Rigging to a MESH avatar

Fanta UwU

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

SO!

To start off, I am making a bodysuit for the Signature Alice mesh body. Since it’s a new body I like quite a bit, want clothing, sell clothing, etc.

I got the Dev Kit, but I replaced the armature/pose with the workbench on one of Avastar’s blog post. (NOT the plugin you buy). The devkit armature didn’t work, so thats why. I tried to bento skeleton but I couldn’t seem to get the grid to recognize the skin weights. So I’m trying with the default, non-bento armature. 

I used the weight transfer option when attaching the bodysuit to the pose/armature as well. Which makes it rigged perfectly to how I want it to be so far.

NOW. When I upload to the beta grid to test, everything is fine...

BUT. It is not deformed to the Signature Alice mesh body (which I have on the file for reference). It looks more deformed for the classic avatar?

I was wondering if anyone who has dealt with rigging clothes to a mesh body has any tips or tricks to deal with this? 

I am using Blender 2.8 (which so far does the same thing as 2.79 and honestly has an easier UI than 2.79). I do NOT have the Avastar plugin (don’t plan on having it anytime soon). I am using a default, non-bento skeleton (couldn’t get the bento skin weights recognized).

And I am a complete beginner at this. XD I literally started less than a week ago. 

My Process

———

Rig bodysuit to armature using Armature Deform with Weight (something)

Rigged perfectly fine. 

Export as DAE file and choosing the dropdown option for SL+OpenWorld rigged

Upload (all good so far yepperz)

Wear

Rigged good...

..Not deformed to mesh body (Signature Alice)...

TLDR: I got a mesh body devkit (Alice Signature) switched armature to default non bento skeleton because the devkit one wasn’t recognized as well as the bento skeleton, rigged it well (great even if I say so), upload normal with all the skin weight checkbox... but it isn’t deformed to the meshbody from the devkit. So I’m asking how to get it where it is scaled and deformed to the mesh body. Do not have Avastar and using Blender 2.8 btw. 

Edited by Muiregwen

UPDATE: 

I got it to rig with the Signature Alice devkit skeleton that IS bento. I just couldn’t do automatic weights resulting in a TON of work in weighting. 

BUT I would still love some help on getting it sized and rigged specifically for a mesh body easily and quickly!

My plan is to have clothing available on MP (maybe in-world eventually!) for this mesh body but I also want to include other bodies (particularly Maitreya and I do have a devkit although it is the bootleg kind... shhhh). So, again, any way to rig or scale it easily and quickly to fit a mesh body other than having to do it all by hand and testing it hundreds if not thousands of times?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Muiregwen said:

My plan is to have clothing available on MP (maybe in-world eventually!) for this mesh body but I also want to include other bodies (particularly Maitreya and I do have a devkit although it is the bootleg kind... shhhh). So, again, any way to rig or scale it easily and quickly to fit a mesh body other than having to do it all by hand and testing it hundreds if not thousands of times?

... you just admitted to ripping content ...

Edited by Kyrah Abattoir

Ripping content??? No, this is just some file I found on some video for it actually. I never used it though. 
 I can see how it is ripping content but I wasn’t one who personally did it. But again, I never used it or figured it out. 
But the devkit for Alice Signature IS the official one though I am having trouble to get it to fit the actual Alice body in-world since I do have it. 

On the topic of the ‘bootleg’ Maitreya devkit, it was, again, a file I found attached to a Youtube video. So technically I didn’t rip but I did... ‘support’ it in a way... >.< Agh. Sorry about that!

Edited by Muiregwen

3 hours ago, Muiregwen said:

(particularly Maitreya and I do have a devkit although it is the bootleg kind... shhhh)

So your products will likely be crappola-quality because the bootleg version of all the dev kits are known to be a flawed versions? Thanks for the heads-up to avoid anything you create. :)

Y’all are terrible. Now he’s back peddling and afraid.

Besides you using the bootleg version of the Maitreya kit.....

There’s quite a few gotchas involved in rigging without avastar. So much so, most people just get avastar.

So I know you’re using blender 2.8 and it’s easier for you so far, but you might have to roll back to 2.79 until avastar for 2.8 comes out. It’s either that, or explore some other options as far as rigging. You’re using a kit that is very new, a version of blender that is also very new and you’re kind of new to all of this?

roll back to 2.79, install avastar and try it that way. Also join the avastar group in-world. 

Thank you Jane.

I hadn't plan on SELLING anything from using that kit, I just needed something to play around with and at the time I didn't have a store or anything. So I couldn't exactly apply... Now that I have a official devkit, although not Maitreya, I can create stuff now so that I CAN apply for more kits. But oh well. 

In terms of rigging, I found the Avastar fitmesh skeleton found here worked the best: http://blog.machinimatrix.org/fitted_mesh_survival_kit/

Other than tweaking in weighting when doing a transfer from the weighted body (as some of the very top vertices are stretched a bit), it is rigged perfectly. I found that using it, I can size it how it needs to be with the devkit body as a reference for the sizing! So all is going well so far! :D 

The bodysuit in question! : https://gyazo.com/1cf1fb81701a2034ed572464fc639d77

Once I had it rigged and weighted, then I'll start adding embellishments~

Edited by Muiregwen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.