Premium Membership Renewal

Gwin LeShelle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1676 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Mine was due now on 20th and I thought it would just go through automatically but nothing happened when I logged into my account it said something about "Problem with my Account I have a 99$due blah" so I clicked pay now and paid was that correct? And how can I make it renew automatically next year? T^T ❤️

I think the only reason it may not have been automatic was because of the increase,which hasn't really happened before..

It may be their way of showing people that don't know about it,that there was an increase.

I'm just kind of guessing really,but could imagine the feedback they would get if they just took the money automatically from people not really expecting an increase..

• Like 2

A Premium account should renew automatically.  That's right in the TOS (LL TOS, Sect. 4.3).  If it doesn't happen because of a "Problem with your account...", the problem is often that the system either no longer recognizes your payment method or your payment method does not have enough money in it to cover the changes.

First thing, open your dashboard and look at Account >>> Billing Infprmation

4b43de94e12292f88707f086dd3b9104.png

In the part that I highlighted, if it doesn't already say "Land, premium, and other recurring fees", click Change and adjust it.  Otherwise, you haven't authorized Linden Lab to use that payment method for paying your Premium bills.  You may have authorized it to buy L$ or something else ...

Then, be sure that your payment method is really PayPal or a credit card, not a debit card or a pre-paid card of some kind.  Almost all prepaid cards and debit cards will fail.  So, replace it if that's the case.

Finally, if you are using PayPal, be sure that the cash balance in your PayPal account is at least large enough to pay the charges from LL.  Your bank or credit card will not backfill PayPal fast enough to satisfy Linden Lab.  They want payment now, not two days from now when the bank gets around to transferring cash to PayPal.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos, of course
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rolig Loon said:

Finally, if you are using PayPal, be sure that the cash balance in your PayPal account is at least large enough to pay the charges from LL.  Your bank or credit card will not backfill PayPal fast enough to satisfy Linden Lab.  They want payment now, not two days from now when the bank gets around to transferring cash to PayPal.

Completely FALSE!

I just clicked pay now and they were happy ;) and my bank account is linked to my paypal and it worked just fine without funds in there!

My paypal is verified it pays LL instantly and then withdraws it from my bank account, I guess when that option is not working for you than it has something to do with you credit score or such! 

And its always working like that without any problems when buying Linden$ either or anywhere on the web where I pay with paypal x3

I really think its like Ceka said cause of the increase and the fact I signed up for it when it was another amount still!

And I wouldn't haved asked here if I wouldn't have checked all that beforehand ^^ cause its not like I am new to this xD

I just asked if theres anything I didn't saw to prevent that from happening again next year lol but well I paid like 10 mins after the problem occured so that was not the thing ...everything is still fine with my account and as I initially asked, I was more worried about them double charging my paypal cause I clicked it instead of waiting for it to go through automatically lol

But all is fine :D❤️ thank you anyways!

Pardon me for responding.  We get variations of this question quite often, usually from people who are new to SL and do not know as much as you evidently do. It's easier to explain than to guess at what you might already know.

11 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

Completely FALSE!

I just clicked pay now and they were happy ;) and my bank account is linked to my paypal and it worked just fine without funds in there!

My paypal is verified it pays LL instantly and then withdraws it from my bank account, I guess when that option is not working for you than it has something to do with you credit score or such! 

And its always working like that without any problems when buying Linden$ either or anywhere on the web where I pay with paypal x3

No, you are wrong there.  It has nothing to do with your credits score (mine is excellent, BTW) or with how well PayPal works for buying things on other on-line sites.  Linden Lab requires that a payment method be capable of (1) sending and receiving funds and (2) doing it instantly.  You may certainly use PayPal as a payment method but if you do, you must always have  sufficient cash balance in the PayPal account to cover purchases. Failing to do that is a very common reason for the Lab to cancel the transaction.  If your PayPal account is backed up by a credit card, it is generally (but not always) backfilled very quickly, so it meets criterion #2 above.  If it is backed up by a bank account, it generally takes the bank up to two days to backfill PayPal.  Linden Lab will not wait for two days, so your transaction will fail criterion #2.  This happens to SL residents often enough that it's one of the first things we are careful to point out when we get a question like the one you posed.

Edited by Rolig Loon

19 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Pardon me for responding.  We get variations of this question quite often, usually from people who are new to SL and do not know as much as you evidently do. It's easier to explain than to guess at what you might already know.

