Mesh - Seriously is it even worth the trouble???

Mattress Runningbear

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 9/23/2019 at 2:28 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

And yes...like you, many of us wonder at times if mesh is worth it.  Getting dressed used to be SO much simpler!

I find outfits to help tremendously, and make it pretty simple. I usually spend considerable time putting one together, but after that, I can change in seconds. I have hundreds of them.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 8:44 PM, Mattress Runningbear said:

You need mesh they said. It will make you look better they said.

I have been in and out of secondlife for years, I heard of this amazing thing called mesh thats apparently meant to change the way you look massively. I finally caved and got it.

What....the....hell?

I have spent all weekend just trying to get dressed. I have never know such a fiddly complicated system in all my life! I found that I had a mesh shirt already, popped it on. Oh now my skin poking through. Took me a few hours of googling, trying things, before I finally worked out how to fix that in the HUD. Phew! Now to buy shoes and pants. Shoes go on fine, great. Pants, skin showing through them too. Thats ok, I remember how to fix that in the HUD. Absolutely nothing happens this time. Then I notice my shirt has holes in it again, HUD won't fix that either. Another couple of hours googling (by the way, it REALLY does not help when you google these things and all results are for people creating mesh!!!), I somehow get the pants looking good, only now the shoes have my feet sticking out of them, and my arms have disappeared!!! I can get my left arm back but not the right!!

Seriously, I am THIS close to deleting mesh. If anyone tells me this is the norm every time you change, its gone. I figure its not, because everyone seems to swear by it. Clearly I am missing something, but I cannot find it in google, this forum, or sheer luck!

It is worse for females...with the makeup and the nails and huds filling up your computer screen until you cannot see what color you are trying to change things too.  And, even with the alpha built-in, body pokes through when dancing.

I left being a "human" and now enjoy being a Dinkie (a tiny Cat who wears human clothes) and am having the time of my life...it's so much fun! 

We are super low scripted too, and a lot of Dinkie stuff is made WITHOUT huds.  You just wear each color one at a time, and no re-sizer scripts that never deleted for me.  

Some of the human's that come to the tiny events like to be low scripted too and wear the system clothing you can make yourself.  lol 

So, it doesn't matter what you are wearing...it's are you enjoying it?

My group, we have soooooooo much fun...and humans are welcome too!  

If you are not enjoying mesh, no...it's not needed.  Heck, even make your own clothes or wear whatever you want and dance with the Tinies at Raglan Shire sometime.  Humans are welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Isn't it annoying, one post - and then silence? Literally the first and only post made by this avatar.

I think he's in what I call "hud hell" right now...or, the opposite, he got some things to work and is taking stuff for a test run.  

4 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

I think he's in what I call "hud hell" right now...or, the opposite, he got some things to work and is taking stuff for a test run.  

I have changed to a BoM head and body, and it is so much more easy than appliers. We assume it's a "He", yes? Well, they have that makeup problem too. Lip layes, cheek layers, hairbase layes, eyebrow layers. Upper, lower et cetera.

It is so liberating that I don't need a HUD. I just add on makeup layers and take them off. Want hairbase, eyebrows, 2 different sets of eyeshadows and eyeliner? Just add, add, add. Want a scar bisected over the eye for Halloween? Add it. Some blood splatter? Add it. And so on.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I have changed to a BoM head and body, and it is so much more easy than appliers. We assume it's a "He", yes? Well, they have that makeup problem too. Lip layes, cheek layers, hairbase layes, eyebrow layers. Upper, lower et cetera.

It is so liberating that I don't need a HUD. I just add on makeup layers and take them off. Want hairbase, eyebrows, 2 different sets of eyeshadows and eyeliner? Just add, add, add. Want a scar bisected over the eye for Halloween? Add it. Some blood splatter? Add it. And so on.

OOOOOooo, yeah.  I do not have BOM viewer yet.  I will soon.  But, Dinkies don't have a lot of HUDS...though there are handful of face masks and skins to put on that look like glitter and a few other things.  Oh yeah, and Dinkies have colored eyebrows now.  YAY! 

Yeah, I think it's a "He" just because he mentions only shirt, pants and shoes.  

