What’s Next for Linden Lab? -Bakes on mesh sub topic

Cam Mode

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1642 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Oh good I thought - an official post explaining BOM - because I do not understand it.

Well, I don't understand this video at all. The voice is very hard for me to follow, I guess I need a $125  applier? The free is no good it advises. OK. I gave up 5 minutes into it to be honest- is this REALLY the sanctioned best explanation?

All that time and money spent and this is the product?

I had thought BOM made dressing an avatar easier and opened mesh bodies to wearing old systems clothes. And that it removed the need for appliers.

Is there a concise clear explanation elsewhere? Thanks.

Added : the video

Edited by Cam Mode

7 minutes ago, Cam Mode said:

Slink, which is the only mesh body I know of that has updated completely to BoM at this point, has a few reasonably good explanatory pages on the subject on their site.

Start maybe with this FAQ:

https://slinkstyle.com/slink-redux-and-bakes-on-mesh-faq/

Maybe if you had unlimited resources to buy all the pieces and parts this could be exciting. While I'm sure there's a bunch of free stuff that will already work but free stuff is generally worth what you paid for it. It's not going to work with a lot of the stuff you have without a lot of updates for those products which will take time. Maybe it will be more useful in a year and a half - IDK. So, hooray BoM, Animesh, lower mainland costs, double mainland tier and Linden Homes improvements (for premium users) is that fifteen yet? 

5 hours ago, Cam Mode said:

I guess I need a $125  applier? The free is no good it advises.

Hopefully this post doesn't confuse the issue, because I'm typing it in the 10 minutes that I have while scarfing down breakfast prior to leaving for work.

It depends which mesh head and body you use. Many of the bigger brand mesh bodies have now updated to BOM, and most of the bigger brand mesh heads have either updated to BOM or are giving away free BOM relays specific to their products, either in their groups or stores. However, most of those relays still require Omega to initialise them, so you'll still need the relevant Omega relay for your mesh body parts (which most people probably have anyway these days).

What those relays do is apply the BOM bake textures to the relevant body part - just like any other applier - so that BOM works on them. To go back to not using BOM you just re-apply your original skin appliers and the BOM capability will be removed. (To see what I mean, just use one of them when you're in a viewer that doesn't yet support BOM.)

For anyone whose mesh body parts haven't yet updated or offered their own relays, the L$125 relay is the second variant of the 'Omega workaround', and it will work on any mesh body or head that is Omega-compatible. As before, your body parts will need to have Omega installed (via their relevant Omega installer) or you'll need to be wearing the Omega relay for that brand while you use the L$125 relay.

The "free is no good" refers to the older version of the 'Omega Workaround' which is free in the Omega Solutions store. That workaround relay still tries to utilise the older bake textures that LL were using in the early stages of BOM testing. These textures have since updated, which is why that HUD no longer works.

I wrote a very basic (as in: my inital impressions after enduring the LL viewer for long enough to try it out) guide to BOM here. I should really update it a bit, since a bit has changed since then (it was written when the L$125 relay was the only thing available), but I won't do that until Firestorm has released a BOM update.

And now I need to leg it out of the door for work!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Slink, which is the only mesh body I know of that has updated completely to BoM at this point, has a few reasonably good explanatory pages on the subject on their site.

Start maybe with this FAQ:

https://slinkstyle.com/slink-redux-and-bakes-on-mesh-faq/

All three Signature bodies are fully BOM-ready also; Gianni, Geralt and Alice.  Others will follow, once they do, spending money on an applier will not be necessary.

No rush though, there's no point switching until Firestorm updates with BoM; until then, 90% of the userbase won't be able to see it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cam Mode said:

Oh good I thought - an official post explaining BOM - because I do not understand it.

Well, I don't understand this video at all. The voice is very hard for me to follow, I guess I need a $125  applier? The free is no good it advises. OK. I gave up 5 minutes into it to be honest- is this REALLY the sanctioned best explanation?

All that time and money spent and this is the product?

I had thought BOM made dressing an avatar easier and opened mesh bodies to wearing old systems clothes. And that it removed the need for appliers.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=GSyLXY6gOoXcswW5yJeYAw&q=bakes+on+mesh+second+life&oq=bakes+on+mesh+second+life&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0j0i22i10i30.2166.7965..8273...4.0..0.225.3102.10j18j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i131j0i10j0i22i30j0i13j0i13i10i30j0i8i13i10i30.fc3xtHSVOVc&ved=0ahUKEwjOkLzNzevkAhUF7qwKHTnkBTMQ4dUDCAc&uact=5

9 hours ago, Cam Mode said:

Yeah, it will. In fact, if your mesh body has already updated, it already does these things (and more, see below), but to try it out with old mesh bodies that aren't (yet?) ready for BoM, there's that funky applier step.

