PLEASE: SAVE THE MOST INTERESTING SIM’s

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It is evident that SL, along the years, has allowed some great artists to create authentic masterpieces. Unfortunately, when they leave SL their creations disappear and we loose the “SL’s cultural heritage”. This is, from an artistic point of view, an horrible tragedy.

I would strongly suggest to Linden Lab to organize a sort of Museum, a special portal that allows people to visit, by paying a ticket, all the ‘saved Masterpieces’. Who decide which SIM’s are Masterpieces? Linden Lab... but also people, trough a specific link, could suggest by voting which SIM is a real Masterpiece...

32 minutes ago, ViandanteDuePuntoZero said:

It is evident that SL, along the years, has allowed some great artists to create authentic masterpieces. Unfortunately, when they leave SL their creations disappear and we loose the “SL’s cultural heritage”. This is, from an artistic point of view, an horrible tragedy.

I would strongly suggest to Linden Lab to organize a sort of Museum, a special portal that allows people to visit, by paying a ticket, all the ‘saved Masterpieces’. Who decide which SIM’s are Masterpieces? Linden Lab... but also people, trough a specific link, could suggest by voting which SIM is a real Masterpiece...

It's already being done if the region creators allow it:

https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2019/05/chouchou-second-life-linden-lab.html

Some very popular regions have been saved by LL.

The 3-region long cruise ship, the SS Galaxy is one of them.  I think Mont St. Michel is another.

And others have been lost.  Midnight Reflections and Greenies, for example.

I think you have an interesting suggestion.  Consider submitting it to LL as a feature request.  Go to the JIRA (the bug tracker system) here: https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa  Click the blue "CREATE" button as shown:

jira.jpg.ac8e3be053162060a8514cdabfc74ba3.jpg

Use "New Feature Request" as your issue type.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ViandanteDuePuntoZero said:

If art exhibits and museums are you thing, you should check out Sansar as that's the primary form of entertainment there. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

image.png.d80caa32aedb24b972d29772c4735791.png

4 hours ago, ViandanteDuePuntoZero said:

Keep calling them SIMs and Patch will ignore you forever.  They are "regions" and he hates it when people call them "sims".

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

image.png.d80caa32aedb24b972d29772c4735791.png

Keep calling them SIMs and Patch will ignore you forever.  They are "regions" and he hates it when people call them "sims".

And sometimes I use the words "sim" on purpose. I mean we have called the "regions"  SIMS for over 15 years.   ^^   That's how the meaning of words change out there in the "real world" :D. 

Just sayin'

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

Ah yes, a very good idea ...

Who gets to decide what is worthy of saving/preserving then? The Lindens themselves? The general user base? The content creators?

The obvious answer is . . . whoever is footing the bill. In this case, probably LL.

The primary reason LL might get behind such a plan is because they see benefits, in terms of retention, PR, or attracting new users to the platform by retaining particular content. The calculation of what to keep would be built around that assumption: what sims regions contribute in sufficiently positive ways to the platform to make it worth hosting them? Did they generate traffic, and, as importantly, do they represent SL as Linden Lab would want SL to be seen? A sex sim, for instance, might get a lot of traffic, but is that really the element of SL that the Lab wants to highlight? What would look good on a splash page, in an advertisement, or in a news story?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

The OP suggested one possible system.  Seems reasonable to me.

A system which - as we've seen within Second Life itself - could easily be abused.

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The obvious answer is . . . whoever is footing the bill. In this case, probably LL.

The primary reason LL might get behind such a plan is because they see benefits, in terms of retention, PR, or attracting new users to the platform by retaining particular content. The calculation of what to keep would be built around that assumption: what sims regions contribute in sufficiently positive ways to the platform to make it worth hosting them? Did they generate traffic, and, as importantly, do they represent SL as Linden Lab would want SL to be seen? A sex sim, for instance, might get a lot of traffic, but is that really the element of SL that the Lab wants to highlight? What would look good on a splash page, in an advertisement, or in a news story?

Linden Lab already decides.

-General reply-

The entire point of my initial response was to highlight that no one is going to fully agree on which places deserve to be preserved. Heck we just recently had an entire thread dedicated to an attempt to save a multi-sim artwork/RP installation and even there, not everyone was in agreement.

The post - and my point - is simple: You're not going to save much and you're not going to get enough people to agree on what "deserves" to be saved.

Personally? I'd thus far have only wanted to see the Acropolis, Numbakulla and a very small handful of Furry Community places (The Lost Furest and FurNation Prime among them) saved.

• Like 1

SIM! Always and forever (Agincourt salute)

More to the point, there is nothing in SL, despite its ephemeral seeming nature, that can not be saved. It is up to the originator(s) to do so. Yes, it would be lovely for the Lab to save certain things - oh look they already do. (nod to Solar there)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

A system which - as we've seen within Second Life itself - could easily be abused.

Yup,  I have more friend/group members/contacts/super fans than you (hypothetically)  so I get more votes for my region to be subsidised than you do 

• Like 3

Didn't anyone notice the OP said, "LL decides"?  With, he added, input from the residents.

They sort of do this already.  When the owners of the SS Galaxy regions announced they were no longer able to afford the upkeep, the cry went up for LL to step in and save the ship (literally!)

They did.

Anyway...why argue?  Any system for identifying and preserving SL's best would be better than having everything simply vanish into the ether.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 5

I love seeing some of the regions I created mentioned here :)  Midnight Reflections...Acropolis..

