suck at terraining

LiamFangzDemorte

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

10 answers to this question

20 minutes ago, LiamFangzDemorte said:

i try and terain just make lots of rivers no paths nothing i just press on roughen i dunno what im doin tbh i want it like forestry and for wk cats to run around but cant tried and if i make hills i get it all wrong too looks mess so i dunno

Practice makes perfect.  Start with all the terraforming settings on low and you need patience.  Do a little at a time.  

Watch some Terraforming videos

It really is about taking it slow and practicing

them videos tell me nothing i press roughen all that does make rivers and that dont want that dont want huge mess ya know i dunno tryin make terrained nice tidy land not mess press the smooth smoothes it back out press the  raise just makes land too high lowers makes more water im not designer or landscaper of design was hopeless at art in school have autism also i dunno how ppl make their lands look great ya know

The trick to using the terraforming tool is to stick to flatten, raise, lower, and smooth. Roughen makes a mess always. Keep the strength slider on the left side of its range. If strength is set to high then raise, lower, and smooth can make a big mess in a hurry. Find a flat space and play with those four (flatten/raise/lower/smooth) to see how they work.

When I make streams or rivers I usually set the size to small (far left), the strength low, then use it on one spot until the ground is about the depth I want for the stream. Then I use the flatten tool with a little more strength - start where you lowered the ground, then move where you want the stream to go. When you're done you can use smooth (strength set all the way to the left) along the edges to smooth them out.

The key to terraforming is practice first, then try it for something. You'll learn what works best as you terraform more often.

• Like 3

Another thing about terraforming...it doesn't change the land textures, only the elevation.  This results in riverbeds with grass on the bottom and hills that look terribly bland and unrealistic.

You have to combine landscaping with terraforming.  Once you have the basic shape of the land via terraforming, you need to plant boulders, stream beds, pathways, taller grasses, trees, shrubs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

The trick to using the terraforming tool is to stick to flatten, raise, lower, and smooth. Roughen makes a mess always. Keep the strength slider on the left side of its range. If strength is set to high then raise, lower, and smooth can make a big mess in a hurry. Find a flat space and play with those four (flatten/raise/lower/smooth) to see how they work.

When I make streams or rivers I usually set the size to small (far left), the strength low, then use it on one spot until the ground is about the depth I want for the stream. Then I use the flatten tool with a little more strength - start where you lowered the ground, then move where you want the stream to go. When you're done you can use smooth (strength set all the way to the left) along the edges to smooth them out.

The key to terraforming is practice first, then try it for something. You'll learn what works best as you terraform more often.

adding to this. Because this is really helpful how-to-do-it when we are new to terraforming

Liam has a whole region, and after a quick chat the concept was some border hills, a waterfall into a river flowing across a savanna to a little beach  on the sunset sea side. Jungle-fy the hilly parts and the savanna being the hunting ground and roaming for large cats - lions, tigers, etc.  A home/lodge on the sunrise side and a viewing stand by the beach

to terraforim this concept quickly and safely when we are new to terraforming then cutout parcels for each area of interest. Rectangle parcels for the lodge and stand. Parcel for the waterfall, parcel for the waterfall pool, parcel for the beach. Chop the hills into parcelled sections.  And make a winding parcel across the region for the river

do the parcelling like this, so that if we make a mistake using the terraforming tools then the mistake will be restricted to the parcel.  When we don't parcel and we are new to terraforming then we can wreck a whole region's worth of work with a wrong click

after we have finished our terraforming concept then we can join the parcels back together. Thereafter have our Size and Strength set to Low/Lowish so when we do click or drag our mouse then the terrain will only change a tiny bit, patting it like clay

Liam was last seen mounting all his stuffs and happily patting his terrain :)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.