Second Life Registry Keys

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1676 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, AliciaMarieJames said:

How do you delete the registry keys for Second Life?

I have a friend who's SL just deleted itself for some strange reason, that's why I'm asking on her behalf.

Linden Lab's viewer and Firestorm (the only ones I have installed, so the only ones I could check) don't store anything in the registry. They store information in files. The only registry entries for either are ones that Windows itself creates for any program that's installed. Doing an uninstall would get rid of them.

It's very unlikely that the viewer would delete itself. It's more likely that it or part of it was accidentally deleted or was corrupted. Does reinstalling the viewer work?

On 9/21/2019 at 10:25 AM, Parhelion Palou said:

Linden Lab's viewer and Firestorm (the only ones I have installed, so the only ones I could check) don't store anything in the registry. They store information in files. The only registry entries for either are ones that Windows itself creates for any program that's installed. Doing an uninstall would get rid of them.

It's very unlikely that the viewer would delete itself. It's more likely that it or part of it was accidentally deleted or was corrupted. Does reinstalling the viewer work?

She tried to reinstall, and it simply wouldn't let her.

I'll let her know, thanks Parhelion ^^

You can try something like Revo uninstaller that lets you uninstall a program, then it hunts around for anything related to the program remaining anywhere on the system. Looking for registry lines individually is a nightmare.

You can also try a normal uninstall and then using a program like piriforms ccleaner which has a built in registry error tool that can find registry entries that have no program affiliation. That might not get everything but it'll usually find a lot of stuff. 

15 hours ago, AliciaMarieJames said:

She tried to reinstall, and it simply wouldn't let her.

Maybe Windows corrupted it itself, because of a "False Positive" in the antivirus program. Your friend should whitelist the folder where the viewer is located (IIRC, it's under \C:\Programs on Windows), and try reinstalling it again

Edited by ThorinII

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1676 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.