My friend's accout has "On Hold" How can he clear

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, TLHagen said:

I'm trying to help my boyfriend. He has been trying to login, but it says his account is "On Hold." He never received notification.

He is a 4.5 year member and never had an issue. He is a well-liked member of our community. How could this happen?

More importantly:  How do we clear this up?

Tell him to check his spam folders.  LL  will have sent an email.  He can always contact support and file a ticket.  The link to which is on every forum page,  

• Like 3

There are many reasons LL might put an account on hold.  Anything from a past-due bill caused by an expired credit card, to a major violation of the Terms of Service.  This is not a matter for "we", there's nothing you can do.  He will have to submit a Support Case and ask why the account is on hold.  He should state that, as far as he is aware, he has done nothing to violate LL policies.

• Like 3

On 9/21/2019 at 9:08 AM, TLHagen said:

I'm trying to help my boyfriend. He has been trying to login, but it says his account is "On Hold." He never received notification.

He is a 4.5 year member and never had an issue. He is a well-liked member of our community. How could this happen?

More importantly:  How do we clear this up?

Has he tried logging into his Web Page?  He should get an alert when he does so, explaining the issue.

On 9/21/2019 at 3:26 PM, TLHagen said:

at least, send him the link so he doesn't have to search for it. 

he doesn't have to search for that, it's in the message on his accountpage to contact support.

Just a tip.. don't mix in these matters, it's between LL and the accountholder. Let him do the job himself, stay out.

• Like 1

Itching to know why and what happens. Like a gossiping fish wife. I just cant help myself. Do keep us fully informed.

I might add I have two infractions against me on the forums and have to watch my etiquette these days, and I live in dread of being banned in SL for something I didnt realise was naughty.

Edited by rasterscan

13 hours ago, rasterscan said:

Itching to know why and what happens. Like a gossiping fish wife. I just cant help myself. Do keep us fully informed.

I might add I have two infractions against me on the forums and have to watch my etiquette these days, and I live in dread of being banned in SL for something I didnt realise was naughty.

It sucks they dont give you a warning.

2 hours ago, CheriColette said:

It sucks they dont give you a warning.

(The following makes use of the "generic you".  It does not mean you, personally, Cheri, or Rasterscan).

• You must acknowledge that you read, understand, and accept the Terms of Service and other associated LL policies before you can log in.  So presumably you know what not to do.
  • You might be able to tell that your behavior doesn't meet acceptable standards by the reaction of other people.  Do you get banned from places a lot?
  • The first response by LL is generally a warning, with no penalty given, simply a suggestion that you not do that again.
  • Repeated offenses generally result in another warning, or possibly a short suspension.
  • Continued offenses result in a longer suspension.
  • As a next-to-last resort, LL will ban an account.
  • Extreme and persistent violations can result in an IP or hashtag ban.

So, actually, they (usually) DO give you plenty of warning.

One case in which that measured escalation doesn't apply...if your account is compromised (usually by getting taken in by a phishing scam).  If the person who got hold of your password does things with your account that are major violations of the ToS (theft, fraud, money laundering, etc.) LL will ban the account pretty darn quickly.   And, since the ToS holds you responsible for whatever is done with your account, they will probably issue a perma-ban, too.  This is why it is so important to contact LL the moment you think your account may have been compromised.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

So, actually, they (usually) DO give you plenty of warning.

Interesting.

Despite a mildly rabble-rousing past, I doubt that I've ever done anything in-world that even came close to a punishable offense. Almost certainly I've been the target of a few ARs here and there, but I've never received a warning, yet alone a suspension.

But here, on these forums, I've received, within the past eight or nine months, a warning and an actual one-day suspension. And these were basically for "not being very nice" to some people. The "warning" I received was not very enlightening, but merely directed me to the CS. It was not, in other words, terribly instructive or helpful. Same with the suspension.

My next offense here, as I understand it, will likely result in a three-day suspension that will, I think, be extended in-world as well?

It seems odd to me that it's so much easier to get an in-world ban here, on the forums, than it is in-world.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Interesting.

Despite a mildly rabble-rousing past, I doubt that I've ever done anything in-world that even came close to a punishable offense. Almost certainly I've been the target of a few ARs here and there, but I've never received a warning, yet alone a suspension.