Edited by FairreLilette

On 10/2/2019 at 12:12 PM, Conifer Dada said:

I still have a system avatar and I'm happy that way.   If you have a fairly slim female shape and a good skin, then unless you want to keep pointing your fingers and sticking your tongue out, 'system' is OK .  When it comes to clothes and hair, not so good though.  For me I find . . . .

Tight-fitting clothes - system generally OK

Loose clothes - mesh best.

Hair - mesh best. 

Shoes - mesh best.

Same here --- system avi but wearing mesh dresses and stuff most of the time.

I do have a avi I made for my club (To post events and such) and she's mesh. I use her to play and learn mesh on when I have the time.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2019 at 9:14 AM, Marianne Little said:

Don't forget beards and body hair; guys need those too.

Yesterday, I was wearing eight tattoo layers. (OK admittedly two of them were the finger and toe fixes to hide the nasty system nails, which wouldn't have been necessary on Classic).  Did I mention how much I love Bakes on Mesh? 💖 💖 💖 💖

It would have been nine if I owned any tattoo-layer eyebrows. Sadly had to revert to a Catwa applier for those.

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 1

The "big brand" head gave us double layers of every makeup slot, but it was still annoying as heck. The mesh head brands has done what they can to support us with save makeup and looks HUDs, but it was just annoying for me. I have barely been wearing makeup in SL with mesh heads. Putting together a look and going back and forth between slots and upper, lower layers has not been worth it. I appreciate all the work the poor creators had to do, though.

I will hardly wear any system clothes. They will be great for stockings and such that will go under rigged mesh clothes. Covering bare bellies, and have the edge of a bra visible under a top.

On 10/20/2019 at 9:14 AM, Marianne Little said:

Loving BoM for exactly these reasons with in a day or two of finally getting a mesh head the BoM FS came out and the first thing i did was click BoM on the HUD my Glam Affair system skin and the tattoo layer cosmetics i use work surprisingly well but the skin i had been using prior to that doesn't work as well

As an old but newly-returned SL resident, the mesh learning curve has been real.  I've popped in here and there over the past ten years of my (mostly) absence, but mesh never made much sense.

That said, lots of my friends have the Maitreya Lara body and once I tried it, I was sold.  I can wear skirts that don't then drop through my legs.  Awesome!

Now all I have to do is figure out how to make my Lelutka head look like me (I'm still rocking a system head, because NOTHING I do makes my Lelutka head's eyebrows look right... or the nose) and glare at the BOM tutorials until my eyes cross... but I'm feeling a bit more up-to-date at least :)

40 minutes ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

As an old but newly-returned SL resident, the mesh learning curve has been real.  I've popped in here and there over the past ten years of my (mostly) absence, but mesh never made much sense.

That said, lots of my friends have the Maitreya Lara body and once I tried it, I was sold.  I can wear skirts that don't then drop through my legs.  Awesome!

Now all I have to do is figure out how to make my Lelutka head look like me (I'm still rocking a system head, because NOTHING I do makes my Lelutka head's eyebrows look right... or the nose) and glare at the BOM tutorials until my eyes cross... but I'm feeling a bit more up-to-date at least :)

Simone was my Lelutka of choice for a while but my head was turned by Genus, and I never looked back.....😋

41 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Simone was my Lelutka of choice for a while but my head was turned by Genus, and I never looked back.....😋

I've got some Genus demos, but I've hesitated with them (probably due to the grey look of the demos in the marketplace).  I guess I need to get over that :)

I can't find info if they're BOM compatible yet.  I am revoltingly fond of my Adam N Eve skins; they're part of who I am in SL, so I'd like to stick with the look I've become accustomed to.  Urrrrgh!  Change is hard!

1 hour ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

Now all I have to do is figure out how to make my Lelutka head look like me (I'm still rocking a system head, because NOTHING I do makes my Lelutka head's eyebrows look right... or the nose)

I've seen it advised before to take a pic of you with your system head  apply that to a prim then use it as a reference for tweaking your mesh head it may help. I got the LeLutka Chloe as it was the most 'me' using my shape, i did take comparison pics prior to being rich enough to afford the head so i could get used to what the "new" would look like. i have tweaked here and there to feel more like my system self.  your eyebrows you can adjust to a point using a modifiable hair base though you may never be able to get them exactly the same as your system ones mine i couldn't even though i'm using my system skin and two shades of tattoo layer brows as BoM if anything i prefer them to system. if you use a very old system skin it may not look great as BoM while my Glam Affair skin works well, I tested out the skins i had been using prior from Skinthesis and they just didn't look nice 

4 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

I've seen it advised before to take a pic of you with your system head  apply that to a prim then use it as a reference for tweaking your mesh head it may help.

