Where do you script in world?

Benjamin Opel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

depends if I have enough LI to rez the object containing the script(s) on my parcel.  If I can't then sandbox

when is just a script in a single prim then sometimes I will attach to it to my screen as a HUD. Have to remember to detach/reattach periodically to make sure that my edits are saved properly when do this

If what I'm working on is going to move objects hither and thither or chatter out large amounts of diagnostics I go to a premium sandbox, it would be unfair of me to inflict the odd scripting typo or senior brain-fade moment on parcel neighbours. (When you no longer have access to a region console it's not possible to catch an object that's shot off into an adjacent parcel and return it or shut it down).

3 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I've tried the LS Editor as a way of scripting off-world but it just doesn't work for the majority of my projects as without prims to be pushed around or coloured I have no idea of what I'm doing is the right thing.

Yes, that's often the case.  The distinction between "in-world" and "off-world" is a bit fuzzy, though. When I am developing a script -- even one that will need to move a lot of things around -- I can still do much of the basic logical framework in Sublime Text before logging in to SL.  Once I get to the point where I have to start testing things, or as I start to doubt whether I have coded something backwards, then I will need to find a quiet spot in world to try it out.  I can generally lay out the logical structure of my scripts without needing visual confirmation. The place where it starts to get fuzzy is that I often do my "off-world" scripting while my av is parked somewhere in world, like Isaac Newton contemplating an apple tree. So, am I in world or not? Does being in SL help my scripting even if I am not using my script to do something in world?  Do the little side experiments that I do to verify which way a door swings count, even if I'm not doing the experiments with the script I am developing?

3 hours ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

that's when I lurk in my inworld workshop finding all the ways I broke it when I thought I was being clever...

:)  So apropos today, thank you.  I wasted almost two hours this morning trying to chase down what I thought was a race condition and instead turned out to be a disagreement between two scripts sending conflicting link messages.  Some dumb mistakes can't be discovered until you finally get in world to see whether all the parts play nicely together.  So much for clever scripting.

Edited by Rolig Loon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.