Jump to content
  • 0
Roxy9999

New Glare on my Avi Skin & Hair

Question

I am having having an issue with glare patches on my avi's hair, face and skin, especially a patch in between my breasts & upwards in a V shape.  The glare issue is still there when I take off my Catwa Head Light.  I am not wearing any other lighting.  It gets worse when I try to use my LumiPro Lighting  for picture taking.  I have spent a lot of time moving around the LumiPro Lights and can't find a position to place them in that does not increase the glare, except of course if the lights are shining away from me.  But without LumiPro lights, there is a glare issue so I am thinking Lumipro settings is not the cause.  I wear a Maitreya body and have tried turning the shine and glossiness off.  I use the Firestorm viewer and all the settings in Preferences, Graphics seem to be set at those I have been using for years.  I have tried various Quality settings in that menu and the glare remains.  It even happens with the basic Midday Light, so I don't think it is an Windlight selection issue.   I have tried going to a variety of sims and have the same issue at them all so it does not seem to be a specific environment problem.  The glare is there even if I take off all my clothes, hair and jewelry.  Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the new glare issue I am experiencing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0
4 hours ago, Roxy9999 said:

 Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the new glare issue I am experiencing?

Yes, but a silly one: Have you checked the brightness and contrast settings of your screen?
Well, to help others helping you, you could add a few pics. Then we know how the glare looks like, at least.

Almost forgot. Check, if there is a gamma slider in the graphics settings.

Edited by Resi Pfeffer
added some more words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Have you worn anything that changed the specular map of the skin?

Some clothes and tats use a specular map. The appliers put them on. But, they generally do not provide a way to take them off. Try clearing your bodies 'effects' via the body's HUD to clear any normal or specular maps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Have you worn anything that changed the specular map of the skin?

Some clothes and tats use a specular map. The appliers put them on. But, they generally do not provide a way to take them off. Try clearing your bodies 'effects' via the body's HUD to clear any normal or specular maps.

Hi Nalates, thanks for the response.  I am not sure how to clear my body's effects to clear these normal or specular maps.  I wear a Maitreya body.  Would the "Clear All Layers" option do this?  Would I also have to do something similiar with my Catwa head?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 9/24/2019 at 12:39 AM, Resi Pfeffer said:

Yes, but a silly one: Have you checked the brightness and contrast settings of your screen?
Well, to help others helping you, you could add a few pics. Then we know how the glare looks like, at least.

Almost forgot. Check, if there is a gamma slider in the graphics settings.

Thank you for the reply, Resi.  It is only my avatar that is having the glare issues.  When I look at other avatars, they look fine.  I have not changed any monitor graphics settings recently that might have caused this new issue in SL for me.  I have posted a few pictures below.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
14 hours ago, Roxy9999 said:

Hi Nalates, thanks for the response.  I am not sure how to clear my body's effects to clear these normal or specular maps.  I wear a Maitreya body.  Would the "Clear All Layers" option do this?  Would I also have to do something similiar with my Catwa head?

I don't have Maitreya. I assume that is what the clear layers is for.

Mesh heads have similar options.

When you want to experiment with the HUD or anything else affecting your body, make a copy of the body. Experiment on the copy. Saves having to figure out how to UNDO experiments.

Looking at the pictures I wonder of you are wearing any face-lights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
17 hours ago, Roxy9999 said:

 

SL Roxy Glare Sept 24 2019_011.jpg

in this pic it seems to me that you might be wearing a body/face light attachment

edit: I realise that you said you are not but is worth a second check

another thing that was mentioned in other thread was that scripted HUD texture changes weren't being properly applied to some mesh parts.  The fix for that person was a region restart

Edited by Mollymews

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, Mollymews said:

in this pic it seems to me that you might be wearing a body/face light attachment

edit: I realise that you said you are not but is worth a second check

another thing that was mentioned in other thread was that scripted HUD texture changes weren't being properly applied to some mesh parts.  The fix for that person was a region restart

In this particular photo I am wearing LumiPro Lighting for the photo but not my regular face light.  No matter how I pointed the lights, there still was the glare patch in between my breasts and on my face.  I included this photo to show the breast glare.  I have gotten a similar glare to varying degrees with absolutely no lights on me at all.  In the other photo of my head I am wearing no lighting of any kind.