No, you are wrong there.  It has nothing to do with your credits score (mine is excellent, BTW) or with how well PayPal works for buying things on other on-line sites.  Linden Lab requires that a payment method be capable of (1) sending and receiving funds and (2) doing it instantly.  You may certainly use PayPal as a payment method but if you do, you must always have  sufficient cash balance in the PayPal account to cover purchases. Failing to do that is a very common reason for the Lab to cancel the transaction.  If your PayPal account is backed up by a credit card, it is generally (but not always) backfilled very quickly, so it meets criterion #2 above.  If it is backed up by a bank account, it generally takes the bank up to two days to backfill PayPal.  Linden Lab will not wait for two days, so your transaction will fail criterion #2.  This happens to SL residents often enough that it's one of the first things we are careful to point out when we get a question like the one you posed.

Sorry but no! I do that for years now xD paypal pays them INSTANTLY and then goes and gets its money from me thats how its working ya know ;) my payment didnt fail ...never and this time it went through too just not automated ;) paypal doesnt need to get "filled" before you can pay...otherwise paying for your online ordered pizza would take quite a while lmao

When you need to put funds in your paypal beforehand your bank account is not correctly linked or verified, period! My account and payment is fine I just wanted to see if there something else that could cause that! Obviously nothing that you pointed out ^^

My payment didnt fail at all not even one time they just didn't charged me automatically and that was my question...I never said anything failed lol

Maybe where you live its different tho! LL handles payment methods differently depending on where you live too ^^ so no need to argue about that my initial question was another one anyways ^^ and well thank you again tho 

Edited by Gwin LeShelle

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

My PayPal will also pay LL the money and then go get it from my bank.  My guess as to why it works is because I also have a credit card tied to the account that is listed as a backup payment method.  PayPal has never actually done any sort of hold charge, but I'm guessing they figure they can if for some reason the bank money doesn't come through.  Or maybe because I've had the PayPal account for a gazillion years they figure I'm good for it - who knows.  I honestly don't know why it works for me, but it does - just as Gwin says.

I've never contradicted the statement when give to other players because I know that for many/most people it works exactly as you stated.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

My PayPal will also pay LL the money and then go get it from my bank.  My guess as to why it works is because I also have a credit card tied to the account that is listed as a backup payment method.  PayPal has never actually done any sort of hold charge, but I'm guessing they figure they can if for some reason the bank money doesn't come through.  Or maybe because I've had the PayPal account for a gazillion years they figure I'm good for it - who knows.  I honestly don't know why it works for me, but it does - just as Gwin says.

I've never contradicted the statement when give to other players because I know that for many/most people it works exactly as you stated.

So weird really I only know people where PayPal  works like that ...I mean thats how its SUPPOSED to work in the first place xD 

So weird to learn that for some people it does not, the only people in my RL friend circle I know its not working like that for them is when they had insufficient funds more than once in their bank accounts when paying with paypal! 

Afterwards paypal seems to not really trust them anymore haha but I asked that friend and he said even for him after a while of good behaviour it worked all fine again ^^

Thats also often how my husband or I pay for lunch foods etc ^^ I would be totally annoyed if we had to put funds in the paypal before cause I would always forget it haha

We use paypal quite a lot and we have our account for ages now too!

So yeah its weird to see that for some people its not working like that!

But no matter what the problem was what kept it from automatically charging me all is fine and I am a happy premium user for another year ^^

Thank you all for your answers ❤️

Gwin brings up an interesting point here.

Like Rolig, I have always believed that there has to be funds in your PayPal account when LL goes to get your money, or the transaction would fail.  Now here's Gwin telling us that we've been wrong all this time!

As it happens, there is currently $0.00 in my PayPal account.  I'm going to go buy a few $L and see what happens, then report back.

My account is backed up by a RL bank account.  There is a Visa debit card associated with the account.

• Like 2

Hi, I'm back from the bank.

It turns out that Gwin is correct!  While it may have been true at one time that LL transactions needed money in your actual PayPal balance, it is not now the case.  Or at least, it is not required in all cases.

Here are a couple of screenshots I took during the purchase process.

paypaltest1.jpg.d8fbf5d23f6ef81805ddc1c3ddb344e8.jpg

I had to read this very carefully.  I have money in my USD Balance, and if I had not clicked a "Don't Use" button, the system would have taken the money from there first.  But I did click "Don't Use", and then it showed the above screen, with the payment to be charged to PayPal (which, as I said before, has a zero balance.)  I clicked the Buy Now button.  After a few seconds of processing, success!

paypaltest2.jpg.7dc687c724bbb67ac3799219d5b74ab5.jpg

• Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

After a few seconds of processing, success!

