Question

Can anyone tell me why I can't get into gaming sims? I have payment info on file, I'm in my 20's, and my state is not on the no go list. Any ideas?

Thank you!

6 answers to this question

If you Internet Service Provider is in a state that does not allow on-line gaming, then it's the same as if you lived there yourself.  Connecting to SL with an ISP in a different state puts you in a mess of legal jurisdictions.

20 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Interesting question...can one circumvent the state restrictions by using a VPN?

I hope not.  I mean, the fact that you can appear to be in an embargoed state by virtue of using a ISP in one seems to imply that you can do the reverse.  If a VPN lets you skirt the laws in your own state, though, then you are clearly doing something illegal.  If the authorities catch you, they won't be happy. I don't sympathize much either.

25 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Interesting question...can one circumvent the state restrictions by using a VPN?

Yes, though you would still be breaking your state's laws and could therefore be charged if found out.

To be clear, I'm not advocating getting around your state's laws.  I was thinking of this in cases where you reside in a state that's not on the banned list, but your ISP's location gets you on the list anyway.

Also, to be clear, I didn't think that you were suggesting that the OP should break the law either.  I wanted to be sure that he understood that he shouldn't take your question that way.