I actually did this before I started trying on my demo Lelutka heads.  I got one of the demos down to pretty much "me" to the point where I even spent the Lindens for the full head.  Unfortunately, when I started working with the real head and appliers/ makeup/ and whatever it all went downhill.

For now it's still going to have to be system head.  I'm not giving up; I'm just not sold on mesh heads entirely :)

11 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

Hopefully you already know but the Lelutka heads are responsive to changes in the Linden hairbase so this means you can do a certain amount of eyebrow arch and above-the-eye spacing changes.  If you didn't know then this might help get those eyebrows right.

27 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Hopefully you already know but the Lelutka heads are responsive to changes in the Linden hairbase so this means you can do a certain amount of eyebrow arch and above-the-eye spacing changes.  If you didn't know then this might help get those eyebrows right.

I've somehow managed to mess it up and have two sets of eyebrows.  I've tried to reset it to the "factory basics", but it does not care to respond.

I'm really bummed that I managed to bork something I spent that many Lindens on :/

4 minutes ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

I've somehow managed to mess it up and have two sets of eyebrows.  I've tried to reset it to the "factory basics", but it does not care to respond.

I'm really bummed that I managed to bork something I spent that many Lindens on :/

It is quite likely that there is a set already drawn on the skin and you have either the head eyebrows turned on in the head HUD or are wearing one or more eyebrow system layers (if using BoM).  You have to wear/apply a skin without eyebrows to use additional worn/applied eyebrows.  If you want to use the skin eyebrows you have to make you turn off tthe eyebrows on the head HUD or take off any system layers (if using BoM).

7 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

It is quite likely that there is a set already drawn on the skin and you have either the head eyebrows turned on in the head HUD or are wearing one or more eyebrow system layers (if using BoM).  You have to wear/apply a skin without eyebrows to use additional worn/applied eyebrows.  If you want to use the skin eyebrows you have to make you turn off the eyebrows on the head HUD or take off any system layers (if using BoM).

I'm so far behind the learning curve on this :)  I'll give it a shot.  If not, as you mentioned above, I'll try to either hunt down my original box or get a redelivery.  Thank you for reminding me of this.

I love my mesh body, but the mesh head thing is really messing with my head... quite literally LOL.  I'd just give up on it and resign myself to wearing a system head into perpetuity, but with so many creators concentrating on appliers and no longer producing system skins, my options for makeup changes are becoming quite limited.  Then again, I tend to wear the same makeup IRL about every day so it's not as if that's something I'm not used to...

... but part of the fun of SL is trying on looks that wouldn't work on my 50-year-old RL face.  Cat eye eyeliner, for example, does NOT work well with hooded eyelids.  But my avatar can rock just about anything, and I do enjoy the flexibility of being able to do just that :)

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 9:50 AM, Ajay McDowwll said:

I love my mesh body, but the mesh head thing is really messing with my head... quite literally LOL.  I'd just give up on it and resign myself to wearing a system head into perpetuity

One of the things to remember with mesh heads is they are all unique and they all (or nearly all) use a different base shape from the classic head. This means that just because you can't recreate your original system shape with your current head, doesn't mean you can't recreate it with a different one. If your head doesn't work for you, try some demos of different heads and see if they are any others that work better for you. Also remember that the skin will also have a big effect; sometimes a certain skin looks great on one head but terrible on another, so maybe just changing to a different skin is all that you need.

Or you may not be able to recreate it at all. Sometimes, switching to a mesh head means getting to a point where you're thinking thinking "Okay, it's not identical - but I like it better" - after all, if you're trying to get identical what would be the point of spending money on it? If you aren't getting better, you may as well save yourself the L$5000.

Bakes on Mesh is going to be a big help for people with system heads and bodies too; over the past few years it's been getting increasingly more difficult to find skins and makeup with system layers for classic bodies. Now with Bakes on Mesh, they will come back, so this is a great time to consider sticking with a system head.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.