Wandering back to the past, a delicious feeling of longing, like returning to a beloved home, with an imagining that it would all be the same. Except it can't be. There was a German word that described it perfectly, a word we don't have in English.
The thing is, if I rezzed out one of those sims there would be a flatness, because these environments, no matter how lovely or innovative, are ultimately about the experiences we have there, often with other people.

I understood this more fully with a wildly popular region I once created named September Rainforest. It was the first one I boxed up to save, because I didn't want to lose these creations and also realized I could make some money by reselling them to others. As almost all regions go, the magic ended when the sim owner grew tired of the work required to keep it going, along with the drama that often surfaces when two or more are gathered. Well those who loved the region were heartbroken, and eventually one of them asked me to rez it again. Fortunately I had it in my inventory, although I felt the need to update it to bring it up to modern standards, and I wanted to build my own stage as in the original build I wasn't happy with the stage.
Much to the dismay of the former lovers of September Rainforest though, the magic was gone. They were sure it was because the former stage/dance area was different, and so the old one was put back in place. Still, no magic.

Anyway, not long ago I rezzed it for someone else who had great times in the original incarnation and remembered it fondly. She has her own dance club there, but doesn't expect 'the magic' to return in such intensity and has a more realistic appraisal of 'going back', loving what she has in the present. 

4 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Linden Lab already decides.

Kinda my point.

Which is not to say that they always make the best decisions. When Greenies disappeared, or most of AM Radio's installations, it probably appeared to them that SL was sufficiently vibrant and creative that they need only wait around for the next, even better expression of innovative creativity. And, although there have been many new and beautiful new things created since then, I'm not sure that was an entirely a good decision. To begin with, it's a little like suggesting that we don't need to worry about conserving the work of Monet because there is sure to be an even "better" and "more interesting" new painter along soon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Luna, you created Midnight Reflections!?  I didn't know that!  Although I should have guessed, I still have some of your glowy flowers.

Gosh, I loved that darn cavern!

Thanks!

Oh no, trying to remember which flowers I used...lol, and this brings up another example of how people relate to environments in SL.
A customer messaged me with a photo of a flower she once had and loved, asking for a replacement since she lost hers. This flower was technically horrid in my eyes, and I had long since removed it from the market (a bit blurry, white showing around the outlines, the 'slices' of the planes way too prominent). I really didn't want to give it to her, explaining how awful it was. But in the past she had many wonderful experiences when that flower was always present, and so it meant something to her and she could care less about how technically perfect it should be.  So I ended up sending it to her.

• Like 1

I don't think LL should foot the bill for these "museums". I do miss many builds from the past though, so I totally understand the sentiment. If we really love a build then it is up to the residents to start supporting the creator by donating tier or money on a regular basis to their land group to maintain those builds otherwise it's just wishes and lip service. I would like to see some kind of preservation on the part of the Lab though where they clone a region before it's demise and put into storage so that if at any time the money becomes available to pay the land fees those regions can be brought back online.

• Like 3

Well, I agree pretty much, Blush.  And I would never want to see LL "subsidizing" popular builds.

But, if a creator is really leaving, or has to quit paying for the upkeep on a great place, I think LL's "cost" to maintain a region online is pretty darn minimal (it's not anywhere near what we pay them!)  And, if they charged for admission as the OP suggested, it'd still be us residents paying the bill, or at least some of it.

3 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

But, if a creator is really leaving, or has to quit paying for the upkeep on a great place, I think LL's "cost" to maintain a region online is pretty darn minimal (it's not anywhere near what we pay them!)  And, if they charged for admission as the OP suggested, it'd still be us residents paying the bill, or at least some of it.

And then be default LL ends up subsidizing a build because the proposed income isn't a guaranteed amount unless residents commit to paying a monthly fee, which I seriously doubt would ever happen. I don't want to see those builds disappear forever either so cloning and putting in storage saves the build in case at some time in the future financial support is sufficient to pay the land fees for a given period of time. I know at one time I donated lindens to Ziki's group that has the last AM Radio build. I also know that support for that isn't sufficient to pay the tier fees either. So it's a labor of love on Ziki's part to maintain that build. It would be awesome if the Lab could reduce land fees for those types of builds with historical significance so that it would be easier to raise the required funds.

• Like 4

The hard part of LL taking care of a region just because the owner says they can no longer afford it is knowing if the 'cannot afford it' is really true or if it is more "does not want to pay for it any longer".

However, if there was a region that got a decent amount of traffic and showed SL in a light that LL wanted and/or represented some aspect of SL that LL thought worthy of preserving AND the owner passed, then I would totally be behind LL making the decision to keep such a place open.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I don't think LL should foot the bill for these "museums".

23 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Well, I agree pretty much, Blush.  And I would never want to see LL "subsidizing" popular builds.

Out of curiosity, why not?

If LL has determined that the relatively small sums involved add to the value of their product (i.e., SL), then why would they not?

I think there is a sort of mistaken assumption here that LL taking over and maintaining popular or interesting regions is somehow "doing favours" for the original region owner. It's not: it's entirely an exercise in self-interest.

To put it another way, they are simply appropriating something someone else has put the time, effort, and money into building, and turning it to their own advantage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Out of curiosity, why not?

If the Lab determines that it's in the best interest of the company to take control of a build and keep it online then sure. But LL is a business and that comes first. I honestly, think that there aren't that many builds that would meet that requirement, but then that's my opinion. The huge problem I see here is that the Lab would be putting themselves in a no win situation because no matter what criteria they use to determine which regions to adopt they will certainly without fail have residents crying fowl and favoritism.  That's why I believe residents should support the builds/regions they want to see continue in the world. Then no one gets blamed for playing favorites.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.