Congratulations, and thank you, Lindal.  That must be a very recent change, and it's a welcome one.  As recently as this past spring, people who had asked about this in the Answers forum were still telling me that their transactions only went through after they put money in their PayPal account, as you and I had been advising them for years.  If Linden Lab's accounting system has improved, this is great news.  As I tried explaining to the OP, this has been a difference between the way that PayPal worked for SL and the way it worked anywhere else in the Internet. It made no difference whether you could buy peanut butter from Amazon.com with your zero balance PayPal account.  Linden Lab wouldn't let you. So now  ... Progress!

• Like 1

Just now, Rolig Loon said:

Congratulations, and thank you, Lindal.  That must be a very recent change, and it's a welcome one.  As recently as this past spring, people who had asked about this in the Answers forum were still telling me that their transactions only went through after they put money in their PayPal account, as you and I had been advising them for years.  If Linden Lab's accounting system has improved, this is great news.  As I tried explaining to the OP, this has been a difference between the way that PayPal worked for SL and the way it worked anywhere else in the Internet. It made no difference whether you could buy peanut butter from Amazon.com with your zero balance PayPal account.  Linden Lab wouldn't let you. So now  ... Progress!

I know you LOVE putting hints to the TOS under like every post you answer to, but this change is not so recent just take it that for once you didn't have a clue ;) I am in SL for 12+ years now and I actually can't tell when this "recent" change happened anymore xD

But I guess you won't admit it either and as I said LL handled payments quite different depending on which country you are in so maybe next time you should assume less and just listen to what people post or say! ❤️

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Hi, I'm back from the bank.

It turns out that Gwin is correct!  While it may have been true at one time that LL transactions needed money in your actual PayPal balance, it is not now the case.  Or at least, it is not required in all cases.

Here are a couple of screenshots I took during the purchase process.

paypaltest1.jpg.d8fbf5d23f6ef81805ddc1c3ddb344e8.jpg

I had to read this very carefully.  I have money in my USD Balance, and if I had not clicked a "Don't Use" button, the system would have taken the money from there first.  But I did click "Don't Use", and then it showed the above screen, with the payment to be charged to PayPal (which, as I said before, has a zero balance.)  I clicked the Buy Now button.  After a few seconds of processing, success!

paypaltest2.jpg.7dc687c724bbb67ac3799219d5b74ab5.jpg

Thank you ❤️ ❤️ ❤️and yes thats how I am doing it for ages xD nice and easy and no waiting time when I need L$ ^^ 

14 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

Thank you ❤️ ❤️ ❤️and yes thats how I am doing it for ages xD nice and easy and no waiting time when I need L$ ^^ 

yep never been different here either, never had balances on my paypal.
Paypal pays .. and one or two days later they take it from my bankaccount.

• Like 1

It may have something to do with 'how long' the account has been verified.  If I set up a brand new PayPal, verified it, and immediately tried to buy L$, then it might not work without an actual PayPal balance.   My PayPal account was established and verified long before I came to SL.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

And I wouldn't haved asked here if I wouldn't have checked all that beforehand ^^ cause its not like I am new to this

And no one would have wasted their time explaining if they knew you had checked all that beforehand, since we are not mind readers.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

And no one would have wasted their time explaining if they knew you had checked all that beforehand, since we are not mind readers.

Funny enough the first person that kindly answered in here totally got my question correct ^^ the second person only kindaaa halfway x3 and she didn't seem to happy about that and I just pointed out with that answer that I checked it all, you know thats called communication!

Like her answer was mostly a miss to my question, I did the mistake to not make a explicit list of all the things I checked. Thats life such things happen!

And life is also that people like you make unasked posts like you did even when the topic is already solved ^^

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

Funny enough the first person that kindly answered in here totally got my question correct ^^ the second person only kindaaa halfway x3 and she didn't seem to happy about that and I just pointed out with that answer that I checked it all, you know thats called communication!

Like her answer was mostly a miss to my question, I did the mistake to not make a explicit list of all the things I checked. Thats life such things happen!

And life is also that people like you make unasked posts like you did even when the topic is already solved ^^

Way to be an ass to people trying to help you. 

Never mind. It's too lovely a day to be icky to people.

Edited by Beth Macbain
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

You all know that data usage is contributing to Global Warming, so let's save the pixels and save the planet!

That would mean logging out of SL, though... I love trees as much as the next person, but we have to put our foot down somewhere!

I'm not addicted... YOU ARE...

...twitches...

• Haha 2

Thank you.  I do appreciate your kind thought.  I'm glad that your problem worked out, and I know Lindal and I are both glad that we no longer need to offer the advice about PayPal that has been part of the toolbox for many years.  Enjoy the rest of the week. 😉

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1676 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.