Perhaps it is the application of the scripted hud textures, I am not sure.  I don't own my own land so can't do a region restart.  However, the issue has been occurring for weeks and on many different sims.  Thanks for your reply.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 hours ago, Mollymews said:

in this pic it seems to me that you might be wearing a body/face light attachment

edit: I realise that you said you are not but is worth a second check

Some evil creators will build horrific face-lights into the HAIR. Just saying. @Roxy9999 - check the HUD for body shine (I think that's what it's called) - it may be called gloss. Set that to ZERO. I don't remember if Maitreya has Materials or not (I prefer my Belleza and it does) - if it does, try setting that to ZERO also. Then try removing all attachments (get nekkid) including HAIR - then check again through different lighting times-of-day.

Edited by Alyona Su

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Check for facelights that are part of your hair or other attachments by hitting CTRL+ALT+T.  Then look for little red spheres hovering about in front of you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 9/26/2019 at 4:44 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

Check for facelights that are part of your hair or other attachments by hitting CTRL+ALT+T.  Then look for little red spheres hovering about in front of you.

I have done as you suggested and found that I have a red square attached to my ear.  It is there even when I remove all my clothes, hair and jewelry.  I am not wearing my Catwa Head Face Light.  When I look at the list of the items I am wearing, there are no face lights listed.  Why is this red box attached to my ear and how can I get rid of it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 9/26/2019 at 7:28 AM, Alyona Su said:

Some evil creators will build horrific face-lights into the HAIR. Just saying. @Roxy9999 - check the HUD for body shine (I think that's what it's called) - it may be called gloss. Set that to ZERO. I don't remember if Maitreya has Materials or not (I prefer my Belleza and it does) - if it does, try setting that to ZERO also. Then try removing all attachments (get nekkid) including HAIR - then check again through different lighting times-of-day.

I have put the Shine and Glossiness on my Maitreya hud to zero.  I can't find a Materials option on it.  I tried removing everything besides my Maitreya body and Catwa Head.  The problem still is there.  But I have found a red box attached to my ear by hitting CTRL+ALT+T as suggested by Lindal Kidd.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I don't think it's the box next to your ear, but if you've removed EVERY attachment (including HUDs) except your head and the body mesh, you know what must happen now, right?

OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!

If there's still a box, I'll be surprised, but either way it will be interesting to know if the problem persists without the head adding complications.

(We can also turn on light emitter debugging, but the display is so fantastically confusing it's kind of a last resort.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

To inspect the mysterious red box...

Right click the box, select Edit.  If more than the box becomes highlighted, check "Edit Linked" in the Object tab of the Edit window, then click the red box again.  Look in the General tab to see the prim's name.  Look in the Features tab to see if it is emitting light.  If it is, simply un-check the "Light" box in the Features tab.  This will fix the problem, unless the object doesn't allow you to modify it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
16 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

To inspect the mysterious red box...

Right click the box, select Edit.  If more than the box becomes highlighted, check "Edit Linked" in the Object tab of the Edit window, then click the red box again.  Look in the General tab to see the prim's name.  Look in the Features tab to see if it is emitting light.  If it is, simply un-check the "Light" box in the Features tab.  This will fix the problem, unless the object doesn't allow you to modify it.

I have done as you suggested.  The only object that comes up is the Catwa Ears.  Light is not checked under features. It is funny that the red box is only over one of the 2 ears.  The 2 ears appear to be one object together. When I choose Edit Linked and click on the one ear with the red box again, only that ear is selected rather than the 2 of them.  There is no modify allowed on the ears. Perhaps for some reason I am not able to select the box?  I have tried quite a few times and all the comes up is the ears. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
20 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I don't think it's the box next to your ear, but if you've removed EVERY attachment (including HUDs) except your head and the body mesh, you know what must happen now, right?

OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!

If there's still a box, I'll be surprised, but either way it will be interesting to know if the problem persists without the head adding complications.

(We can also turn on light emitter debugging, but the display is so fantastically confusing it's kind of a last resort.)

I tried removing the Catwa head.  The red box does not exist on the ear of the Classic head.  When I put the Catwa head back on, the red box also appears on the ear again.  Maybe this is a question for the creator of the Catwa head as to whether the red box should exist on the ear or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, Roxy9999 said:

I tried removing the Catwa head.  The red box does not exist on the ear of the Classic head.  When I put the Catwa head back on, the red box also appears on the ear again.  Maybe this is a question for the creator of the Catwa head as to whether the red box should exist on the ear or not.

often mesh designers will link the mesh parts to a standard prim. It helps to be able to pick the mesh with our mouse (is a quirk of the system).  I don't have that head but normally when a prim is linked then its usually positioned to be inside the mesh when rezzed.  It depends on the attachment point tho were it ends up

having floating transparent box prims floating about myself I find a little bit disconcerting. I cant see them normally but I k.n.o.w they are there! So what I do is try attaching to different points until the prim boxes are inside me

as for the glare problem, all I can suggest is use the LL viewer out of the box, set to Midday, start with No Shadows. Set all the HUD settings to no Shine etc.  If you still getting the glare then lower the graphics, or increase until the glare appears. At some setting it should disappear. At which time you will be better informed as to what the cause might be

when you are able to narrow down the settings to when the glare appears, then we can maybe help to identify why this is happening

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

On the Catwa Head hud, I chose Reset All.  By doing this, the red box on the ear is now gone.  However the mask like lighting around my eyes and tapering down towards my lip area is still there.  Attached is a photo of the Catwa head right after I Reset All.  There is no makeup and no skin applied. Also the Catwa Face Light is not worn in this photo.   I don't believe my head used to be like this.  Not sure if it is the head or some mysterious lighting source shining on it.

SL Roxy Glare Sept 29 2019_001.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 minutes ago, Roxy9999 said:

On the Catwa Head hud, I chose Reset All.  By doing this, the red box on the ear is now gone.  However the mask like lighting around my eyes and tapering down towards my lip area is still there.  Attached is a photo of the Catwa head right after I Reset All.  There is no makeup and no skin applied. Also the Catwa Face Light is not worn in this photo.   I don't believe my head used to be like this.  Not sure if it is the head or some mysterious lighting source shining on it.

SL Roxy Glare Sept 29 2019_001.jpg

it looks to me you have shadows enabled, otherwise your head wouldn't throw a dark shadow over your neck/chest, what happens if you turn those off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
14 minutes ago, Roxy9999 said:

On the Catwa Head hud, I chose Reset All.  By doing this, the red box on the ear is now gone.  However the mask like lighting around my eyes and tapering down towards my lip area is still there.  Attached is a photo of the Catwa head right after I Reset All.  There is no makeup and no skin applied. Also the Catwa Face Light is not worn in this photo.   I don't believe my head used to be like this.  Not sure if it is the head or some mysterious lighting source shining on it.

SL Roxy Glare Sept 29 2019_001.jpg

lol, the red box on the ear was gone but now it is back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

it looks to me you have shadows enabled, otherwise your head wouldn't throw a dark shadow over your neck/chest, what happens if you turn those off?

Yes, In Preferences Graphics Shadows were set to Sun, Moon & Projectors.  I have now changed it to None.  The dark shadow on my neck and Shoulders from this photo is now gone with the new Shadows setting.  However, the issue on the face remains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Honestly, the lighting on your face looks like what's normal with certain windlight settings, including the default midday.
Is your windlight set to midday on your images?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
15 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Honestly, the lighting on your face looks like what's normal with certain windlight settings, including the default midday.
Is your windlight set to midday on your images?

Yes it is on the Midday windlight.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...