But here, on these forums, I've received, within the past eight or nine months, a warning and an actual one-day suspension. And these were basically for "not being very nice" to some people. The "warning" I received was not very enlightening, but merely directed me to the CS. It was not, in other words, terribly instructive or helpful. Same with the suspension.

My next offense here, as I understand it, will likely result in a three-day suspension that will, I think, be extended in-world as well?

It seems odd to me that it's so much easier to get an in-world ban here, on the forums, than it is in-world.

Fifteen years without so much as a warning in SL and like you, in the months since I've been on the forum I've been warned and suspended. Once I was suspended for calling someone sugarpants after they called me honey. 

Other than the so called infractions themselves, you and I have had the same experience. I bet there's a pattern here. And not on the posters' end.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

sugarpants

Seriously?

I'd kill to be called "sugarpants"!

It is probably nothing more than that it is easier to monitor and apply sanctions to "offenses" here. But it does seem a tad incommensurate.

It's well known -- and maybe you were here when it happened too? -- that at least one very well-known land baron who was a regular poster on the old forums stopped posting when the mods began to apply in-world suspensions and bans for forum offenses: he judged it too dangerous to risk that here, as it might have impacted on his in-world business.

Hey there, sugarpants!  Yes, you with the Greek name and the strawberry blonde hair!

I'm a member of the "You Have Been Warned Forum Club".  Yes, little innocuous me.  While I don't recall details, it was due to what I believed to be a measured response to someone who insulted me first.  Apparently, they reported my post, the thin-skinned retaliatory little snowflake.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Hey there, sugarpants!

And this is why I love you, Lindal.

2 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

While I don't recall details, it was due to what I believed to be a measured response to someone who insulted me first.

Right. And if someone ARed you for that in-world, the complaint would be laughed all the way into the digital recycle bin.

I get that the forums are "public" in a way that in-world interactions aren't, so I understand why a slightly different standard applies here. To a large degree, this is about PR, and sanitizing one of the more public faces of SL. Fine, understood.

But why apply in-world suspension?

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Seriously?

I'd kill to be called "sugarpants"!

It is probably nothing more than that it is easier to monitor and apply sanctions to "offenses" here. But it does seem a tad incommensurate.

It's well known -- and maybe you were here when it happened too? -- that at least one very well-known land baron who was a regular poster on the old forums stopped posting when the mods began to apply in-world suspensions and bans for forum offenses: he judged it too dangerous to risk that here, as it might have impacted on his in-world business.

Seriously.

More like it's easier to not actually read the posts and see what happened and just warn/suspend any and all, regardless.

Which one? There have been a few over the years. Frankly, I don't blame them. Most of us are capable of (and do) "policing" ourselves. We're all supposed to be of an age that we don't need to be protected from every little thing that might offend us. 

But hey, you know, its LL's playground so we have to follow their rules (however arbitrarily they are enforced or made up on the spot) if we want to play here. Doesn't mean they have to be just about it. Justice doesn't serve LL's bottom line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

But why apply in-world suspension?

I think that is the next step in the chain for me. 

And yeah what Lindal said. Retaliation. So petty. Much childish. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Cupcake.

What happens on the forum shouldn't affect one's ability to be inworld, imo. That is double jeopardy, in the sense that you are being twice placed in jeopardy for the same offense. It's even in the 5th Amendment:

"nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy [of life or limb]"

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 3

On 9/21/2019 at 3:14 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

There are many reasons LL might put an account on hold.  Anything from a past-due bill caused by an expired credit card, to a major violation of the Terms of Service.  This is not a matter for "we", there's nothing you can do.  He will have to submit a Support Case and ask why the account is on hold.  He should state that, as far as he is aware, he has done nothing to violate LL policies.

Unless he has, in which case, proclaiming innocense will not earn them any favor.

24 minutes ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Unless he has, in which case, proclaiming innocense [sic] will not earn them any favor.

Ditto. There always are two sides to every coin and none of what anyone says or proclaims is worth anything until we can see both sides of that coin.

On 9/23/2019 at 4:28 AM, rasterscan said:

hahaha! Yes, well it went back to a misunderstanding months ago! Whew! Cleared up now.

Well it was a misunderstanding because of the pettiness of the reporter. I've known my BF for a bit now. He is the sweetest, calmest, most caring person I know, so what was reported against him only came about due to being completely goaded into a reaction. The two of them need to work it out and smooth things over. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.