit back with some popcorn and watch. I like my name. My alts like their names (well, except for one, but he doesn't count because I can't remember his password anyway). I'm not changing a thing.

I think uh...adding in that missing L and N hmm ROLLING LOON. Gives a whole new spin on things 😅

• Haha 2

Surely it would be easier to allow the account name to be hidden in world, and just show your selected display name???

What am I missing?

Who cares if avis have duplicate display names?? There are duplicate names in RL.  Robin Hood was one of my teachers.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Surely it would be easier to allow the account name to be hidden in world, and just show your selected display name???

What am I missing?

Who cares if avis have duplicate display names?? There are duplicate names in RL.  Robin Hood was one of my teachers.

The owner of the Truth hair store is named "Truth Hawks." If usernames were hidden and duplicate display names are allowed, what would prevent someone else from calling themselves "Truth Hawks" and selling imitation Truth hair?

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.