Limited Sales vending Script

Tootsie OHare

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am searching for a script that will let me set a limited amount of items to be sold, the date and time the vendor activates, (the event start), and would like to have the date and time in hover over the vendor once the event starts the hover would change to the count down how of how many items have been sold so customers can see how many are left. Price would be set by the designer in the description as they wont have mod rights to the script. Also I don't want the script to delete the item in the vendor but it would be ok if it deleted itself when the last item has sold. I have minimal scripting experience myself except for changing things within the script and I need the script full perm. I have searched MP and a few LSL libraries. I am willing to pay but not much as I don't have the ability to upload Ls. A reasonable price I could afford is 1k for the script full perm. I will not be selling the script and the designers will be using it with no permissions at all and the script will hopefully delete after it has sold the amount of items I have preset it to sell.

I doubt that you will be able to attract a scripter to write something like that for as little as L$1000.  That's about $4 US, enough to pay for maybe 20 minutes of a scripter's time.  You might try asking in the InWorld Employment forum, though, or see what's available in script libraries in world or on the web that might be adapted.  The Scripting Forum is not the place to look.

47 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I doubt that you will be able to attract a scripter to write something like that for as little as L$1000.  That's about $4 US, enough to pay for maybe 20 minutes of a scripter's time.  You might try asking in the InWorld Employment forum, though, or see what's available in script libraries in world or on the web that might be adapted.  The Scripting Forum is not the place to look.

Long ago, I consulted for a client who'd spent entirely too much money on a "professional web development firm". They had summer interns on their staff, working for nothing, who were being billed out at $150/hr. L$1000 would buy 96 seconds of that free intern's time... or all of it?

12 hours ago, Tootsie OHare said:

Yes I know it was a lot to ask for the price. I was aiming more for a scripting hobbyist that would do it just to be nice and not someone who relies on it as an income and I found someone who's is going to do it for me.

1000L is a totally fair price, I hired a scripter to create special "L$ Prize" with very specific functions, he knocked it out in a couple hours and only wanted 500L. I was so impressed I gave him 1000L. Then when I played with it and was even further impressed I sent him another 1000L. The script is THAT good. He says he simply loves scripting and does it for the fun of it. I don't have his name immediately on hand, though if you IM me in world (not friendship - but actually IM me) and in the IM include the link to this thread then I will look up his name and pass it to you, then you can chat with him. I don't know that he'll do it for your willing-to-pay price as your requirement seem a little more detailed. But you can work together.

The IM is to remind me because my IMs go to email. Meaning when I do get home, I'll see the email and go "Oh, yeah, let me do that now". This is why I need to to say "I'm the one looking for a scripter to make a sales vendor" LOL :)

• Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 10:41 AM, Tootsie OHare said:

I am searching for a script that will let me set a limited amount of items to be sold, the date and time the vendor activates, (the event start), and would like to have the date and time in hover over the vendor once the event starts the hover would change to the count down how of how many items have been sold so customers can see how many are left. Price would be set by the designer in the description as they wont have mod rights to the script. Also I don't want the script to delete the item in the vendor but it would be ok if it deleted itself when the last item has sold. I have minimal scripting experience myself except for changing things within the script and I need the script full perm. I have searched MP and a few LSL libraries. I am willing to pay but not much as I don't have the ability to upload Ls. A reasonable price I could afford is 1k for the script full perm. I will not be selling the script and the designers will be using it with no permissions at all and the script will hopefully delete after it has sold the amount of items I have preset it to sell.

You could get around having to use a script by putting x copies of the product (packaged in no copy boxes) in the vendor object, rezzing it at the start of the event and deleting at the end of the event.  It would require very little effort to set up and maintain and it would save you the cost of a custom script.

Edited by Yingzi Xue

On 9/22/2019 at 10:41 AM, Tootsie OHare said:

Also I don't want the script to delete the item in the vendor but it would be ok if it deleted itself when the last item has sold.

3 hours ago, Erwin Solo said:

Use http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Money  to accumulate the total amount received, and llDie() when total received is greater than or equal to N x Price. 

Is it really intended that the script delete the whole vendor (including the items inside) as llDie would do, or should the script merely delete itself and leave the vendor object rezzed with the items inside and maybe some self-congratulatory hovertext?

(Either way, it's a trivial script, but this is why even the simplest custom scripts can cost a bit: It's not the scripting, it's the requirements gathering. And always leave plenty of time to test, to make sure it matches expectations.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Is it really intended that the script delete the whole vendor (including the items inside) as llDie would do, or should the script merely delete itself and leave the vendor object rezzed with the items inside and maybe some self-congratulatory hovertext?

(Either way, it's a trivial script, but this is why even the simplest custom scripts can cost a bit: It's not the scripting, it's the requirements gathering. And always leave plenty of time to test, to make sure it matches expectations.)

Or Original Poster could take an opensource tip script and modify it, thus seeing functional scripts that take L$ and do things.

Then Original Poster could learn the script-delete technique from an open source Scrubber script that deletes its own script. 

If one doesn't know scripting, it can help to start by diving deeper into modifying existing scripts.   

It is a trivial script, I agree, and a good opportunity for Original Poster to dive in and learn.  

The problem with doing it for hire, is the long process of the customer discovering what they really want, and coaxing them through all the modifications in an agile development process. That's all very time consuming.  10 minutes to write the script.  One week meeting with the customer daily for half an hour to do modifications as they discover what they want, or as they circle back to the real customer that's pay them 10x for it.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

agree. Is the customer's expectations that cost time/money.  Trivially this script can be written in about 20 lines of code as proposed in the OP requirements

then as can happen the customer on receiving what was asked for, raises other matters not previously raised

or as is more often the case the programmer will spend time on writing a spec from the OP provide requirements, on which they and the customer can agree.  The time to code, relative to prepping the req/spec is minor.  In this case the 20 or so lines of code can be typed out in less than 10 minutes  

• Like 2

Based on the OP description, it appears the OP wants to resell Gacha items (that are usually no-copy) - but only during a specific time period, so deleting the vendor itself with contents would not be good (because any remaining unsold items would be lost forever.) That's just my theory. Of course, the best way is most often the simplest way: Use any regular vendor, set it out at the begin of said event, pick it up at the end of said event. Done. OP seems to be looking for a fire-and-forget option.

Edited by Alyona Su

• 2 weeks later...

I am not wanting to sell gacha items, its for an event where each designer in the event only sells 10 of their items during the event its a limited 10 event, I DO NOT want the script or vendor to delete I think that got miss read as well as I think it was missed when I posted that I had found someone who is going to make the script for the price i can afford :D ty every for your input

• Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 9:20 AM, Alyona Su said:

1000L is a totally fair price, I hired a scripter to create special "L$ Prize" with very specific functions, he knocked it out in a couple hours and only wanted 500L. I was so impressed I gave him 1000L. Then when I played with it and was even further impressed I sent him another 1000L. The script is THAT good. He says he simply loves scripting and does it for the fun of it. I don't have his name immediately on hand, though if you IM me in world (not friendship - but actually IM me) and in the IM include the link to this thread then I will look up his name and pass it to you, then you can chat with him. I don't know that he'll do it for your willing-to-pay price as your requirement seem a little more detailed. But you can work together.

The IM is to remind me because my IMs go to email. Meaning when I do get home, I'll see the email and go "Oh, yeah, let me do that now". This is why I need to to say "I'm the one looking for a scripter to make a sales vendor" LOL :)

Thank you I have found someone but if they end up not being able to do it I will find you inworld :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.