Just in passing: to perform this patch to obsolete mesh body, you will need the ability to use Omega appliers, so that may be an add-on for some of the more crippled old mesh avatars, but you can actually roll your own Omega applier to paint the avatar with the BoM textures. It's quite easy if you're interested in learning about Omega appliers, but there's not much reason to know about them anymore, so maybe it's worth fifty cents to just never think about it.

You also don't have to use the Linden viewer for this anymore. Both Catznip and Firestorm have beta releases that support BoM now, and some of the other TPVs are supposedly live with the feature. Until there's more adoption, though, your avatar will look clownish to those who are still running the old versions. Of course that's a feature for those who delight in tech-shaming the laggards and Luddites. 

Why do you want BoM? Here's my list:

• Much lower complexity than  "onion-skin" layers of pre-BoM mesh avatars (to me, this is actually the least significant feature but YMMV)
  • No more forgotten applier-applied textures unseen in an outfit (instead good ol' tattoos, skins, etc are right there in the outfit)
  • No more funky blended-alpha effects (no plaintive support cries when makeup layers stack wrong, advanced lighting messes up colors, etc.)
  • Alpha masks replace buggy auto-alpha scripts and lag-susceptible alpha-cuts HUDs and complex, rigid alpha geometry
  • Some old system-avatar texture assets are useful again (but many look outdated, textured for when baking didn't support 1024 resolution)
Edited by Qie Niangao
one "though" is enough
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, anna2358 said:

Until Firestorm updates it is all a waste of space anyway.  Who wants to walk about looking like an advert for colored toilet paper to everyone else?  I am NOT using the SL Viewer, not for all the Bakes in China.

I do this. It's a great conversation starter. Plus it gets people to realize that there are other good TPVs out there. 😛

9 hours ago, anna2358 said:

not for all the Bakes in China

You have no idea what you're missing because the bakes in China are better than all other bakes in the universe. Thank you for targeting my culture. :|

5 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

you can actually roll your own Omega applier to paint the avatar with the BoM textures [...]

Absolutely. Creating an Omega applier is drop-dead simple, basically just copying the UUID of a texture into a script = done.

Until there's more adoption, though [...]

This. This is why I'm not in any hurry to jump on the bandwagon, no matter the viewer abilities. The primary reason is the cost of the transition, though I'm fortunate that I've been in SL a few days longer than most, so I still have all that system-layered stuff, there is the question of whether creators of newer-since-mesh items will "update" or not (Applier-only items with system-layer items added for redelivery - which should be drop-dead simple and take only seconds to do)

No more funky blended-alpha effects (no plaintive support cries when makeup layers stack wrong, advanced lighting messes up colors, etc.)

Except for using old system layered outfits I loved before mesh came along, this is probably the one and only feature I'm looking for and, for me, it's really not very high priority.

Onion-skin mesh anything that uses onion-skin layers will be around for very long time to come.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

On 9/25/2019 at 5:07 PM, Alyona Su said:

You have no idea what you're missing because the bakes in China are better than all other bakes in the universe. Thank you for targeting my culture. :|

It's a play on the well known jocular phrase 'for all the tea in China', which is praise for Chinese Tea.  There was no intention to criticise your culture.  You can retaliate with a joke about the sunshine in the UK if you like.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, anna2358 said:

It's a play on the well known jocular phrase 'for all the tea in China', which is praise for Chinese Tea.  There was no intention to criticise your culture.  You can retaliate with a joke about the sunshine in the UK if you like.

I got the allusion the first time. I thought it was kind of obvious.  Good on you.  

4 hours ago, anna2358 said:

I know the "tea" phrase and now I get it. Though I'm not so sure it is that well known, so the play on it doesn't come across. Well, unless you're an old person, I suppose. :P I am year of the Fire Tiger, so sometimes there are phrases I see posted here that are head-scratchers for me.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I know the "tea" phrase and now I get it. Though I'm not so sure it is that well known, so the play on it doesn't come across. Well, unless you're an old person, I suppose. :P I am year of the Fire Tiger, so sometimes there are phrases I see posted here that are head-scratchers for me.

ad hominem

17 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I'm a wood pig myself...  So you have the years on me.😋

Until it is a simple quick click and wear I don't give a hoot about this. If it is too complicated or takes more than a click or two it will go over peoples heads and be ignored. We all got frustrated enough trying to learn the Catwa heads and stuff. Still leaves my mind whirling. Also been patiently waiting for the sky to be fixed and those damn last names to return. I gave up months ago on the new Linden Homes.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1642 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.